Switch [BUG] Infinite Update Download Loop

lhyatt

Newcomer
Hi so my wife and I are trying to play Stardew Valley together!

I purchased a physical copy of the game and it works flawlessly! When we decided that we wanted to play together we bought a digital copy for her switch after messing around with the game some on my switch. We played on her account on my switch and I transferred the safe data to her switch.

After we bought the game digitally so we could play the game together we get this fake infinite loop for download updates. The game doesn’t need an update though, he has the update file 1.4.4. You can see this when you press the + sign.

I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the game (on both switches even), restarted the console, checked for latest Switch OS software update, and I called Nintendo Support. They told me that I could get a refund, but I really rather the game just work!

Attachments

Odin

Staff member
Huh, that is weird. Just to confirm, this is the physical edition from Fangamer?

lhyatt

Newcomer
We purchased the physical edition from Fangamer and that version of the game works flawlessly. The version that we bought from the eShop will not open. It says an update is required however the game says it is up to date when you go into the details of the game in the menu!

lhyatt

Newcomer
The person at Nintendo said that the save data from the physical copy could be messing it up but I’ve even deleted my save file :/

Shiznyte

Newcomer
The person at Nintendo said that the save data from the physical copy could be messing it up but I’ve even deleted my save file :/
I am having this same problem. I purchased the game and cannot play. I played for maybe an hour at a friends place, found out that I enjoyed the game, and ironically can not play it after I purchased the game for myself

secretlondon

Farmhand
I am having this same problem. I purchased the game and cannot play. I played for maybe an hour at a friends place, found out that I enjoyed the game, and ironically can not play it after I purchased the game for myself
Do you also have the physical copy?

secretlondon

Farmhand
Hi so my wife and I are trying to play Stardew Valley together!

I purchased a physical copy of the game and it works flawlessly! When we decided that we wanted to play together we bought a digital copy for her switch after messing around with the game some on my switch. We played on her account on my switch and I transferred the safe data to her switch.

After we bought the game digitally so we could play the game together we get this fake infinite loop for download updates. The game doesn’t need an update though, he has the update file 1.4.4. You can see this when you press the + sign.

I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the game (on both switches even), restarted the console, checked for latest Switch OS software update, and I called Nintendo Support. They told me that I could get a refund, but I really rather the game just work!
This is the update when you press +. What happens when you try and start the game?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to post and say I notified the devs about this problem too, but that being said they do go through these forums so they are most likely aware of it already. Hope it can get fixed soon!

Madmartigen

Greenhorn
I ended up with this same issue. If you update one switch with the switch that has the physical copy using "Match version with local users," that should fix the save file issue. Don't forget to update the switch that originally had the cartridge in it, also. Once updated, the version should read 1.4.4.1.

softly~softly

Greenhorn
I can confirm that this issue is fixed with the v1.5 update now available on Switch.

I could not use the workaround as I didn't have another switch available. The cartridge was borrowed from a library and updated to v1.4.4.1 but my purchased digital copy was stuck in infinite update loop at v1.4.4 so I had to renew the loan to continue playing.

Removing the cartridge and updating the digital version to v1.5 solved the issue which was likely related to the version conflict. A consistent later version available to both cartridge and digital versions has allowed the update to proceed and I am in playing my farmer saved with 1.4.4.1 cartridge version on my 1.5 digital version now.

Happy day!