"Combat Buddies"

strugglingbean

Greenhorn
Hi!!
I've been enjoying Stardew for quite awhile but I am new to these forums. I absolutely love the game and with the 1.6 update I've started a second save file with my partner, already reaching year 3.
After marrying a villager, I started feeling like they became a little lifeless. I understand there are technical limitations as to what routines they can do on the farm without an unreasonable developing time investment.

What if marrying someone allows them to accompany us into combat as a supportive role? The concept of this would be similar to Kratos' son from god of war. Or our palico in Monster Hunter.

To put this suggestion into detail, mostly taken inspiration from other games:

Our companions may or may not have a healthbar. If they do, they can simply "retreat" (and heal up) instead of faint and come back a few moments later.
While they shouldn't do all the work for us, they could do minor damage to monsters, providing help such as taking aggro, knocking them back once in awhile. They could also provide us with small healing (for example 30 health when we're low).
When we faint, they're the ones bringing us to the hospital.
Their hitboxes are walkthrough-able unlike in town.
Cool and funny new speech bubbles lines could be added while they're in combat.

Having a companion like this would make some of the lategame trips less lonely too. (
Such as Ginger Island Volcano, Dangerous Mine, Skull Cavern
). Even if this won't fit into the game the way it is written, I'm thinking this could potentially help foster similar ideas or suggestions!

Thanks so much for reading!!

Heramegu

Greenhorn
In 1.6 was incorporated a mechanic alike you suggestion. I don't want to spoil, but you may see it as the game progress. Only thing to say, it doesn't bring your partner, so if your suggestion is to have your partner to do more interesting things, then I would suggest to develop those other ideas in another post.

Happy Stardew

Hi!!
I've been enjoying Stardew for quite awhile but I am new to these forums. I absolutely love the game and with the 1.6 update I've started a second save file with my partner, already reaching year 3.
After marrying a villager, I started feeling like they became a little lifeless. I understand there are technical limitations as to what routines they can do on the farm without an unreasonable developing time investment.

What if marrying someone allows them to accompany us into combat as a supportive role? The concept of this would be similar to Kratos' son from god of war. Or our palico in Monster Hunter.

To put this suggestion into detail, mostly taken inspiration from other games:

Our companions may or may not have a healthbar. If they do, they can simply "retreat" (and heal up) instead of faint and come back a few moments later.
While they shouldn't do all the work for us, they could do minor damage to monsters, providing help such as taking aggro, knocking them back once in awhile. They could also provide us with small healing (for example 30 health when we're low).
When we faint, they're the ones bringing us to the hospital.
Their hitboxes are walkthrough-able unlike in town.
Cool and funny new speech bubbles lines could be added while they're in combat.

Having a companion like this would make some of the lategame trips less lonely too. (
Such as Ginger Island Volcano, Dangerous Mine, Skull Cavern
). Even if this won't fit into the game the way it is written, I'm thinking this could potentially help foster similar ideas or suggestions!

Thanks so much for reading!!
Like the idea.
Similar to this: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/inviting-bachelors-or-bachelorettes-to-the-mines.20792/

strugglingbean

Greenhorn
In 1.6 was incorporated a mechanic alike you suggestion. I don't want to spoil, but you may see it as the game progress. Only thing to say, it doesn't bring your partner, so if your suggestion is to have your partner to do more interesting things, then I would suggest to develop those other ideas in another post.

Happy Stardew
You are right, I just got to that mechanic, which probably makes my suggestion obsolete!
(Unless, we somehow incorporate that mechanic into my suggested buddy system)

And yeah this looks pretty similar! Seems like it didn't catch much attention though.

Either way I'd just be happy to see our villagers become a little less lifeless after marriage, which was the main motivation of my post.

LRangerR

Local Legend
You are right, I just got to that mechanic, which probably makes my suggestion obsolete!
(Unless, we somehow incorporate that mechanic into my suggested buddy system)

And yeah this looks pretty similar! Seems like it didn't catch much attention though.

Either way I'd just be happy to see our villagers become a little less lifeless after marriage, which was the main motivation of my post.
Also this was one of my biggest complaints about HM, so I overlook it a bit, but still...