Collecting (rare) items

HaleyRocks

Farmer
This run around, i am planning to collect everything. Even the rarest of things. Yesterday, i finally managed to pick my Living Hat (sewers backroom with grubs). I now lack only:

1) Crystal Shoes
2) Work Boots

I faintly remember getting work boots during one of my Ginger Island expeditions, while fishing for tropical fish, early in the game before perfection achieved... But i trashed it, thinking i would find it again later (due to lack of inventory space). At this point, i didn't bother with clothing and i was none the wiser, concerning its outrageously low chance to be encountered. Now, i have been frantically fishing for a few days, i was lucky enough to find footwear inside chests, but it was Sneakers and Dark Boots, respectively... :'( While at it, i also saw that Golden Chests have a noticably lower chance to yield footwear (which is troubling, since i have them unlocked).

Any advice on what to do, for making my chances better, to come across those? I already cooked myself Lucky Meal and Ginger Ale with Qi Seasonings, plus i make sure to go outside during Very Happy Spirits days.

For Crystal shoes, i also utilize Monster Musk, in hopes "special monsters" spawn (in Skull Caverns they aren't obvious though, like slimes in the mines with dot symbol), yet no chance yet.

VampireCake

Farmer
Oh ....dear. :sweat:

I have 5,838 hours in SDV. I've found the Work Boots once.

As far as practical advice goes: I'm still looking for them on this save. I like treasure fishing in general, but it's more fruitful and less of a slog to combine it with some sort of fishing-related quest. There's the fish-culling Special Orders from Demetrius, which will also get you Prize Tickets, or a personal goal like catching each quality of every fish. (I've added each quality of every fish smoked to my own completionist plan as well.) There's also the Trout Derby and Squidfest.

The Crystal Shoes are less rare, but you could apply a similar logic - try not to make them your only focus. :cool:

Lew Zealand

Helper
This run around, i am planning to collect everything. Even the rarest of things. Yesterday, i finally managed to pick my Living Hat (sewers backroom with grubs). I now lack only:

1) Crystal Shoes
2) Work Boots

I faintly remember getting work boots during one of my Ginger Island expeditions, while fishing for tropical fish, early in the game before perfection achieved... But i trashed it, thinking i would find it again later (due to lack of inventory space). At this point, i didn't bother with clothing and i was none the wiser, concerning its outrageously low chance to be encountered. Now, i have been frantically fishing for a few days, i was lucky enough to find footwear inside chests, but it was Sneakers and Dark Boots, respectively... :'( While at it, i also saw that Golden Chests have a noticably lower chance to yield footwear (which is troubling, since i have them unlocked).

Any advice on what to do, for making my chances better, to come across those? I already cooked myself Lucky Meal and Ginger Ale with Qi Seasonings, plus i make sure to go outside during Very Happy Spirits days.

For Crystal shoes, i also utilize Monster Musk, in hopes "special monsters" spawn (in Skull Caverns they aren't obvious though, like slimes in the mines with dot symbol), yet no chance yet.
Crystal Shoes are an 0.2% drop from Skull Cavern Barrels and Crates so that's not horrible since you can just farm barrels and as it's Skull Cavern, you can have fun doing it. I have 2 pair in my current save.

But yeah, sorry about the Work Boots. I'd drop a stack of Diamonds to keep those.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

1) Crystal Shoes
2) Work Boots

What platform are you on, there are ways to force work boots so long as you don't mind utilizing a glitch (one that CA isn't removing)

Crystal shoes pretty much do what you're doing, you could optimize it with predictors by forcing monsters on specific tiles but that probably isn't worth it for a decently common drop

HaleyRocks

Farmer
What platform are you on, there are ways to force work boots so long as you don't mind utilizing a glitch (one that CA isn't removing)

Crystal shoes pretty much do what you're doing, you could optimize it with predictors by forcing monsters on specific tiles but that probably isn't worth it for a decently common drop
I am on PC. Latest game version! ^_^

