PC [BUG] Video stutter on macOS after Monterey update

ascii7

Sodbuster
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 570 4 GB
macOS Monterey 12.0.1
Stardew Valley 1.5.4.1396293314 from GOG (Steam version also)
No mods

After updating from macOS Big Sur 11.6 to macOS Monterey 12.0.1, the game has developed an intermittent stutter. (This may or may not be related to the stutter people have posted about on Windows.) The video will be fine for a short time, then begin stuttering for several seconds and then recover. The problem then repeats. The stutter is pretty rapid and of moderate magnitude. It seems that it's only visible when your character is moving. It's particularly visible if the background is scrolling as you move. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it sure is annoying.

This was definitely not a problem on macOS Big Sur 11.6. The stutter appeared immediately after the OS update, while no other system or game version changes were made. I've tried various setting changes in the game, like the various window modes, toggling VSYNC, and nothing has helped.

I suspect it is an OS or video driver bug. There might be a small chance of a latent bug in the game itself, but that sounds like a long shot. Maybe macOS 12.0.2 or 12.1 will fix this.

Any other ideas or workarounds are certainly welcome.

I can relate to that.
I am always afraid to update the latest Big Sur.
Most of my software related to my work and project has been affected by it. –it took me a lot of time to repair.....

I hope you will find the solution to the problem. I am also curious about how to deal with that too.
Some people are interested to downgrade the Big Sur as well.

Last edited:

Bump3r

Greenhorn
I have this exact problem! I haven't played since 1.5 released and I haven't been able to figure out whether my problem was from 1.5 or the new Mac update, but this post seems to make me think that its the latter.

Sunaru

Greenhorn
I have the same exact issue, I'm on a base model 2014 mid year MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.6.1. Horrible stutter when my character and the background are moving, although sometimes it does it when I'm standing still, especially noticeable when leaves are blowing around. The strange thing is when I play co-op on my girlfriends world the game doesn't stutter at all, but as soon as I go back into my single player world it starts right back up.

Sharron

Greenhorn
well dang! I didn't know we could play on Mac! I play on the Switch, and I thought it was only available on iPad and iPhone... it's not in the app store on my macBook. How do you get it? and if so, does it have 1.5?
( I'm on MacBook Air Monterey )

I searched and see it's available on steam. I'm looking at 'joining' steam,
and trying playing it on keyboard. It's only $8.99, and if it doesn't work, that's ok.. The trick is does steam cost monthly for themselves or to play a game. And does my macBook Air have all the requirements - it's hard to tell from the 'about this Mac'. Do any of you use steam? or tell me what thread to look at?

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
For anyone having this issue, could you update to the new 1.5.5 version of the game and see if this is still happens?

it's not in the app store on my macBook. How do you get it? and if so, does it have 1.5?
The game is available on Mac via Steam (currently 40% off) or via GOG. And yes, the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of Stardew are the first to get any updates and actually just received the 1.5.5 update.

You'll find in general that many, many games and apps are not available via the Mac App Store because on the Mac, the standard for decades was that software was available from the web, and the idea of "app stores" only showed up much later. Games consolidated around Steam as their "app store" before the Mac App Store ever existed and I'd definitely recommend looking there if you're interested in finding games (Steam also regularly has big store-wide sales, like the one happening right now).

Sharron

Greenhorn
For anyone having this issue, could you update to the new 1.5.5 version of the game and see if this is still happens?

The game is available on Mac via Steam (currently 40% off) or via GOG. And yes, the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of Stardew are the first to get any updates and actually just received the 1.5.5 update.

You'll find in general that many, many games and apps are not available via the Mac App Store because on the Mac, the standard for decades was that software was available from the web, and the idea of "app stores" only showed up much later. Games consolidated around Steam as their "app store" before the Mac App Store ever existed and I'd definitely recommend looking there if you're interested in finding games (Steam also regularly has big store-wide sales, like the one happening right now).
I just read this - after editing my post. Thanks for your info!

Odin

Staff member
I just read this - after editing my post. Thanks for your info!
No problem!
and trying playing it on keyboard. It's only $8.99, and if it doesn't work, that's ok.. The trick is does steam cost monthly for themselves or to play a game.
Steam doesn't have any monthly fees, they make money by taking a cut of the purchases you make. And Stardew Valley is just a one-time purchase. The only thing you'll need to pay monthly is your internet service :P
And does my macBook Air have all the requirements - it's hard to tell from the 'about this Mac'. Do any of you use steam? or tell me what thread to look at?
Most likely yes, Stardew requires very low specs to run. I played Stardew on a 2011 MacBook Pro for several years with no issue.

If you do want to check for this game or any others though, scroll down on the Steam page for the game until you see "System Requirements", then click the macOS tab. Then you want to go to the  logo at the top left of your screen and select "About this Mac". You compare the specs there to the ones listed on the game's page.

Sharron

Greenhorn
No problem!

Steam doesn't have any monthly fees, they make money by taking a cut of the purchases you make. And Stardew Valley is just a one-time purchase. The only thing you'll need to pay monthly is your internet service :P

Most likely yes, Stardew requires very low specs to run. I played Stardew on a 2011 MacBook Pro for several years with no issue.

If you do want to check for this game or any others though, scroll down on the Steam page for the game until you see "System Requirements", then click the macOS tab. Then you want to go to the  logo at the top left of your screen and select "About this Mac". You compare the specs there to the ones listed on the game's page.
Thanks for your very helpful replies! I'll try it!

Lew Zealand

Helper
well dang! I didn't know we could play on Mac! I play on the Switch, and I thought it was only available on iPad and iPhone... it's not in the app store on my macBook. How do you get it? and if so, does it have 1.5?
( I'm on MacBook Air Monterey )

I searched and see it's available on steam. I'm looking at 'joining' steam,
and trying playing it on keyboard. It's only $8.99, and if it doesn't work, that's ok.. The trick is does steam cost monthly for themselves or to play a game. And does my macBook Air have all the requirements - it's hard to tell from the 'about this Mac'. Do any of you use steam? or tell me what thread to look at?
FYI I run Stardew Valley on a 2009 MacBook Pro which is older than any MBAir you could possibly be using and it works well on that.

Another note: If you buy SDV from GOG.com you can also have the option of an old-school installer for the game. This means you don't need to have Steam (or even GOG's Galaxy) client running before then running Stardew Valley. Just run the game itself. I like the simplicity of that and in theory it should take less memory/resources to run without those things in the background, though SDV probably isn't too memory-intensive.

ascii7

Sodbuster

The stuttering video situation on my Mac has also improved a fair amount with 1.5.5. The episodes of stutter occur much less frequently, and when they do occur, they seem somewhat less intense. It's definitely more enjoyable to play now. That said, there is still some room for improvement.

Odin

Staff member
The stuttering video situation on my Mac has also improved a fair amount with 1.5.5. The episodes of stutter occur much less frequently, and when they do occur, they seem somewhat less intense. It's definitely more enjoyable to play now. That said, there is still some room for improvement.
Glad to hear it's improved, but that's a bummer it's still happening. Thanks for taking the time to check that!