Windows Can I have Stardew Valley 1.5 and Stardew Valley 1.6 installed on the same computer?

If anyone knows a way to do this, please show us how.

The reason that this would be cool for me is that I am currently playing the game with several mods on Windows 10 that might not work once the game is updated to 1.6. Furthermore, some of the Mods that I am playing with now have been abandoned -- no updates are being done to them or have been done for over a year.

I am currently playing with Stardew Expanded and would love to play with Ridgeside Village alongside it in my next playthrough along with several "quality of life" mods that will likely not work with version 1.6

Lew Zealand

Helper
You could do this if you bought SDV from Steam and GOG. Each keeps it's binary of the game in a different location and while I don't mod (yet), I thiunk the mods go in the same folder that SDV is installed into. So they would stay separate. Steam autoupdates Stardew (so you'd get v1.6 automatically) but you can use the Offline Installers for the GOG version 1.5.6 and never update it.

THAT SAID.

They still use the same location in your user folder for both of their Saves. And they can live side by side but you need to take care to open the right save in the right version so you don't trigger an upgrade of a 1.5.6 version save to 1.6.x. Maybe making a regular manual backup of your SDV Saves folder would be good so nothing happens.

Hey.
psst........
yeah you.
That's a nice \\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves folder ya got there.

Be a shame if sumpin' was tooo.....

ah....

happen to it.

Knowhutimean, bud?

You could do this if you bought SDV from Steam and GOG. Each keeps it's binary of the game in a different location and while I don't mod (yet), I thiunk the mods go in the same folder that SDV is installed into. So they would stay separate. Steam autoupdates Stardew (so you'd get v1.6 automatically) but you can use the Offline Installers for the GOG version 1.5.6 and never update it.

THAT SAID.

They still use the same location in your user folder for both of their Saves. And they can live side by side but you need to take care to open the right save in the right version so you don't trigger an upgrade of a 1.5.6 version save to 1.6.x. Maybe making a regular manual backup of your SDV Saves folder would be good so nothing happens.
Thank you for the swift reply.

I only purchased Stardew Valley using Steam. I guess that I could avoid playing 1.6 after March 18 simply by not running Steam. I love this game so much that I might actually consider buying it on GOG for this purpose (though from the time of this post, I have less than 10 days to do this)

You shouldn't need to purchase a whole separate copy of the game for this. If you create a copy of your game folder (see the wiki for where to find this) and place it somewhere else on your computer, you should be able to launch that second copy of the game, and it won't be updated when 1.6 is out.
Interesting... Has anyone else tried this before?

If not, then I may try it out and post here if it worked next weekend.

EDIT:
Hmmm... the more I think about this, I am thinking that this COULD be a way to be able to separate un-modded Stardew Valley from modded Stardew Valley or even a way to have one "version" of the game that runs one set of mods and then another "version" that runs a completely different set of mods on the same computer.

It's the method Pathos, who develops SMAPI, recommends, so I would think so. However, it's not something I have tried, so I can't personally speak to this method.
So I've created a new folder in my "Program Files" directory and then copied everything from my main Stardew Valley directory to this new directory including the SMAPI executable. However, when I ran that SMAPI executable in my new duplicated directory, the application started up, then just closed 5 seconds later without running Stardew Valley :frown:

Odin

Staff member
You may need to reinstall SMAPI and point it specifically to the new location you set up? I'm not sure if that will resolve the issue, but I do know when you first install it you point it to a specific file path and moving things later could mess it up?

You may need to reinstall SMAPI and point it specifically to the new location you set up? I'm not sure if that will resolve the issue, but I do know when you first install it you point it to a specific file path and moving things later could mess it up?
I think that is probably what happened. I wonder if it is possible to specify which directory to use every time SMAPI is run with the newest version (3.18.6). Otherwise, I may have to reinstall SMAPI each time I wish to toggle between Stardew 1.5 and 1.6

There is also a new option to stick around on 1.5.6, courtesy of CA:
Whoa! Far out! Thanks for letting me know! :heart:

EDIT: Sadly...

The Prestige MOD that I use is nowhere to be found on that list. Also, the Luck Skill MOD that I'm currently using is listed as "1.6 only: Broken, not updated yet" and the Level Extender MOD that I wish to try out once I have prestiged all my vanilla Skills to 100 and Luck to 10 is listed as "1.6 only: Broken, not open-source" :frown:

So... how would I access this "Public Steam Branch" that would allow me to stay at version 1.5.6? Right now, I am scared to log into Steam as I do not wish to start a 1.6 playthrough until the middle of May at the earliest.

Last edited:

Brownie_Bunnie

Greenhorn
I had the same issue as you, and while I can't figure out how to have two instances of the game (currently looking into that) for now you can right click SV on steam, hit properties, hit betas, and if you click the "none" in beta participation, you can change it to legacy 1.5.6. It seems to work for me? I noticed my vanilla 1.6 playthrough didn't pop up but all of my old saves did. When I switched back to 1.6, my 1.6 save popped up (and so did all of my other saves).

I imagine if you're fine messing around with smapi files (and switching back and forth between versions on steam) you could have both a modded 1.6 and a modded 1.5.6 game as long as you were careful to not misclick during 1.6 and hit your old save (im guessing it may disappear from the 1.5.6 saves).

Edit: I found a reddit thread regarding this; I'm new to forums so hopefully I can have a link? https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...ide_on_keeping_your_modded_15_game_after_the/

Last edited: