Windows Can i try something with my current save file (for 2 days) and then just reinstall the old one without problems? (no mods)

i just want to try something and it takes more than one day, so i can't simply restart the day. so i thought about going offline (disabling cloud), save my current save file, do it and then just replace it with my old one. is that possible without any problems? playing on steam, no mods

Lew Zealand

Helper
I took everything in my Stardew Saves folder and copied the entire contents to a safe spot before v1.6, that way I lose nothing and can play the older version on any of them if I prefer. I got used to this when all I had was Stardew on GOG using the standalone installer, so no cloud saves. If PC goes kaput so do my saves, so I learned to move them to a backup location… whenever I feel like it. Aaaand remember… Or the computer does something funny and I go, craphaventbackedupin3months!!

I took everything in my Stardew Saves folder and copied the entire contents to a safe spot before v1.6, that way I lose nothing and can play the older version on any of them if I prefer. I got used to this when all I had was Stardew on GOG using the standalone installer, so no cloud saves. If PC goes kaput so do my saves, so I learned to move them to a backup location… whenever I feel like it. Aaaand remember… Or the computer does something funny and I go, craphaventbackedupin3months!!
ok thanks for ur answer...but if the game is updated there's no way going back to older versions or? mainly because of the clipping glitch...
i mean look at this xD...crap! https://forums.stardewvalley.net/th...to-say-goodbye-to-my-current-layout-xd.28060/

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
ok thanks for ur answer...but if the game is updated there's no way going back to older versions or? mainly because of the clipping glitch...
If you have not opened your save (or maybe even played through a day as SDV only saves at the end of the day) in the current version 1.6, then it is still OK. Make that backup of your saves folder.

There is an option in Steam to keep playing the 1.5.6 version of the game so you can keep your favorite Farms as you like them but I haven't tried how to do that yet. I think @Magically Clueless posted about how this is done, maybe in the v1.6 announcement thread, I'll look for it.

If you have not opened your save (or maybe even played through a day as SDV only saves at the end of the day) in the current version 1.6, then it is still OK. Make that backup of your saves folder.

There is an option in Steam to keep playing the 1.5.6 version of the game so you can keep your favorite Farms as you like them but I haven't tried how to do that yet I think @Magically Clueless posted about how this is done, maybe in the v1.6 announcement thread, I'll look for it.
i went offline a week ago, because updates couldn't be stopped otherwise. and i can't find the menu where i can chose older versions if i update it. i mean look at this "japanese density" xD what a mess https://forums.stardewvalley.net/th...to-say-goodbye-to-my-current-layout-xd.28060/

There is a bit of a way around it but it is pretty bad. Probably not very good with sheds either.
not really xD for ****s sake. sat the last 2 or 3 days here tryin' to find a solution. all terrible. guess i'll stay on 1.5 til i realized and did all the stuff i want to do, and then i'll have to destroy a lot to enjoy the new update without any losses. i'll see it as a chance because:
Sometimes, you have to destroy something in order to build something better

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member

There is an option in Steam to keep playing the 1.5.6 version of the game so you can keep your favorite Farms as you like them but I haven't tried how to do that yet. I think @Magically Clueless posted about how this is done, maybe in the v1.6 announcement thread, I'll look for it.
Go to 'Properties' of Stardew Valley in your Steam library, there is a 'Betas' section and in the drop-down list you should be able to switch to 1.5.6

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
not really xD for ****s sake. sat the last 2 or 3 days here tryin' to find a solution. all terrible. guess i'll stay on 1.5 til i realized and did all the stuff i want to do, and then i'll have to destroy a lot to enjoy the new update without any losses. i'll see it as a chance because:
Sometimes, you have to destroy something in order to build something better
Yeah I’ve already come up with some new designs for my farm too. No matter what it is going to be worse but at least it is fun making a new design.