[BUG] tools disappearing

holyjily

Greenhorn
I started a new save and my pickaxe/axe keeps disappearing. It usually happens when im talking with a npc. I can get it the next day from the lost and found but when i get it there its degraded itself from a copper tool till its original form. Ive tried searching for something like this but i cant find anything except people misplacing them but im certain that i havent done that.

on pc with no mods

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, sounds like a pain. If I may ask, what platform are you playing on and are you using any mods? (If it helps, you can usually edit your post to add a tag for your platform). There was a similar post about this the other day, apparently they usually reappear upon going to sleep for the night... but by the sounds of it, you've probably already gotten them back this way and know that, and maybe it keeps happening? Major bummer though.

Another player mentioned accidentally throwing things away because of controller use, that if on the inventory screen something is accidentally dragged over the trash can, it trashes it, is there any chance that could be happening for you? Having tools disappear frequently would be a drag.

I'm wondering if this thread might be better in the Help & Bug Reports forum, without more information regarding mods and platform, it is kinda sounding like a bug. I hope someone knows how to resolve this for you, sorry I can't be of more help, maybe once platform and mod status is known, someone might be better able to assist (Edit: thanks for the edit to add that). 🤞🍀

Last edited:

holyjily

Greenhorn
Sorry to hear that, sounds like a pain. If I may ask, what platform are you playing on and are you using any mods? (If it helps, you can usually edit your post to add a tag for your platform). There was a similar post about this the other day, apparently they usually reappear upon going to sleep for the night... but by the sounds of it, you've probably already gotten them back this way and know that, and maybe it keeps happening? Major bummer though.

Another player mentioned accidentally throwing things away because of controller use, that if on the inventory screen something is accidentally dragged over the trash can, it trashes it, is there any chance that could be happening for you? Having tools disappear frequently would be a drag.

I'm wondering if this thread might be better in the Help & Bug Reports forum, without more information regarding mods and platform, it is kinda sounding like a bug. I hope someone knows how to resolve this for you, sorry I can't be of more help, maybe once platform and mod status is known, someone might be better able to assist. 🤞🍀
Oh i thought i was on the bug reports forum part sorry! Im on pc and with no mods so there shouldnt be any problems because of that.

No worries, a moderator can easily move the thread there, so it is all good. 🙂 I hope someone can provide an answer for you soon. That is indeed strange to happen without mods.

Elenna101

Farmer
FWIW you shouldn't be able to trash tools. No idea what's happening with OP's problem though, sorry!

FWIW you shouldn't be able to trash tools. No idea what's happening with OP's problem though, sorry!
Ah, if we can't that is good to know and would make sense, I've guess I've just never tried lol. Since I've been able to trash other items like rings or fishing tackle, I assumed we could with other stuff, I'm glad that's not the case! 😆

Edit: Yep tried just now, you're right and phew! Lol, it does perhaps sound like a bug if no mods or save file editing potentially gone wrong.

So I've had the misfortune and trashed my tools before. I was trying to exit out of a conversation really quick and while doing so, I was going into my inventory and my tool went into the trash. Granted it was only copper, but it was early on in my game.

With that said, I don't think that's something that will happen now with all the updates, but it's still possible that @holyjily is still doing something similar and dropping the pickaxe on the ground. I am theorizing simply because it's happening while talking to an NPC and the tool can later be recovered.

@holyjily , I know you said you aren't using any mods, but are you perhaps still using SMAPI? If so, can you provide a log of that? If not don't worry as we may still be able to help you find a solution. In the meantime, I'd recommend trying to create this issue again, but look around on the ground and see if the pickaxe was dropped from your inventory.

Quirinea

Farmer
I had similar experience. @£$#¤%! I just had upgraded my pickaxe to bronze and got it back unupgraded. I had lost my scythe similarly some earlier (OK was just wondering as I got it back as it was) No incident where I could have dropped it. I suspected "Shipping bin" - mod but searching found this thread which implicates it may even be a vanilla bug. That makes the game impossible! You upgrade the tool -- it reverts, resources and time lost, try again, same happens, never get to Secret woods or can break the meteorite...

I do have a zillion mods. Tried to search the SMAPI log but there was nothing pointing to either Pickaxe or Lost and Found. I've been playing this game for some years and this type of error has never happened.

Edit: I thought I found the solution: SavegameInfo had no entry for the Pickaxe, but the backup ("old") did. Copied the sequence. Nope. The Pickaxe was lost, it was in that Lost and found -- and unupgraded. Even though it definitely had "Copper" in that file. Is there a cheat or something to fix that? The problem may be in the savefile, but that is so huge that emacs chokes.

Edit2: I saved my game by installing CJBItemspawner (which is a cheat). I hope keeping it will work as anti-Murphy (and also that I can resist using it for something else -- hmmm although using it to get a reserve tool while Clint upgrades my primary is a great temptation).

Last edited: