Building Idea that could improve Riverland Farm Utility

conclaude

Greenhorn
On several discussions online, I've seen people pick the Riverland Farm for its aesthetics and regret their decision because of the lack of land. I think the Riverland Farm is supposed to be an option to play the game with more difficulty, and I completely respect that. It's harder to make a living with crops because there's less space for planting, less freedom in organizing them within regular grids of Iridium Sprinklers, not to mention you have to carefully allocate space for buildings and decor. All of that adds to the challenge of the game because you have to design your farm strategically. However, the general lack of benefits you get from the Riverland Farm might not be reasonable.

The Riverland Farm is supposed to encourage a living based on fishing. And sure, there's plenty of space where you can fish, and leave Crab Pots. But this mainly utilizes the river's perimeter and much of the area is unused...

In line with all of that, here's a building idea that could improve its utility around mid- to late-game: Fish Pens. (see images in Spoiler)

Fish Pens

Here are some small Tilapia pens:

Fish Pens.png

[Source: Tilapia Farming in Ponds Part 2 : Tilapia in Pond Cultural Practices]

Here's a schematic for a particularly large fish pen:

AC181E11.gif

[Source: Pen Culture (Enclosure Culture) as an Aquaculture System]

They can function just like the current Fish Ponds for easier programming, such that they'd be difficult to improve in the early game; you'd have to collect a variety of items just to be able to maximize their production. But the main catch is that these structures need to be placed on water tiles. By the riverbank, so the player can easily interact with them. This provides a unique advantage of the Riverland Farm, but other farms would gain some popularity as well depending on the abundance of water. Of course, there are plenty of aspects that the developer could experiment with: size, building materials, and function. Perhaps these structures could take up more space, yet be harder to build. Or perhaps they could be more difficult to maintain.

This way, the original challenge still remains: there's limited land for crops and buildings. But the overall utility of the water increases. I hope you guys like this suggestion. I only thought about it because I see a lot of these things here in the Philippines where I live, and I thought it would be a cool addition. Cheers! :laugh:

Last edited: