PC [BUG] [Multiplayer] Freezing causing laptop to crash, Queen of Sauce repeat bug, tools vanishing?

khajiitsu

Farmhand
Hi, myself and my girlfriend are both playing on PC multplayer but we are experiencing a series of bugs, one of which makes the game moreorless unplayable. Apologies for the long post, sorta hoping too much info is better than too little here because I'm quite perplexed at whats going on. If we can fix the big heavy game crashes, I'd be more than satisfied putting up with the rest of them.

My girlfriend experiences all of these bugs, while just the Cranberry Candy bug seems to be happening to me as well.

Bugs (from most excruitiating to least):
'Heavy' Game Crash Killing PC - It seems that every 1-2 in game days, at some point we will now experience that my girlfriends PC almost completely locks up. This has only started occuring since Y3D1. The screen will suddenlly freeze, everything becomes unresponsive, and she gets maybe 1 frame every 20-30 seconds? Trying to alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del results in 2 different behaviours, not sure why it works differently sometimes:
  1. Alt+tab will allow her to change window/ctrl+alt+del allows her to open task manager. Once at this point, we can monitor the resources and manually kill the game. This is the 'preferable' behaviour.
  2. Alt+tab will show other windows but not change/ctrl+alt+del opens the windows ctrl+alt+del screen with options for sign out, task manager etc, but clicking on the 'Task Manager' button instead just causes a white square (focus?) to scroll over the icons in the bottom right corner of the windows ctrl+alt+del screen. It does this for every click on the Task Manager button, but doesn't ever open Task Manager.
If you're wondering why we think killing the game is the most plausible solution, it's because this problem does not seem to resolve itself, no matter how long we wait - The first time this happened was at the end of Y3D1, just as we were going to sleep. We figured she was in the farmhouse anyway, so not making it to the bed wasn't a big issue (even though she was 3 steps away with 2 hours to make it there). But watching the animation for failing to get to bed by 2am took a couple of minutes just to get through the few frames. We then had to watch as our goods sold overnight, with the gold 'counter' going up by exactly 2 each time the frame changed - it took several minutes for it to finish counting the cost of the 1 apricot we sold :/. On starting the next day, the problem wasn't resolved, so we figued if she left the game and rejoined that might work. However, even after she left the game, this problem persisted - the Stardew home screen took several minutes to load each of the buttons for New, Load, Co-op etc, rendering 1 frame every 20-30 seconds. This led me to believe her laptop may be the problem, as she was no longer in a multiplayer session so surely the network connection wasn't causing the issue anymore, but cannot confirm this.

To try and find out what was going on, I tried to open task manager and got behaviour 1 listed above. Not sure what I was expecting to find, but everything in the performance tab seemed normal to me (not an expert FYI). I decided to open the Resource Monitor at the bottom of task manager and thats when things got really interesting. On the CPU tab, under Processes, the Stardew exe kept popping up to the top of the list, then turning red with the status 'Not Responding'. Then it would disappear off the list, then reappear several seconds later and do the same thing. I don't know what this means, but it obviously isn't good.

On the instances where I got behaviour 2, there really is no solution. No amount of waiting made it possible for her to escape the game, even when alt+tabbing to another window. In an attempt to try and get her to at least drop out the session instead of dying in skull cavern, we closed her laptop screen. When she didn't disconnect, we reopened the laptop and the screen was just showing black. I'm pretty sure the screen was 'on' as I could tell the backlight behind was on and the black was more of a dark grey, but nothing got the laptop back on properly. In the end, we just held in the power button to kill the laptop. The entire time we were doing this, my game thought she was still conencted to the session. We attempted to play again half an hour later, tried some fo the fixes below, but the same thing happened again on the first day back. The game just suddenly becomes completely unplayable, and I fear she's ready to give up on it at this point :(

I've looked around on these forums, done a few searches online and I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. I've tried the usual fixes - Changing priority and affinity for Stardew, forcing her dedicated GPU to run stardew instead of integrated graphics, disabling Stardew from using CPU0, turning down any visual quality settings (turning vsync off makes normal gameplay impossible as there are some pretty horrendous tears). Reinstalled the Microsoft Framework 4.0 thing (XNA?) that a few people have mentioned. Reinstalled and reverified local game file integrity via Steam. I'd be inclined to say its her laptop crapping out, it just seems odd that it started doing all of this from Y3D1, and now happens almost daily ingame, when the laptop has no noticable issues the rest of the time she's using it. It seems only Stardew is affected. Her laptop has had no windows updates (or any other software updates that I can tell), all drivers were up to date when I checked that.

Game lag spikes - Occasionally her laptop just starts lagging quite hard. Moving the laptop fixes this temporarily, but it will often come back again shortly after. This either doesn't happen at all during a session, or happens many times. My thoughts on this one are that it's probably our network being slow, but running speed tests and checking the performance in task manager when it happens reveals nothing to me.

Tools vanishing when rejoining - Sometimes the above results in her disconnecting. Sometimes when she rejoins, all her tools are still 'in her inventory', but the icons for them are gone. Hovering a mouse over the 'empty' spaces in her inventory would show the names of the tools, but she couldn't use them. The fix for this was for us both to quit out of the game, and restart the day again after she had full-quit the app and reloaded it.

Cranberry Candy forever - every Wednesday, our QoS re-run is Cranberry Candy. Fairly certain Queen of Sauce functioned normally until we first got the Cranberry Candy recipe. We're now just into Year 3, yet the rerun stays the same even though we've both learnt the recipe. To try and fix this, we've both moved the TV in the main house in th hope it would 'reset' the TV, but no luck.

Invite code screen GUI issues - When my girlfriend clicks on the 'Enter Invite Code' option in the Co-op Menu, the window changes from fullscreen to a smaller window. On clicking the fullscreen option in the top corner, the window fills the screen again but the text input area for the invite code doesn't move, and ends up overlayed on top of the 'Enter Invite Code' banner. We don't know if this one has now been fixed, as we resorted to just doing an invite through Steam which completely steps over this screen, but it used to happen every time we started playing.

Xbox One Controller disconnects - Invariably her controller will disconnect a couple of times a session. The light ont he controller just starts flashing, Stardew says gamepad disconnected. If we take the batteries out of the controller, put back in and turn it back on again, it connect just fine and she carries on playing. Bluetooth drivers are all up to date, controller firmware is up to date. Other bluetooth devices don't drop out when connected to her laptop, nor does this controller when connected to any other laptop/xbox. We can probably test this using a cable instead of bluetooth to see if that fixes it, but again, it only seems to drop out on Stardew?

Some basic info about our setup:
I always host, she always joins.
We are both on Stardew 1.5.4.
We both run Windows 10.
We are both on the same network, sat side by side.
We both play through Steam, have both reinstalled the game and successfully verfied integrity of game files in the Steam properties menu.
Neither of us plays with mods, nor have we ever downloaded or tried to use mods.
We have never manually edited the game files to give ourselves money/recipes etc.
We are both playing in English.
I play with Keyboard and Mouse, she plays with an Xbox One Controller connected via Bluetooth.
We have never had any network problems actually connecting to the game.
We play on the original farm map.

Appreciate any help we can get with this, honestly no idea whats going on. Aside from Cranberry Candy, my game runs flawlessly.