Can I get a new pet?

So I started my first SDV, and I thought that I had chosen a cat as my pet but I guess not cause a dog showed up to adopt. I was being petty about it and rejected the option to adopt the pet but now I'm through year 1 and the option hasn't come up to adopt again like I had hoped.

Does anyone know if there's still a way for me to get the SDV cat of my dreams?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Unfortunately I don't think you can get a pet now unless you're on PC/Mac and can edit your save file. Even if you had accepted the Dog from Marnie, you couldn't have changed it to a Cat in-game as the only options are to change the type of Dog or Cat you have using an in-game mechanic that's available later.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I found the same link that VampireCake did but hesitated to post it as it addressed editing the save file to switch a pet but not to add a pet if it didn't exist already. There's also a Reddit post from 2 years ago with your exact question but unfortunately no answer.

So I searched my save files for 'pet' and found that there doesn't seem to be a yes/no or 0/1 switch for a pet in the game. So IMO your best bet will be to try the instructions in VampireCake's link but please make a backup copy of your save first before doing anything.

FYI the relevant string in the save file is:

<catPerson>true</catPerson><whichPetBreed>1</whichPetBreed>

You can search for a subsection of this like "catPerson" to find it and just change it to what you see here as I think I have the gray cat in this save.

If you want, I can make detailed instructions of what to do if VC's link is not clear enough.

imnvs

Local Legend
Thanks for your responses everyone, unfortunately I'm on the switch so it looks like I'm out of luck for now. Oh well!
Yeah, if you're on the Switch, in this particular save you are out of luck. Sorry. When you do a new save, though...