Can you catch the ice pip if dangerous mines are active?

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I went to floor 60 with a curiosity lure, but all I got was ghost fish. Now, that could be simply be bad luck, but I'm wondering if I should turn dangerous mines off so the biome goes back to ice. Does anyone know if it makes a difference?

Godkin

Planter
This rare fish thrives in very cold conditions. As explained earlier, this fish is rare and requires more opportunities to be caught. The chance of getting an Ice Pip depends on the fishing level and the fishing zone in that place. By using the Curiosity Lure, the chance can be increased by 4.5%. For example, by fishing level 10 and fishing zone 5, the chance of catching an Ice Pip is 6.45%. However, when using the Curiosity Lure, that chance increases to 10.95%. This goes to show how important these factors are in determining success in catching a rare fish like the Ice Pip.

Bawby

Planter
I wouldn't think it would make a difference. However, on my play in regular mines, with no lure, I had 2 chances to catch the pip, failed, and caught the next day while better equipped with a trap bobber. With that catch was about 2 dozen ghostfish and 2 chests worth of trash... Anyways! Point is, they're rare, but you should've had a crack at 'em by now. Keep trying and let us know!

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I figured it wouldn't hurt to try switching after another day of failures, and caught it on the first day the mines had reverted to regular. So to me, that's pretty suspicious, though not definitive.

Four fish left for master angler! The +5 fishing buff from qi-seasoned seafoam pudding is coming in clutch.

Quirinea

Farmer
One way to check that would be a mod that shows which fish can be caught and where. At least Teh's fishing overhaul does that. There may be others (I suck at the fishing minigame and the fishing mods have been a saver... )

ambut

Newcomer
In case anyone gets here from Google like I did, you can catch the ice pip if you have dangerous mines active.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yeah you 100% can, Ice pips are just generally very painful fish to catch due to the abundance of ghostfish on level 60 and no real alternative for them like the caldera is for lava eels.

Just keep casting away and you’ll hopefully hook one up quickly.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to try switching after another day of failures, and caught it on the first day the mines had reverted to regular. So to me, that's pretty suspicious, though not definitive.

Four fish left for master angler! The +5 fishing buff from qi-seasoned seafoam pudding is coming in clutch.
Congratulations! I have four fish left, too. Unfortunately, one is the elusive octopus. :bored:
Good luck to us both! ^_^

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Ice pips and Lava Eels, the latter before reaching Volcano, are among the hardest catches or rather, encounters, in the entire game. Oh and octopi, damn that octopi! I spent entire days (in-game time), in order to finally meet one. Which means, abandoning everything first thing in the morning and going to mines, to fish.

You want to have that tackle equipped on your rod, which makes the fishing bar deplete slower, when the fish hops around to escape. I still cannot get over the traumatic experience of my first ice-pip bite, going to waste, after having spent so much time hunting for it. You might also want to consume a fishing-buffing food in advance and utilize some bait, in tandem.