Solved Custom Mail Not Appearing? (SVE, East Scrap, Ridgeside, Its Always Raining in the Valley)

PizzaBagel

Greenhorn
Hi! I have a LOT of mods installed (85?) and I recently came across the issue where the custom mail from said mods is not appearing. I noticed this issue when I gave Clint the 20 iridium ore and 20 coal required in SVE to build the bomb to make the boulder go away- I received a letter the next morning, and when I tried to read it, it just disappeared with no letter popping up. I attempted to reinstall the MailFrameworkMod but had no luck in making the letter appear. I'm looking for a mod to potentially fix the issue, and I don't want to continue to the next day in case the boulder bugs out and I won't be able to access whatever is up there. There was also a letter that showed up the day before and did the same thing, but I didn't really register it at the time and continued to the next day.

Any advice? I'm somewhat new to modding so I may ask a lot of questions. The title includes the major extensions I've added, and I checked the SMAPI log thing that shows when you boot up the game and received no warnings in regards to the MailFrameworkMod.

Kreeate

Rancher
Hi! I have a LOT of mods installed (85?) and I recently came across the issue where the custom mail from said mods is not appearing. I noticed this issue when I gave Clint the 20 iridium ore and 20 coal required in SVE to build the bomb to make the boulder go away- I received a letter the next morning, and when I tried to read it, it just disappeared with no letter popping up. I attempted to reinstall the MailFrameworkMod but had no luck in making the letter appear. I'm looking for a mod to potentially fix the issue, and I don't want to continue to the next day in case the boulder bugs out and I won't be able to access whatever is up there. There was also a letter that showed up the day before and did the same thing, but I didn't really register it at the time and continued to the next day.

Any advice? I'm somewhat new to modding so I may ask a lot of questions. The title includes the major extensions I've added, and I checked the SMAPI log thing that shows when you boot up the game and received no warnings in regards to the MailFrameworkMod.
Hi,

Can you please upload your SMAPI log to https://smapi.io/log (see instructions on that page) and share the link here?

Kreeate

Rancher
Hi! Thanks for taking a look at this. Here's the SMAPI log. I'm gonna look over it as well and see if anything really stands out to me.

https://smapi.io/log/4f834a81092548029f63892430bdd788

Also I deleted stardustcore and Ridgeview because I thought that would help but no dice.
Hi again,

Thanks for the log.

Make sure you only have one only instance of this mod installed:
SB_PotC 1.1.5.zip-923-1-1-5-1560114161
SMAPI is reporting that you have multiple instances of the mod present.

Also, make sure you are using the UI Info Suite 2 mod and not the old version. Completely delete the old one, then install the new one.
In order for Happy Birthday mod to work, you need to install Stardust Core mod.
Remove the Horse Whistle Mod and install Horse Flute Anywhere mod instead. Completely delete the old one, then install the new one.

Once you have done all the above, please try to run the game again. Then please generate a fresh SMAPI log if any errors persist.

PizzaBagel

Greenhorn
Hi again,

Thanks for the log.

Also, make sure you are using the UI Info Suite 2 mod and not the old version. Completely delete the old one, then install the new one.
Remove the Horse Whistle Mod and install Horse Flute Anywhere mod instead. Completely delete the old one, then install the new one.

Once you have done all the above, please try to run the game again. Then please generate a fresh SMAPI log if any errors persist.
Hey Kree,

Fixed the mods you asked, and though they're working now (yay!) Still no luck with that letter.
Here's the updated log: https://smapi.io/log/1246cdf7de70479d91dd52028ecac78b

PizzaBagel

Greenhorn
Hi again,

Thanks for the log.

Hi again,

Sorry for the double message but I figured you might ask me to update the mods that were showing in the log, so I did that.
Here's the new new log: https://smapi.io/log/803bccef3a914a7bb07803c47677cd5f

The letter still isn't working, however I checked my old mail and the ones that are from different mods (SVE, ARITV, etc.) are still there, they're titled with '???'. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Let me know if I can make anything easier for you! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Kreeate

Rancher
Hi again,

Sorry for the double message but I figured you might ask me to update the mods that were showing in the log, so I did that.
Here's the new new log: https://smapi.io/log/803bccef3a914a7bb07803c47677cd5f

The letter still isn't working, however I checked my old mail and the ones that are from different mods (SVE, ARITV, etc.) are still there, they're titled with '???'. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Let me know if I can make anything easier for you! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Hello again,

Thanks very much for the updated log. I'll have a look and see what I can find out.
I'll also call on @MysticTempest here for assistance as the initial log does not give me any clear indications on a specific issue.