I faintly remember getting work boots during one of my Ginger Island expeditions, while fishing for tropical fish, early in the game before perfection achieved... But i trashed it, thinking i would find it again later (due to lack of inventory space).
I’ve probably spent like 60 hours only searching for the work boots… and for you to… this is insane… the chance for you… and then you threw them… from someone who has been searching for years, I think there’s barely any chance for you to get them again, good luck

If I’m ever tortured the best method to get me to spill information is to show a video of exactly what you did

In my current save, I remember getting them early, even before reaching Level 120 of the regular Mines for the first time. Later, I somehow managed to get another pair in the Skull Caverns.

Yesterday, i finally managed to pick my Living Hat (sewers backroom with grubs). I now lack only:
Wow! You finally got a Living Hat! Lucky lucky you! Many congratulations!

Across my 4 saves and over 1500 hours of playing, I have NEVER come across that ultra-rare wonder!

HaleyRocks

Farmer
I don't know if that helps, but

1) My living hat came from the backroom in the sewers, in which grubs spawn and the Magic Ink quest, took place. Destroying weeds with scythe, during a very lucky day, taking care to swing at them from such a positioning, that items wouldn't drop in the water (this needs practice). Any place that many weeds spawn together is good to go, though. There are a handful of spots in the city (next to the community center, above Jodi's house, on the road to the bookseller), too. Although the best one is down in the sewers. I have no idea if lucky day plays a role, or buffs; but i ate gold star lucky lunch + ginger ale.

2) When i first met Work Boots, it was from a bubbles spot in Ginger Island. I had no idea how rare they were and so i trashed them, because i needed inventory space. I also found rubber boots in the same session and trashed them too, but getting those from special green slimes was pretty easy and straightforward.

Now, my plan to get them again sometime, involves: Double Lucky rings, Very Happy spirits day, Magic Rock Candy + Gold star Ginger Ale, fishing at an area with multiple fish types all day long and most of them being easy (i prefer ocean during winter (Willy's beach), fishing at fishing zone 5 (the Crimsonfish fishing spot became my favorite) and having the Advanced Iridium rod with Magnets and Double Treasure-Hunter tackles. Plus the special item from hidden notes, Lucky Charm.

On average, i find 1 footwear item per day (the day before yesterday, i even found 2). All different, at least up to now. I am positive that if i keep this up, i will get Work Boots (again) eventually!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
In my current save, I remember getting them early, even before reaching Level 120 of the regular Mines for the first time. Later, I somehow managed to get another pair in the Skull Caverns.

Wow! You finally got a Living Hat! Lucky lucky you! Many congratulations!

Across my 4 saves and over 1500 hours of playing, I have NEVER come across that ultra-rare wonder!
I have played over 4000 hours and only just got it for the first time a couple weeks ago!

It's easy enough to farm for in a matter of a couple hours but I've never cared too much for that, and running into it naturally makes it all the better

Tyrax Lightning

Greenhorn
Curiosity: Are Work Boots even Final Gear Spec worthy...? Playing again for the first time in ages after a long hiatus. It's amazing what's changed in this time. :)

Edit: Also, is this a new Stardew Valley Forums? I Posted where I last knew the SDV haunt to be then got re-directed to here and found myself having to Register here. Did SDV move its 'official home' from here: https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/please-help-this-games-using-an-alien-color-code.178261/ to this place during my Hiatus? 😕

VampireCake

Farmer
Curiosity: Are Work Boots even Final Gear Spec worthy...? Playing again for the first time in ages after a long hiatus. It's amazing what's changed in this time. :)
Nope. They have only +2 defence. You could custom-tailor them togther with another pair with better stats to use their appearance, but on their own they're pretty rubbish. :boot:

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Found Crystal Shoes! Now, only Work boots and my collection is complete! I have gathered up all rarities and oddities, minus a big chunk of items, from the Desert 3-days festival! BTW, the Living hat is very funny, it reminds of a roman emperor or something, lol!

Last edited: