Cooking and Crafting, Ask Player what resources to use when multiples exist.

Phate4569

Planter
One thing that really REALLY irks me is when I cook or craft the game uses whatever resource it wants when multiples are available. It is pretty annoying to swap things in and out of fridges/chests if I don't want the game to use an Item or Quality that I think it shouldn't. (Or worse carry the items I want to craft with, as it completely defeats the purpose of fridges and workbench).

Things like "Any Fish", "Any Milk", "Any Egg" are the worst of the lot, I can have 9 Large Milk but only 2 Large Goat Milk, and somehow it uses all the goat milk. Or for example it used up all of my Iridum Hazelnuts before touching the lower qualities.

If the game detects multiple items it can use it should ask the player to choose.

(I'm on the Switch, version 1.5)

imnvs

Local Legend
It comes with how your inventory and/or fridges are arranged. If you click the arrange button it will automatically put things in an order that will use the lowest quality items first, by the way. Basically, though, the way the game chooses what item to use? First it starts in the lower right corner of your inventory and moves to the left, and if it doesn't find anything, moves up a row and starts at the right and moves left again, and then to the top row until it finds the item it needs. When crafting or cooking, it similarly starts at the lower right and works left and then up through the contents of that fridge or chest. I can not tell you which fridge or chest is checked first, though.

Phate4569

Planter
Through Trial and Error I discovered that, but if I have to go in and spot-reorganize the fridges and chests depending on what I am building/cooking it really defeats the purpose of even having the fridge and workbench, as it makes MORE work rather than less.

imnvs

Local Legend
Just click the "organize" button. That button arranges things so that the lowest quality is used first.

Also, don't store goat milk. Turn it into cheese. Sell goat cheese. Only store cow milk and cow cheese in fridges for cooking. Anything you don't want to accidentally use in cooking, put it in a chest. Same goes for chests arranged around a workbench. Don't store stuff in there you don't want to accidentally use in crafting.

Phate4569

Planter
The organize button only fixes the quality issue, but not the issue of using Any Fish (Say if I want to save some Clams for Fertilizer, or a certain fish for a Specific recipe), Likewise with eggs.

As for keeping goats milk, duck eggs, dino eggs, and the like; I do convert most of them but I Produce more than I convert, but keep some on hand in the event of an Item Delivery Quest, or in the case I run out of the product I mainly want to use (Like if I decide to make a ton of Pumpkin Soup for Skull Caverns and need some extra resources).

I have moved over to a separate quarantine chest for the "spares" I am holding, but it is kinda silly to have to do that. Again, if I am pulling stuff out of fridges/chests so I can make what I want, I might as well just not use the fridges or workbench.

I realize there are all sorts of workarounds, but really all they do is just overcomplicate crafting and cooking. I'm not looking for suggestions on how to work around the issue, I'm offering a suggestion to make crafting and cooking more robust.

imnvs

Local Legend
It would also take additional steps each time you want to cook something. I'd rather it stayed the way it is. Organizing chests is easy, and in solo play you're automatically paused while doing it.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I've got an entire chest in my fridge for stuff that I don't want cooked. It's one of those stone chests and I made it look kinda like a stainless steel deep freezer (the large freezers where you lift the lid). I don't think there's anything silly about doing that at all, and I think it's a smart thing to do if you want to save stuff for other purposes. Also, if you're going to be cooking or crafting most of them and not shipping them, then what does the quality of them have to do with anything?

You could also just grab the few ingredients you need out of your fridge and then use them to cook, since cooking starts with the player's inventory.