Linux Co-op mode doesn't work with Unicode $HOME

davispuh

Greenhorn
Hi,

I have my $HOME dir at "/home/Dāvis" (Unicode "ā") and this causes co-op mode to not work. You always get stuck forever waiting on "Connecting to online services".

Ekrānattēls_20240321_223542.png

In game's log can see
Code:
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded '/home/Dāvis/.steam/sdk64/steamclient.so' OK.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 413150
SteamInternal_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: ZZZZZ [API loaded no]
[game] Error initializing the Galaxy API.
Galaxy.Api.GalaxyInstance+RuntimeError: Std Error[N5boost6system12system_errorE]: boost::filesystem::path codecvt to string: error
   at Galaxy.Api.GalaxyInstance.Init(InitParams initpParams)
   at StardewValley.SDKs.Steam.SteamHelper.Initialize() in D:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SDKs\Steam\SteamHelper.cs:line 90
[game] Galaxy SignInSteam failed with an exception:
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at StardewValley.SDKs.Steam.SteamHelper.onEncryptedAppTicketResponse(EncryptedAppTicketResponse_t response, Boolean ioFailure) in D:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SDKs\Steam\SteamHelper.cs:line 251
I found a workaround by symlinking $HOME to directory with another name and then set this path to HOME env variable.
Code:
$ ln -s $HOME /tmp/ascii
$ HOME=/tmp/ascii
Also btw I'm on Arch Linux with latest Stardew Valley Linux version from Steam.

PS. If you search online for stuck on "Connecting to online services" then many people had such issues but it's not clear if this was reason or something else. More useful error message in game would be a lot better!