Windows Can't launch Stardew Valley through Steam.

SneakyJ

Greenhorn
Hi, I'm having trouble launching an unmodded, fresh Stardew Valley through Steam and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I run my machine on a Windows 11 64 bit system. Stardew Valley and Steam is installed on a different drive (not local).

I can launch it just fine if I run from the executable, but if I try launching through Steam it will consistently crash just after the ConcernedApe Logo page and after the first "click" sound. It will freeze twice. Unfortunately, running from the executable does not allow me to join my friends in multiplayer, which is why I'm here. I receive no error logs when the game crashes.

I had one instance of it not crashing, and I have no idea why. Initially I thought it was because I had turned off an app called "Sonic Virtual Sound Studio", but after disabling that service and restarting, the game still crashed.

So far these are the things that I have tried, reading many other crash/launch failures reports:
  1. Repair/Reinstall XNA framework
  2. Deleting the startup_preferences file in %AppData%/StardewValley
  3. Deleting Save files
  4. I'm not running Riva Tuner or any other similar programs.
  5. I do not have the "FrescoLogic Display Adapter".
  6. I run a Asus rog strix z690-a motherboard, but I do not use the onboard audio drivers. I use a FocusriteScarlett 2i2 for my speakers, and then a Steelseries Arctis 5 for a USB headset
    • Changing these devices, unplugging the Focusrite and only having the headset, vice versa, or unplugging both (and restarting on each time) seems to have no effect.
  7. I have tried installing the Net 5+ framework (desktop runtime) and the Net 8 as well, no luck there.
  8. I have no launch options set in steam
  9. Launching through Steam without the Steam Overlay
  10. Turning off Steam Remote Play
  11. Launching through steam with the Stardew .exe in Compatability mode (for both Windows 7 and Windows 8
  12. Launching steam in Administrator mode
  13. Verifying the integrity of the steam files
  14. Clearing my Steam Download cache and redownloading Stardew Valley

At this point I'm just looking for the next thing that I can do to try and play Stardew, so any help is welcome.

SneakyJ

Greenhorn
Minor update: If I run Stardew in the XNA Compatability mode for 32 bit systems (through Steam beta participation options), it works fine.
Very confused though, as I'm not running a 32 bit system...

SneakyJ

Greenhorn
Another update:

I fixed it without running compatability mode, so for anyone checking out this thread in the future.

I went into the local files for steam, (which in my case was DRIVE:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley) and found a file called "Galaxy64.dll", deleting this file and then running the game has seemed to fix it. Bear in mind though, that deleting this file will not allow you to play multiplayer. Once the file is deleted, the game will get stuck on a "loading coop services screen"

Last edited: