1.6 Update Dehydrator Appreciation Thread!

HaleyRocks

Farmer
This tiny, overlooked machine, is quite honestly, a hidden gem, a real goldmine just waiting to be explored! Post incorporating an entire shed, filled to the brim with it (137 pieces), i get big money, almost effortlessly, over the span of a single night! I quite literally forgot all about my kegs/casks, at this point!

My greenhouse is full of ancient fruit, with the maximum efficiency layout (119 pieces on harvest). My ginger island farm, has 15 iridium sprinklers, which can raise 360 of one crop, my most usual being Starfruit. One of my sheds, filled with Garden Pots containing Pineapples, yield 167 pieces. Ancient and Pineapple, need 7 days to regrow, while my starfruits' soil, contains Deluxe Speed Gro. Ancient Fruit = ~160,000 gold, Pineapple = ~ 110,000 gold, Starfruit = ~ 587,000 gold, plus the leftover pieces to be kegged, barelled, etc.

Of course, counting out my wild trees orchards with full mushroom log production line, which total out at 125 stacks per full harvest, of 5 mushrooms each.

Dehydrator turns out to be, the lazy, hasty farmer's, big money-maker! Thank you C.A. for implementing it, in the 1.6 update! <3

^_^

This tiny, overlooked machine, is quite honestly, a hidden gem, a real goldmine just waiting to be explored! Post incorporating an entire shed, filled to the brim with it (137 pieces), i get big money, almost effortlessly, over the span of a single night! I quite literally forgot all about my kegs/casks, at this point!
Dehydrator turns out to be, the lazy, hasty farmer's, big money-maker! Thank you C.A. for implementing it, in the 1.6 update! <3

^_^
I quite agree. CA really did well with this idea. There are truly many new and inventive ways to make money in this game thanks to new gadgets like the Dehydrator!

If forgetfulness is your biggest enemy when dealing with Kegs/Casks, then perhaps you could look into a Mod called the "To-Dew List" :smile:

...One of my sheds, filled with Garden Pots containing Pineapples, yield 167 pieces...
167? Perhaps you had meant to type 137? Or does the Iridium Scythe work on Potted Plants too in Version 1.6.8???

Well, one drawback of the dehydrator is that all 5 of the pieces that are input into the machine must be of the same quality. For instance, the Farmer cannot turn 3 regular grapes, 1 silver-quality grape, and 1 gold-quality grape into a raisin.

HaleyRocks

Farmer
167? Perhaps you had meant to type 137? Or does the Iridium Scythe work on Potted Plants too in Version 1.6.8???

Well, one drawback of the dehydrator is that all 5 of the pieces that are input into the machine must be of the same quality. For instance, the Farmer cannot turn 3 regular grapes, 1 silver-quality grape, and 1 gold-quality grape into a raisin.
Yes, 167! With Iridium Scythe, your Big Shed with growing crops inside, can be squeezed for extra profit, even further! I used this layout and i have one shed with pineapples only and one shed, with all crops that keep regrowing (minus pineapples, ancient fruit):

What's the approximate processing time of the dehydrator?
You put stuff inside during one day and it's ready, tomorrow morning!

What's the approximate processing time of the dehydrator?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Or does the Iridium Scythe work on Potted Plants too in Version 1.6.8???
As HaleyRocks said, the Iridium Scythe works with Potted Plants too though I don't have Shed filled with any plants. Instead I use the spaces between the Fruit Trees in the Greenhouse for Potted Pineapples and they're timed with the Ancient Froot so it's a single Scythey day in there to gather everything. It's an extra 38 or so Pineapples or 50+ if you want to plant them 2-deep as the Scythe has a pretty good reach and double stacked Magnet Rings will get even the rubber Fruits that like to bounce the wrong way to a feral life of freedom.

Draconifors

Planter
I need to craft more than one of them this time, once I can spare the 10k for the recipe.

They also look better than kegs or jars. Little wooden cupboards.

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Just keep in mind, it's expensive to craft in bulk. You need red quartzes (ideally with crystallarium support, in large batches at that too), long farming for clay at Ginger island dig site (my method was clean it completely, then visit it daily, break all items that are not clay and finally, break all clay simultaneously at 4th or 5th day in a row) etc.

It is very time and resources consuming. Especially if you want 137 of those machines, you have to farm, like there is no tomorrow!

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Just keep in mind, it's expensive to craft in bulk. You need red quartzes (ideally with crystallarium support, in large batches at that too), long farming for clay at Ginger island dig site (my method was clean it completely, then visit it daily, break all items that are not clay and finally, break all clay simultaneously at 4th or 5th day in a row) etc.

It is very time and resources consuming. Especially if you want 137 of those machines, you have to farm, like there is no tomorrow!
You don't need a lot of them though, they process so fast that having 137 of them is the equivalent in processing to having nearly 4300 kegs! (and that's accounting for the 6.25 day processing time of kegs vs the more practical 7 day cycle)

So unless you're harvesting 4.3k crops weekly you won't need that many of them

Draconifors

Planter

I'd never craft dozens of them. 10 at the most.

HaleyRocks

Farmer
You don't need a lot of them though, they process so fast that having 137 of them is the equivalent in processing to having nearly 4300 kegs! (and that's accounting for the 6.25 day processing time of kegs vs the more practical 7 day cycle)

So unless you're harvesting 4.3k crops weekly you won't need that many of them
119x Ancient Fruit, 167x Pineapple, those are guaranteed 1 harvest per 7 days.

360x Starfruit, i keep growing at Ginger Island and when i harvest, i replant.

My tree-fruits in the Greenhouse (3x Banana Tree, 3x Mango Tree, 2x each one of the rest trees)

5 huge wild tree + mushroom log orchards; translates into 125x mushroom pickups, or 625x mushrooms (a number of them are red mushrooms that cannot be processed but still, this alone fills more than 1/2 -> 3/4 of my big shed with 137 dehydrators)

Whatever else i might feel like using. I have another big shed with 167 pots, other than the pineapple one and i raise all regrowable crops, including cactus, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, Grapes etc.

HaleyRocks

Farmer
What floor can you find the fire quartz?
Post 1.6 update, it is no longer certain, or certain to find at big depths. I encounter lots of them in the Dangerous mines and Dangerous Skull Cavern, though. And quite frequently, in fishing treasure chests. They are notice-ably more rare than in 1.5 though, so putting them in Crystallariums is win-win. They also produce more Refined Quartz than their white version.

Suz

Cowpoke
Post 1.6 update, it is no longer certain, or certain to find at big depths. I encounter lots of them in the Dangerous mines and Dangerous Skull Cavern, though. And quite frequently, in fishing treasure chests. They are notice-ably more rare than in 1.5 though, so putting them in Crystallariums is win-win. They also produce more Refined Quartz than their white version.
I wish I found this forum sooner! I just used my one and only fire quartz! Ugh! If I had known! Now I do and have to hunt one down.

stardew_luv

Planter
Wait…old lady brain overload reading this post. Fish smokers, kegs, dehydrators, There’s lots going on here. What kind do money do each make and are their fish that make less smoking them than dropping them in the bin? Same for dehydrators. Which fruits, veggies, mushrooms are best to dehydrate versus kegging or preserve jars? Are you saying you ignore your greenhouse now cause this makes that much money? Forgive my aging brain farts.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
119x Ancient Fruit, 167x Pineapple, those are guaranteed 1 harvest per 7 days.

360x Starfruit, i keep growing at Ginger Island and when i harvest, i replant.

My tree-fruits in the Greenhouse (3x Banana Tree, 3x Mango Tree, 2x each one of the rest trees)

5 huge wild tree + mushroom log orchards; translates into 125x mushroom pickups, or 625x mushrooms (a number of them are red mushrooms that cannot be processed but still, this alone fills more than 1/2 -> 3/4 of my big shed with 137 dehydrators)

Whatever else i might feel like using. I have another big shed with 167 pots, other than the pineapple one and i raise all regrowable crops, including cactus, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, Grapes etc.
Still a far cry from ~4500 though, dehydrators process crazy fast

I understand having extra to process everything when you get it rather than having to go every day though, even if the mushroom logs only fill the dehydrators up ~1/2 for a single day it's better than them filling up a quarter the amount of dehydrators for multiple days

MogBeoulve

Farmer
What floor can you find the fire quartz?
Fire quartz appears past floor 80 in the mines. No one has confirmed that a code change has made it harder to find in 1.6.

Edit: to clarify, I don't think drop rate has changed, just that our perception has. A few people mentioned that they thought they saw more panning spots appear in 1.6. I also noticed more spots after the update dropped, but I don't HAVE the update. So it's just that I was paying more attention.

Last edited:

Suz

Cowpoke
Fire quartz appears past floor 80 in the mines. No one has confirmed that a code change has made it harder to find in 1.6.

Edit: to clarify, I don't think drop rate has changed, just that our perception has. A few people mentioned that they thought they saw more panning spots appear in 1.6. I also noticed more spots after the update dropped, but I don't HAVE the update. So it's just that I was paying more attention.
I have found one and have been reproducing them! Yah!

Antsy

Tiller
I don't like using the dehydrator for the most valuable crops although it certainly is quicker money. But it's great for higher value fruits that aren't quite good enough to displace ancient fruit and starfruit in kegs. With the dehydrator, rhubarb has really come into its own. (Now I can stop being irritable about the game calling a leafy vegetable a fruit.) Maybe when I have ridiculous amounts of starfruit or ancient fruit, I'll be willing to sacrifice some profit for speed and put them in dehydrators. And now that we can also make mushroom preserves, you have to think about what's the best way to use them too.