Community Question: What is your profession?

Beaker

Farmhand
@Jack Of Shades going back to what @Dorloris said, happy to have military people here. You guys have some understanding of what we've gone through, we know hot to talk to each other and avoid asking "dumb questions" so I thank you both for your service as well! I salute you.

@Dorloris It's shame this Covid mess put a obstacle in your plans, but hey at least you have looking something forward to, once this hopefully clears up. I'm on Los Angeles, CA so the whole increases in cases just might have set us back more... It's a shame since they just opened up the gyms and trails :heartrip:

Hey! But, that means more time in Stardew Valley :stardrop::bchicken:

Anhaga

Rancher
That's pretty interesting! Do you enjoy your career?
I do! It's been really exciting to do something similar-but-different after 17 years of doing the same thing. My current job is similar to teaching writing in that I'm doing the same kind of analysis of form and function, but only in this job it's no skin off my nose if the clients don't implement the feedback well . . . they're the ones risking a lawsuit, and my company has the paper trail to say, "I told you so!"

Hi to all the military folks! I was a military brat (my dad was both a Navy doctor and an Army doctor; he spent most of his career at Walter Reed, but was at Ft. Bragg for a while too) and when I was teaching (for American Military University/American Public University*) the vast majority of my students were somehow military affiliated. It was always scary when I'd hear about something bad happening in Iraq or Afghanistan, because I pretty much always had at least 2-3 students stationed in those places, but ironically the one time I had a student die during a course it was from a motorcycle accident. I felt so horrible for his family . . . he'd finished his degree just a few days before, and his poor wife was left mourning in a time when they were supposed to be celebrating.

*If any of you are considering doing coursework at one of these two institutions, be cautious. I have warnings to pass on if you PM me.

Dorloris

Sodbuster
I am a barista at Dunkin Donuts. :)
It's not a profession, or career but it's a better job that I had. Lol
Is it fun being a Barista I always wanted to try it I really love coffee? I known a few people who also use to be a barista they seem to enjoyed it.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'm an Unfrozen Caveman IT Janitor. You got some broken 1s and 0s, I can usually sweep 'em up and sort them back to their boxes. No qualifications, just tossed out 12 years of post-HS training for other stuff 'cuz I found didn't like it any more. I'm s - l - o - w sometimes. Actually the intervening years have been continual personal brain rehab as it was quite broken by then.
Nothing like military service, chances are that would have whipped the gray matter into shape a lot sooner, it worked a treat for my college roommate who dropped out to enlist. He knew what he needed and it was the best thing that ever happened to him and ofc he's career now. Life's funny sometimes.

ArtifactSpot

I used to be in childcare and also worked at our church for several decades, but now I’m disabled and no longer able to. So now I’m a SAHW and help around the house when able. I hang out with my wonderful hubby of 18 years whenever he’s not working and love on and care for our adorable fur baby when he is. (We always wanted children but it just wasn’t possible for us. So we have rescued and fostered dogs throughout our many years of marriage instead.) That about sums it up. ☺

ArtifactSpot

I worked as an animator for a little over a decade... at both Nickelodeon and DreamWorks television.

I quit earlier this year to go full time into indie game development though. :^)
Wow! Those are some big time companies! Hope your developing dreams come true. ☺

I'm a happy retiree for over a year.
Before that I did all sorts of things: care homes, children's facilities, postwoman, machine work (punching press and lathe) on piecework in two shifts, landscape gardener, draughtswoman, youth club, and finally 20 years as a freelance literary translator.
But the truth is that I'm an embroiderer and embroidery designer. That's what I do now, and it makes me happy.
haustuerfertig.jpg

Draconifors

Farmhand
I'm a (chemistry) lab technician, but not currently working in the field.

I've loved chemistry since my first-ever chemistry lesson almost 20 years ago, and knew from a young age what I wanted to be when I was older.