Windows [BUG] Game doesn't recognise keys, leads to issue with key-bindings/hotkeys

aili

Cowpoke
Hi!
I'm gonna try my best to explain this confusing issue. I have a problem with the hotkeys, and I'm pretty sure the issue started with the 1.5.5 patch. My game is fully updated to 1.5.6, I launch it through Steam. I'm on Windows 10, my game is set in English but my system and my keyboard are German (a standard German QUERTZ keyboard). My game is modded but the issue persists even in a new save with all my mods taken out, so I don't think it's mod-related.

So I'm trying to set my inventory hotkeys, I always used the numbers 1-0 and the two following keys, which are the ß and ´` key on a German keyboard - I'm gonna add a picture to explain it, I usually use the whole blue row but the ones I marked in red are the problem now.

keyboard.png

Since that update, when I try to use those for keybinds, the game tells me those two keys are already in use, which they are not. I already figured out part of the issue because I then tested those two keys with SMAPI's test_input command - and it showed that I pressed "NONE" keys - so the game simply doesn't seem to recognise those keys at all anymore? I've always played with the same language settings for my game and my system/keyboard, nothing about that changed and it always used to work before.
It's really inconvenient cause I suddenly can't use the hotkeys I've been using for years anymore. But I have no idea how to possibly fix it.

I hope I explained this well enough. If I missed anything please let me know!

EscaJ

Newcomer
What I can think of is a workaround rather than a fix. Using something like a joypad key mapper you could make a setup where those keys gives a different output, only for stardew valley. Essentially changing them to two keys you aren't using that the game recognises. It's not a fix but it might help...?