PC [BUG] XBOX and PS4 Controller Not Working, Works in Steam and Other Games

Josh

Newcomer
Well, actually Steam sees it because I can move around the Steam Controller Configurator with it... but nothing once in Stardew.

Snowmoe25

Newcomer
Load a game with your mouse + keyboard, go to settings and check if the gamepad mode is set to force off.
This one fixed it for me! Thank you!! The first time I read this I thought it meant go to "Steam settings", but it literally means go to In-Game options menu (like where the inventory menu & map are) & at the top under "General" you need to switch a setting to "Force on/Auto-detect" for the controller (gamepad).

Thank you!!

chaoticfayth

Greenhorn
i created an account just to comment here. i went through every post about this issue i could find, and i am at my wit's end. i can't play stardew without a controller. i have tried, and i can't. maybe because i learned the game on consoles and so that's how my brain works with it, i don't know.

i have spent 300 hours successfully playing stardew with a controller on steam (i switched from console to steam so i could play stardew valley expanded). it worked great. today it stopped. i followed every guide i could find in here, even tried the lib file thing this thread recommends. hit allow in my system preferences, everything. now the game crashes on startup and won't open at all, controller or not.

i don't know what to do. i've been sitting here crying because this game is one of the few things in life that brings me happiness. i just want it to work again.

booksandlemons

Greenhorn
I registered just to post in this thread that I have found a fix for the controller/audio issues for M1 macs on Monterey.

I am running a Mac M1 with Monterey and no version of libSDL posted in this thread or on reddit was able to work, the closest was the version above (..16) making controller work but disabling audio.

I am happy to announce that after a day of searching online resources, I have found a version of libSDL2 which works for both controller and audio, on mac m1 monterey with my xbox wireless controller. I do not know which version of libSDL this is, so anyone more tricky than me feel free to validate which version this is - but immediately upon using this version my game is now functioning as expected.

Source: https://github.com/ClassicUO/ClassicUO/blob/master/external/osx/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib
Thanks for all the advice - I have downloaded this and put it in the location, but regardless of if I enable or disable steam input in the controller settings for the game, it doesn't seem to work :( Any advice by any chance? I have tried launching both from big picture and not as well. I'm using a 2020 m1 MacBook air, and a ps4 controller

nickyopx

Newcomer
I registered just to post in this thread that I have found a fix for the controller/audio issues for M1 macs on Monterey.

I am running a Mac M1 with Monterey and no version of libSDL posted in this thread or on reddit was able to work, the closest was the version above (..16) making controller work but disabling audio.

I am happy to announce that after a day of searching online resources, I have found a version of libSDL2 which works for both controller and audio, on mac m1 monterey with my xbox wireless controller. I do not know which version of libSDL this is, so anyone more tricky than me feel free to validate which version this is - but immediately upon using this version my game is now functioning as expected.

Source: https://github.com/ClassicUO/ClassicUO/blob/master/external/osx/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib
Thank You so much!! it really work! bless you.

kalverra

Newcomer
I'm having a similar issue @booksandlemons . Weirdly enough, a Switch Pro controller worked totally fine, but now Stardew refuses to recognize an Xbox One controller (that works in other games and Steam).

hannahsays

Newcomer
Hello,

I have individually attempted to used both a PS4 and an XBOX 360 controller (not at the same time) with and without cables and they do not work in Stardew Valley. The XBOX controller was used on another computer and was able to play Stardew Valley from the other computer.

Steam recognizes the controllers and I can use them in other Steam games. I have checked and ensured the controllers are being seen as Controller 1. I have used DS4Windows emulator and it does not fix the issue. I have checked to ensure my bluetooth is only connected to a single controller so there is no influence from other devices. I have completely deleted all Stardew Valley files from my laptop (copying my save files to another location) and completely downloaded fresh from Steam after the most recent update. The controllers still do not work.

I am at a loss as to how to fix this and there are several posts on Steam and on this forum here of others reporting the same issue without any feedback on how to fix it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to mention I am running Windows 10 fully updated on an ASUS G751JM ROG laptop.
I've founnnddd a fix that works! No more crying over lost Xbox controller support!

I bought a universal controller from amazon, as it seems Stardew Valley on Mac no longer supports xbox controllers. Right?-- other games on Steam Mac work perfectly fine with xbox controllers. So! Here's the fix, super easy:

Purchased this exact controller, then changed the following Steam settings:
Under Stardew Valley game in Steam go to: Properties --> Controller --> Controller General Settings. Untick "Xbox Configuration Support" and Tick instead "Playstation Configuration Support." Since PS3 controllers seem to work seamlessly without any extra software download, I want my game to recognize my universal controller as a Playstation controller.

Then, go back to the Stardew Valley game in Steam go to: Properties --> Controller --> "Use default settings" under "Override for Stardew Valley." This ensures the controller does not kick back to Xbox configuration.

If you choose to buy the controller and use this solution!!! The controller X Y B A controls are originally set to Switch and inverted. To fix this, the universal controller manual gives super easy instructions to change this. Hold the Settings button on the universal controller, then click the right stick once. The controller should vibrate to signify the change, and now your X Y B A controls should work as an Xbox! Yaaay!!

I'm over here pleasantly playing Stardew with my controller now. Omg, I'm so happy. Spread the love, guys. <3

quelana

Newcomer
Started having this problem, playing on Steam with SMAPI and a ps5 controller wired, and I've had some success by both selecting "enable steam input" in properties AND setting gamepad mode to "force on" in Stardew's own settings. Some trouble with audio still but wanted to share in case that helps anyone else! Best of luck to everyone!!

fireflights

Greenhorn
So...I am coming here for help because I have exhausted all my other options. My Stardew works fine, problem is my USB wireless controller suddenly stopped working and I have tried everything. I went to steam, changed it to to the option I was told to when reading this thread. I tried uninstall/reinstall of the driver's for my controller. I tried to reboot the computer. I went into the game itself and made sure that I set it for game controller on there. I am at an absolute loss as to what happened and what I can do to fix it. Please help.

kdk11d

Newcomer
After almost two hours of fighting with xcode and homebrew I can confirm that it is working (just created account to provide faster solution and little more input on issue).

For those who don't want to install development tools on your macbook, this is the file that you need to unpack to

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS/

I also forced disable steam input for stardew.

I removed all dev tools and it is working fine.

I didn't found libSDL2.dylib in this folder only libSDL2.dylib.original (both mentioned in terminal commands) and manually copy worked for me

I'm running Stardew Valley v1.5.4 on macOS Big Sur v11.6 on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017)
Am I supposed download this file and delete the one in there, just add it like a mod? How does this work?

looongboyyy

Newcomer

I did this and now my stardew wont even open:(

I'm copying and pasting an answer Concerned Ape posted elsewhere, plus adding a little more (because I had this problem as well). A computer/ windows update broke my controller use (it works everywhere else but Stardew).

From Concerned Ape:
"Try going into your Steam controller settings for Stardew Valley and selecting "Enable Steam Input". If that doesn't work, try resetting to the default gamepad controller configuration by pressing shift + tab while in game to open the Steam overlay, selecting the controller configuration from the top right, choosing "browse configs", and finally selecting the recommended/default config."

Added by me:
So go into Steam and RIGHT click on the game in the left-hand bar and click "properties". That will pull up the Stardew properties- now click "Controller" on the left side of the new window that popped up. In the "Override for stardew valley" dropdown list, select "enable steam input" then restart the game. My controller worked again after that.

Hopefully, this will be helpful for the people who find the thread on Google and have the same problem.
I tried this, and it worked for a few seconds before the controller stopped working. I had to reconnect it. The strangest thing is it worked after the update for a whole game, but now I have this reoccurring issue, which has happened every update since, and I'm using an official Xbox controller, so it can't be that.