Complete newbie here, please help me with map choices!

IndiaHawker

Tiller
Hi all! Bought this game last night and love it already. It's like a wonderful combination of some of my other favourite games, and it's a great feeling being in that weird confusing newb stage of a game for the first time in ages! However I'm having some internal debate on different farm styles and want to make my mind up before progressing further! Originally went with the standard farm style, then decided I liked the look of the broken up fishing style farm, then went back to my standard save game. Now I'm looking at the different options and I'm really not sure - standard farm style has a lot of space but I feel like it's a bit boring - how many decorative options are there once I get a bit further in game? I'm guessing we can't alter the terrain shape? I do love the look of the hilltop farm with its different levels. Also the wilderness one looks pretty cool but haven't come across monsters yet much/at all, do they attack? Advice and beginner tips would be really appreciated please, thank you! :)

ISSsloth

Farmer
If you're having a hard time picking a map even as a seasoned player, a good choice is going with 4-corners as it has a bit of everything.

Johndeere756

Planter
Welcome. I am far from a expert, but it comes down to a personal choice. I have played on 3 different farms, and my favorite is the beach farm. I like the look, and the open space after you get it cleared. My son likes the hilltop best. I have never tried it, but I dont think I would like the wilderness farm. I am always trying to finish chores after dark, lol. I couldn't imagine fighting monsters while trying to water the blueberries. I do think the standard farm is probably the easiest, and not a bad choice for someone new. Anyway, best of luck and enjoy.

IndiaHawker

Tiller
Thank you both! I decided to bite the bullet and make a third save file with the hilltop farm - I love it!! Feel like there's a good amount of space to work with and design but arranged in a way that breaks it down into smaller areas, I really like it so far! Third time lucky - hopefully! I think I'd find that frustrating with the wilderness farm too, wanna be able to relax in my home area! I like the idea of the four corners but just love the design of the hilltop so much! :)

Worblehat

Planter
For what it's worth, I see the default standard farm as the first game farm to learn how the game works. Then for subsequent games you know what you find hard to get, most enjoy doing, or whatever, and choose the variant farm map accordingly.
how many decorative options are there once I get a bit further in game?
A lot. Like, seriously, a lot! There's an entire section of the forum for people showing off their elaborately decorated farms. Very impressive stuff. I try not to feel bad for my sparse, brutally utilitarian little starter farm. 🙂

Lew Zealand

Helper
For what it's worth, I see the default standard farm as the first game farm to learn how the game works. Then for subsequent games you know what you find hard to get, most enjoy doing, or whatever, and choose the variant farm map accordingly.

A lot. Like, seriously, a lot! There's an entire section of the forum for people showing off their elaborately decorated farms. Very impressive stuff. I try not to feel bad for my sparse, brutally utilitarian little starter farm. 🙂
Ooooooooohhhhhhh! I like that!

My next farm without question will be called Brutally Utilitarian Farm. If that Ape guy who's not King Kong failed to allow enough characters in the farm name to accommodate such a succinctly descriptive name for my farm designs (or the lack thereof), I may very well stop playing.

Or make a long farm name Mod. I'll call it the Worblehat Antidisestablishmentarianism Mod.

My life now has purpose. 🐬

LRangerR

Local Legend
My life now has purpose. 🐬
I like to think that my farm is somewhere between utilitarian and complete and utter chaos. Regardless, I may help you on your mod endeavors, mostly by pointing out the most obvious errors to you, eating popcorn, and providing you with idle chatter to distract you from coding.

In other news, does anyone choose which waifu/husbando they marry based on which farm map they're playing?

My two cents:

* Classic map: It has some of the most tillable land of any map. It's not a bad map, all told.
* Forest Map: It has far less farmable tiles than Classic, but forage items randomly spawn on the farm, including rare forage items normally only found in another location normally gated behind a steel axe. Furthermore, you have eight stumps which require a Copper axe to chop that give 25 foraging xp each plus Hardwood that respawn *daily*. But much of the map is tied up with a couple of larger sized ponds and some non-tillable grass.
* Mountain Map: Has one of the least amount of farmable tiles. Has an area that has respawning geode locations, but many shortcuts around the farm need an upgraded pick or axe to access.
* River Map: Least amount of farmable tiles of any map, but you can catch river fish on the farm.
* Four Corners Map: Has a bit of everything. As the name implies, the farm is split up into four areas, each one catering to a different playstyle. It has a couple of stumps like the forest map, a couple of geodes like the mountain map, but fewer than either dedicated map. It was released for the 1.4 multiplayer update.

Elenna101

Farmer
My two cents:

* Classic map: It has some of the most tillable land of any map. It's not a bad map, all told.
* Forest Map: It has far less farmable tiles than Classic, but forage items randomly spawn on the farm, including rare forage items normally only found in another location normally gated behind a steel axe. Furthermore, you have eight stumps which require a Copper axe to chop that give 25 foraging xp each plus Hardwood that respawn *daily*. But much of the map is tied up with a couple of larger sized ponds and some non-tillable grass.
* Mountain Map: Has one of the least amount of farmable tiles. Has an area that has respawning geode locations, but many shortcuts around the farm need an upgraded pick or axe to access.
* River Map: Least amount of farmable tiles of any map, but you can catch river fish on the farm.
* Four Corners Map: Has a bit of everything. As the name implies, the farm is split up into four areas, each one catering to a different playstyle. It has a couple of stumps like the forest map, a couple of geodes like the mountain map, but fewer than either dedicated map. It was released for the 1.4 multiplayer update.
* Beach map: Quite large, though not as many tillable tiles as the classic map. However, only ~200 of those tiles can have sprinklers on them. There's other options for where to use sprinklers, though, including a new spoilery thing. Better if you like doing lots of non-crop stuff (or if you plan to use a ton of rain totems or don't mind watering, I guess). Boxes of random semi-helpful stuff occasionally appear on the edges of the map. Released for the 1.5 update.