I'll keep digging and hope that @MysticTempest may be able to assist as well.

PizzaBagel

Greenhorn
Howdy @PizzaBagel, could you upload your save here.
How to find your save: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Find_your_save_files

I'm not too familiar with how MFM sends letters, but with ContentPatcher it's pretty much the same as vanilla SDV. So, we should be able to see at least some of the letters you currently have in your mailbox.
Maybe narrow it down further.
Hey Mystic!
I tried following the guide you gave, was a little confused but I think I got it right. Let me know if you need anything else, and thank you for helping out!

Attachments

Kreeate

Rancher
Hey Mystic!
I tried following the guide you gave, was a little confused but I think I got it right. Let me know if you need anything else, and thank you for helping out!

@MysticTempest for what it's worth, I've loaded the save file successfully, but when trying to read the available mail, it simply disappears as per the original issue. This is without any of the mods installed. My guess is that it's an issue with the save file perhaps?

Hey Mystic!
That's perfect thanks. More details below with my message to Kreeate.
Will edit it this post in a bit with a tweaked save.

Edit: Try the save attached. If everything looks good, as in the boulder is removed, etc...; than it's definitely a bug in SDV Expanded.

@MysticTempest for what it's worth, I've loaded the save file successfully, but when trying to read the available mail, it simply disappears as per the original issue. This is without any of the mods installed. My guess is that it's an issue with the save file perhaps?
Partially, the save.
I'm taking a look now as well. And, thanks for checking in-game!

The mailbox code shows:
Code:
    <mailbox>
      <string>RailroadBoulderRemoved</string>
    </mailbox>
Which as PizzaBagel mentioned was repurposed for SDV Expanded. I downloaded the most recent version of the mod earlier to look at the code.
I suspect it's a typo with how the quest was setup. It seems like it was meant to be added to 'mailreceived' which is where most in-game flags go.
But, a letter was sent. As I'm not seeing any code for an actual letter in SDV Expanded.
It's likely causing the issue. I'm going to try, & move it to where it belongs.

Attachments

PizzaBagel

Greenhorn
That's perfect thanks. More details below with my message to Kreeate.
Will edit it this post in a bit with a tweaked save.

Partially, the save.
I'm taking a look now as well. And, thanks for checking in-game!

The mailbox code shows:
Code:
    <mailbox>
      <string>RailroadBoulderRemoved</string>
    </mailbox>
Which as PizzaBagel mentioned was repurposed for SDV Expanded. I downloaded the most recent version of the mod earlier to look at the code.
I suspect it's a typo with how the quest was setup. It seems like it was meant to be added to 'mailreceived' which is where most in-game flags go.
But, a letter was sent. As I'm not seeing any code for an actual letter in SDV Expanded.
It's likely causing the issue. I'm going to try, & moving it to where it belongs.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you two helping out a stranger! I opened up a new save and ran through a few days, and I received mail from SVE just fine, so it may likely be something with that particular save file. Likely something happened while I was adding/removing mods.

@PizzaBagel & @Kreeate

Yea, just an extra follow up. I managed to get SDV Expanded minimally installed to test the save I edited into my previous comment above.
Though, I'll link back here as well: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/attachments/snowdin_300659671-zip.8028/

Moving the flag to 'mailreceived' launches the boulder removed cutscene in the morning, and obviously the mail is gone.
I've been perusing the SDV Expanded mod data.

This appears to be the affected section:

