1.6 Update But why?

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Can't you get prismatic shards from the new question mark loot boxes? And one of the mastery rewards is a chance to find one as well. So it makes sense to adjust their prevalence elsewhere.

Maybe it's just me. I've just never found this game to be crazy difficult. Well, that and I'm not so super attached to it that I'm crushed by any changes the update will bring (I'm still waiting for it since I don't like playing on my PC).

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Can't you get prismatic shards from the new question mark loot boxes? And one of the mastery rewards is a chance to find one as well. So it makes sense to adjust their prevalence elsewhere.

Maybe it's just me. I've just never found this game to be crazy difficult. Well, that and I'm not so super attached to it that I'm crushed by any changes the update will bring (I'm still waiting for it since I don't like playing on my PC).
If waivers let you access the Statue of True Perfection without manually completing each and every task legit, then maybe this might be fair. The question mark boxes aren't exactly abundant or commonplace and they have a very large loot-table, with miniscule chance of each and every item. And the number of uses of Prismatic Shards, have been upped...

Lew Zealand

Helper
As someone who never saw very many Prizzy Shards before, I've been rolling in them in v1.6. I get 3 or 4 each time:

Lucky day and Buffs
Stairs to Level ~100 in Skull Cavern
Toss down Stairs if too many Monsters
Bomb a bunch
Eat Cheez
Toss down some Stairs if the Bombs didn't uncover any

Warp back home when you get bored

If I didn't know better, I'd guess the Prizzy Shard drops were higher but it's just better strategy. And... well, not being afraid of Skull Cavern? Eating Cheez all the time instead of trying to conserve it or something. I have 2 Cows and 300 freekin' Chez for a reason.

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
I....don't really understand the gripe about this. Once I unlocked the skull caverns and used stairs to get to some of the deeper levels, I was getting prismatic shards pretty decently. It still sucks to have to grind em, but instead of focusing on that, I just went into the caverns to kill monsters for the guild and get ore. Made it feel less grindy and a lot more surprising to get one.

Also, make sure the spirits are in good humor at the very least. Eat a lucky lunch and even have the lucky ring if you got it. Higher your luck, higher chance of getting one. Stairs to 50+ make the chances higher, iirc. I always recommend 100+ and if you're gonna do it, do it asap at 6am with a desert totem so you have as much time as possible. Keep food on you for health. I used Sashimi cause it was so easy to make and gives a lot of life, but eventually switched to magma shrooms from Ginger Island.

Other resources for Prismatic shards are omnigeodes, both versions of the mystery boxes and I believe golden coconuts.

Benhimself

Rancher
Another way to look at it: Your endgame prismatic shard farming from the skull cavern is very, VERY marginally less effective. And in return, for early game you get mystery boxes (including a chance of prismatic shard drops) and prize tickets and power books and much better returns from meteorites (including a chance of prismatic shard drops), and in endgame you have all the mastery bonuses which, frankly, blow all tool enchantments out of the water (including, via farming mastery's statue of blessings among other things, a chance of prismatic shard drops)