Windows [Bug] Why can’t I play in full screen mode in 4k?

PapaVader

Farmhand
Every time I try to play in full screen mode (which requires me to first go to windowed mode from borderless windowed mode, then full screen) and in 4k, I can only see 1/4 of the screen. I have 4k selected as my resolution, and it works fine in every other app in windows, but anything past 1920x1080 in Stardew will cut off a part of my screen. Borderless window mode works fine in 4k, but I would like to play in full screen?!

Is there a trick to doing it?

Lew Zealand

Helper
A number of people are experiencing a few different kinds of screen resolution bugs right now and yours sounds similar to them. I have one 4K screen, I'll try it out on that one. My issues were on a HiDPI (Retina) MacBook Pro where it gave me crazy screen resolution options and was way zoomed out to where I could see my whole Farm. I went into the video display settings in SDV and clicked a bunch of stuff in there to Windowed Borderless and Windowed and back, and then through different resolutions until it settled down to my screen's native look and size. Maybe try that!

In here:

Lew Zealand

Helper
OK I just installed SDV on our 4K computer and I typed some junk which didn't address your issue.

I then re-read what you described (reading comprehension FTW) and tested the toggle from Windowed Borderless to Windowed to Fullscreen (I needed to do it exactly as you described) and after the Windowed to Fullscreen change, it blacked out the TV (which only happens when changing resolutions) and then the image popped up again. But Stardew Valley said it was running at 4096x2160 instead of 3840x2160. My TV is 3840 like all TVs and non-professional monitors (those are the 4096 ones), but it'll apparently display that signal.

So I changed it to 3840x2160, noting what was displayed on the edges of the screen and yes, the sides did shrink in a bit. I think SDV is changing the resolution on your 4K monitor (like it did for me) to something your monitor tries to display, but doesn't quite output properly? Maybe switch to 2560x1440 and then to 3840x2160 and see if that helps?

Also, does your Windowed Borderless look good? Because I can't tell the difference between that and just Fullscreen and that seemed to display properly right from the start. It also seems to perform about the same on a 6 year old Intel NUC with integrated graphics.

PapaVader

Farmhand
OK I just installed SDV on our 4K computer and I typed some junk which didn't address your issue.

I then re-read what you described (reading comprehension FTW) and tested the toggle from Windowed Borderless to Windowed to Fullscreen (I needed to do it exactly as you described) and after the Windowed to Fullscreen change, it blacked out the TV (which only happens when changing resolutions) and then the image popped up again. But Stardew Valley said it was running at 4096x2160 instead of 3840x2160. My TV is 3840 like all TVs and non-professional monitors (those are the 4096 ones), but it'll apparently display that signal.

So I changed it to 3840x2160, noting what was displayed on the edges of the screen and yes, the sides did shrink in a bit. I think SDV is changing the resolution on your 4K monitor (like it did for me) to something your monitor tries to display, but doesn't quite output properly? Maybe switch to 2560x1440 and then to 3840x2160 and see if that helps?

Also, does your Windowed Borderless look good? Because I can't tell the difference between that and just Fullscreen and that seemed to display properly right from the start. It also seems to perform about the same on a 6 year old Intel NUC with integrated graphics.
hey sorry, I never replied to you because I got frustrated, I forgot to mention I’m playing on a tv. I still have this problem. I cannot play in 4k on full screen. It is very annoying but I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work.