Code:
{ //Clint's special order #2 - removes summit boulder   ---> Quest is added to journal automatically
  "Action": "EditData",
  "Target": "Data/SpecialOrders",
  "Update": "OnLocationChange",
  "Entries": {
  "Clint2": {
    "Name": "[Clint2_Name]",
    "Requester": "Clint",
    "Duration": "Month",
    "Repeatable": "False",
    "RequiredTags": "event_8050107, !event_8050109",
    "OrderType": "",
    "SpecialRule": "",
    "Text": "[Clint2_Text]",
    "ItemToRemoveOnEnd": null,
    "MailToRemoveOnEnd": null,
    "RandomizedElements": null,
    "Objectives": [
        {
        "Type": "Donate",
        "Text": "[Clint2_Objective_1_Text]",
        "RequiredCount": "20", //2000g
        "Data": {
          "DropBox": "ClintCrate",
          "DropBoxGameLocation": "Blacksmith",
          "DropBoxIndicatorLocation": "13 13.3",
          "AcceptedContextTags": "item_iridium_ore"
        }
      },
      {
        "Text": "[Clint2_Objective_2_Text]",
        "RequiredCount": "20", //1000g
          "AcceptedContextTags": "item_coal"
        }
      },
    ],
    "Rewards": [
      {
        "Type": "Money",
          "Amount": "3000"
        }
      },
      {
        "Type": "Mail",
          "MailReceived": "RailroadBoulderRemoved",
          "Host": "true",
          "NoLetter": "false"
        }
      },
      {
        "Type": "Friendship",
        "Data": {}
      }
    ]
  },
 },
},

This line is inadvertently sending the letter:

Comparing it to the vanilla Special Orders. False is only used when you have corresponding letter data in the "Content/Data/Mail" file.
As this case is only using the letter as a trigger flag; no letter needs to be sent.
So, the line should be removed.

I'll see about creating a bug report for this.

PizzaBagel

Greenhorn
@PizzaBagel & @Kreeate

Yea, just an extra follow up. I managed to get SDV Expanded minimally installed to test the save I edited into my previous comment above.
Though, I'll link back here as well: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/attachments/snowdin_300659671-zip.8028/

Moving the flag to 'mailreceived' launches the boulder removed cutscene in the morning, and obviously the mail is gone.
I've been perusing the SDV Expanded mod data.

This appears to be the affected section:

Code:
{ //Clint's special order #2 - removes summit boulder   ---> Quest is added to journal automatically
  "Action": "EditData",
  "Target": "Data/SpecialOrders",
  "Update": "OnLocationChange",
  "Entries": {
  "Clint2": {
    "Name": "[Clint2_Name]",
    "Requester": "Clint",
    "Duration": "Month",
    "Repeatable": "False",
    "RequiredTags": "event_8050107, !event_8050109",
    "OrderType": "",
    "SpecialRule": "",
    "Text": "[Clint2_Text]",
    "ItemToRemoveOnEnd": null,
    "MailToRemoveOnEnd": null,
    "RandomizedElements": null,
    "Objectives": [
        {
        "Text": "[Clint2_Objective_1_Text]",
        "RequiredCount": "20", //2000g
          "AcceptedContextTags": "item_iridium_ore"
        }
      },
      {
        "Text": "[Clint2_Objective_2_Text]",
        "RequiredCount": "20", //1000g
          "AcceptedContextTags": "item_coal"
        }
      },
    ],
    "Rewards": [
      {
        "Type": "Money",
          "Amount": "3000"
        }
      },
      {
        "Type": "Mail",
          "MailReceived": "RailroadBoulderRemoved",
          "Host": "true",
        }
      },
      {
        "Type": "Friendship",
        "Data": {}
      }
    ]
  },
},
},

This line is inadvertently sending the letter:

Comparing it to the vanilla Special Orders. False is only used when you have corresponding letter data in the "Content/Data/Mail" file.
As this case is only using the letter as a trigger flag; no letter needs to be sent.
So, the line should be removed.

I'll see about creating a bug report for this.
Thank you Kree for helping out and linking Mystic and thank you Mystic for figuring it out! This has been a great introduction to the stardew valley community and I appreciate both of you helping so much.

So to clarify, launch the zip file you attached, or go into the [CP] Stardew Valley Expanded/content.json file, and remove this line of code?
and that's that?

Thank you Kree for helping out and linking Mystic and thank you Mystic for figuring it out! This has been a great introduction to the stardew valley community and I appreciate both of you helping so much.

So to clarify, launch the zip file you attached, or go into the [CP] Stardew Valley Expanded/content.json file, and remove this line of code?
and that's that?
No prob!
Use the save I linked to for now. As that fixes the mail issue on this save.
Just removing the line of code by itself wouldn't work. As the letter was already in your mailbox.

But, I also created a bug report for this.
So, if you create a new save that you intend to play on before it's officially fixed. Than yes; you'll want to remove that line of code; before getting to that special order.

natsuki2nd

Greenhorn
hi, I have the same situation, everytime I got mails and tried to read it, they'll dissapear. I have about 135 mods.