PC [BUG] Potential bug with gourmand frog.

numsku1l

Cowpoke
I encountered what may be a bug with the Gourmand Frog quest on Ginger Island, but it's possible I'm just not understanding the logic of the puzzle. I have searched Google as well as this forum specifically and I haven't found this particular issue being reported.

I'm playing on PC (Steam) version 1.5.4, in English. This issue persists in single-player and co-op mode.

I've put the specifics in spoiler tags because they reveal the quest solution.

Here is the solution to the quest as I understand it: the frog gives you hints as to which crops he wants to see you grow on the island farm (Melons, Wheat, and Garlic in that order). Once you've grown a crop and while the crop is still unharvested you talk to the frog, which triggers a cutscene in which he inspects the crop and gives you 5 Golden Walnuts, and then you can get a hint for the next crop.

My problem is that the quest has stopped progressing, and I can't get the Golden Walnuts for the Wheat.

Here's what I did:

I grew Melons on the island farm, then talked to the frog before harvesting them. The cutscene played where he inspects the Melons and gave me my 5 Golden Walnuts, and I got the hint for Wheat.

Then I harvested the Melons, since I figured I didn't need them anymore, and planted the Wheat.

When the Wheat had grown I talked to the frog again, who just said "Kriibbitt... Good to see you again, bombo-friend. I hope a you growin' da big bombo fruit, bub!", and the Wheat cutscene didn't play.

The "big bombo fruit" refers to Melons so I guessed that he needs to have Melons AND Wheat to be satisfied, so I re-planted some Melons (on different plots than the original ones) and left the grown Wheat alone. When the Melons had grown again, I talked to the frog and he just said the same as above, and the cutscene didn't play.

At one point I had Melons and Wheat and Garlic growing on the island farm, but he only ever says "I hope a you growin' da big bombo fruit, bub!" and I can't get more Golden Walnuts. The same happens when I have Melons but no Wheat or Garlic (but I do have Pineapple).

As far as I understand, the quest should be progressing if I have Melons and Wheat (or at least I should get a hint for Wheat if I have grown Melons), instead of being told I'm not growing Melons when I am. This is why I suspect that it is a bug.

I've attached images of the current state of the farm and the response that I'm getting from the Gourmand Frog: IslandFarm.pngBomboFruit.png

I have not tried to reproduce the bug, since I think I would have to start a new game and work my way back up to having access to the island farm. Again I'm sorry if I'm just misunderstanding the puzzle.

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
After the cutscene plays, you should be able to harvest the melons. Then he should ask for wheat. Once he is done with a crop, he should move on to the next and it shouldn't matter whether you're still growing the first.

Are you playing vanilla or modded? There is definitely something bugged here.

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
is it possible that someone you were playing co-op with triggered the cutscene while you weren't around? He's supposed to say that line about the big bombo fruit after all 3 crops have been grown & shown

numsku1l

Cowpoke
That is possible but I suspect that's not the case, I've only had one other person play co-op with me on this farm and they told me they didn't talk to the frog at all. Also, if that were the case then I still should have gotten a total of 10 more Golden Walnuts for the Wheat and Garlic since they're shared across players, but I didn't.

numsku1l

Cowpoke
I have an update: I am now confident that there is NOT a bug preventing me from finishing the quest, and that I must have gotten the cutscenes/nuts without noticing somehow.

I wanted to confirm that I hadn't gotten the rewards by collecting the rest of the Golden Walnuts, but I eventually had less than 10 remaining and I now have 127/130, meaning that I *must* have received the rewards from the Gourmand Frog already. I'm not sure where to find the quest flags in a save file so I haven't explicitly looked, but I suspect they will also be flagged as "complete".

I have no explanation for why I remember the Melons cutscene and not the other two, because as I said when I played co-op no one else had talked to the frog at all. It's possible I was just distracted when they happened.

I apologize for any confusion/time wasted looking into this issue.

Last edited: