1.6 Update But why?

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
This... Is so cruel, so cold! Why, just why? Prismatic Shards are extremely hard, to the point of annoying, to come by, especially if you need to fully micromanage enchants, cover museum donation and get your late game weapon(s)!

Why was the chance to get one out of iridium nodes, dropped to an even lower number than before (which was already pretty low)?

Please tell why!

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Okay, like seriously, like, for real? What is this frenzy, with making the already extremely rare Prismatic Shards, even rarer? With the newest update, the already pretty rare to drop meteorite, got its chance to yield one, severely nerfed (from 100% -> 25%).... What is C.A. doing? And now that those items are needed in greater bulk too, since there are new tools that can be enchanted?

Can somebody please explain to me how or why, this is good for the players, or why it is being considered an "upgrade"? Do we get the statue of true perfection earlier or easier than before, or something? Just what on earth is happening, here?

ArtifactSpot

Okay, like seriously, like, for real? What is this frenzy, with making the already extremely rare Prismatic Shards, even rarer? With the newest update, the already pretty rare to drop meteorite, got its chance to yield one, severely nerfed (from 100% -> 25%).... What is C.A. doing? And now that those items are needed in greater bulk too, since there are new tools that can be enchanted?

Can somebody please explain to me how or why, this is good for the players, or why it is being considered an "upgrade"? Do we get the statue of true perfection earlier or easier than before, or something? Just what on earth is happening, here?
I don’t know as I don’t have the new version yet, but that sounds like it sucks. Tea sapling prices being cut in half sucks too. And clay farming is supposedly way harder. Much harder to make money easy on with the limited resources available to new players. It’s his game so he can do whatever he chooses with it. However if it was to be more fair he should have reduced later game ancient fruit and starfruit wines too. But again, for a pay once for always game that has lots of other fun to enjoy within it we can’t be too picky. He’s still the most committed and fair of developers I know. He lets people mod the heck out of his original game, making it funnest and best for them. Most developers don’t let you do that. Or if they do there is a hefty price tag alongside it. It’s been a pay once per platform game forever, never charged for upgrades. I’ve read and watched a lot about the new update and people are truly divided between absolutely loving it and the disappearance of their favorite ways of doing things. But being mobile i had a lot of time to read and watch about mixed reactions going from 1.4 to 1.5. But really most games you play these days have love-hate relationships with updates, especially mobile games, again with paywalls or hefty price tags.

I have a feeling 1.6 will have things I love and others I dislike a lot. Like I loved everything about the 1.5 update, but also hated the addition of Mr Qi’s perfection crap. It almost ruined it for me, and I’m never going there again. It’s back and more intense with 1.6 now, that from everything I’ve seen I absolutely hate too. But I love the looks of the new farm, new villager dialogue, the aesthetic upgrades to enrich the beauty of the valley itself, multiple pets and more diverse pets, and many other things too. It just is what it is he couldn’t possibly please his millions of gamers.fully in every way.

after all that the best I have to offer you for your newfound problem is lucky days, high luck foods (boosted with Qi seasoning if you have, and a speed drink to help you go faster through the mines and skull caverns. I have best luck with prismatic shards in SC and the volcano. I wish you the best of luck. 🤞

Last edited by a moderator:

Heramir

Greenhorn
Everything is relative with a huge portion of randomness. 2 saves can be different. I tested over the last couple of days, and in 1 save I got 4 coffee beans one day while grinding for iron while the other save I didnt get any coffee beans at all. Same goes with...well, loot pretty much. I know it sucks when hunting for a specific loot, but the randomness is real

Deffy

Cowpoke
As someone who is fairly good at deep diving into the skull cave, I'm pretty much indifferent to this change. It's very noticeable of course, but shards really only have 2 uses. Enchanting tools and weapons, and get the galaxie sword. About 15-20 should be enough to enchant everything they way you like em.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
The chance from iridium nodes was absurdly high and still is, 25 nodes is not much at all. Compared to killing 2000 monsters??

ArtifactSpot

The chance from iridium nodes was absurdly high and still is, 25 nodes is not much at all. Compared to killing 2000 monsters??
Not everyone does skull cavern or can get as far down as you, where the best stuff is.😉 I think HaleyRocks was referring to more basic mining, and earlier game finds.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Not everyone does skull cavern or can get as far down as you, where the best stuff is.😉 I think HaleyRocks was referring to more basic mining, and earlier game finds.
Even if you’re incredibly bad at mining it won’t take more than a couple trips to break 25 nodes on average. You can literally just enter and exit the first floor a couple hundred times and get them. It’s not really a matter of skill at that point. And the players exposure to iridium nodes early on is basically only in skull cavern so I assume that’s what they were talking about because where else would you find them besides maybe a single one in the quarry.

Benhimself

Rancher
Also, the chance for iridium nodes dropping shards hasn't really dropped that much? According to the patch notes, it's gone from 4% to 3.5%. That's like saying "For every 200 nodes you mine, you will expect an average of seven instead of eight". Yeah, it'll take a long time to fully enchant every tool with the perfect enchantment, deck out every junimo hut in full rainbow splendor, get every piece of prismatic clothing, and fill out the 'loved gifts' section of your favorite NPCs, but the difference in "How long does it take me to get my first one and thus get a galaxy sword" is probably going to be more up to chance than it will be up to this change.

And it's offset by meteor drops, where 25% is lower than 100% but it's a lot higher than 0% that it was in 1.5, and mystery boxes have a chance to drop them as well now. So that's multiple new sources of shards to offset a fairly minor drop in one of the existing ways to get them.

At the beginning of year 2, I had acquired already 4 shards. One from the quarry cave, two from the mines, one from the secret wood. All monster drops from other places than skull cavern. Unless 4 is few?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Maybe I'm playing the game differently but I have a surplus of Prizzy Shards for the first time ever with about a dozen, and I've used a few for things. I think I've been bombing Skull Cavern and the Volcano a bit more than previous playthroughs as I'm trying to get used to this playstyle. It is easier to make your way through both with Bombs but managing the actions needed to Bomb and eat Cheez and occasionally swing the Sword took a bit of time.

It takes a bitta time to retrain the monkey.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Maybe I'm playing the game differently but I have a surplus of Prizzy Shards for the first time ever with about a dozen, and I've used a few for things. I think I've been bombing Skull Cavern and the Volcano a bit more than previous playthroughs as I'm trying to get used to this playstyle. It is easier to make your way through both with Bombs but managing the actions needed to Bomb and eat Cheez and occasionally swing the Sword took a bit of time.

It takes a bitta time to retrain the monkey.
Lew on the new 1.6 minmax mindset, shards shards shards

PrimalPete

Farmhand
This... Is so cruel, so cold! Why, just why? Prismatic Shards are extremely hard, to the point of annoying, to come by, especially if you need to fully micromanage enchants, cover museum donation and get your late game weapon(s)!

Why was the chance to get one out of iridium nodes, dropped to an even lower number than before (which was already pretty low)?

Please tell why!
Your frustration is understandable. If there's anything that illicits groans in gaming, it's grinding for goodies.(I'm looking at you dungeon defenders 2! Kudos if you know what I'm griping about) anyway, if it's any consolation, maybe it'll help to imagine that Eric Barone, aka: concerned ape woke up one morning and had the worst day ever. Dude wakes up having slept weirdly and his neck feeling awfully sore. Then upon shuffling out of bed, has his barefoot tootsy make direct contact with an out-of-place chair leg. Cursing his way out the bedroom door, he stumbles down the stairs, falling buttocks first and sliding down cheek by cheek down the steps while holding onto the rail. Finally after all that chicanery, he gets up only to hit his head on an errant doorknob, unaware of a nearby door ajar. Fed up, he yells "That's it, I'm nerfing the hell out of prismatic shard drops!"
Oh and he was probably out of coffee that day too

Your frustration is understandable. If there's anything that illicits groans in gaming, it's grinding for goodies.(I'm looking at you dungeon defenders 2! Kudos if you know what I'm griping about) anyway, if it's any consolation, maybe it'll help to imagine that Eric Barone, aka: concerned ape woke up one morning and had the worst day ever. Dude wakes up having slept weirdly and his neck feeling awfully sore. Then upon shuffling out of bed, has his barefoot tootsy make direct contact with an out-of-place chair leg. Cursing his way out the bedroom door, he stumbles down the stairs, falling buttocks first and sliding down cheek by cheek down the steps while holding onto the rail. Finally after all that chicanery, he gets up only to hit his head on an errant doorknob, unaware of a nearby door ajar. Fed up, he yells "That's it, I'm nerfing the hell out of prismatic shard drops!"
🤣 🤣 🤣
There was a hit song in Germany in the 80s "Guten Morgen, liebe Sorgen, seid ihr auch schon alle da?" - "Good morning, dear worries, are you all up and about?" which had exactly your CA narrative. 😅

ArtifactSpot

🤣🤣🤣 And that from the guy who promised he would not release 1.6 until he drank his morning coffee in peace (away from the online mobs assaulting him online like a bunch of parents knocking each other out over the last Tickle Me Elmo…if you’re old enough you’ll get the reference.)

SoftViceMaster

Farmhand

Please tell why!

I guess the creator thought it was a bit 'too easy' to get what are supposed to be super rare items?

I honestly hope we get a lot to compensate for the lowered drop rate of these items, not to mention that once profitable items (like tea saplings) sell for far less now which can ruin a lot of the early gameplay for some.