PC [BUG] Game crashes when meteor lands (fixed!)

vvorttexx

Greenhorn
Hi! So while writing this I actually came up with a solution that worked! Sorry if the title is misleading now, but I wanted to still share this in case someone was having a similar problem with their farm!
Solution = Going back to sleep immediately after waking up, without doing anything that day.

I can't believe I didn't try that sooner, but at least the problem is fixed! Sorry if this thread is kind of useless now, but maybe it will help someone who didn't think to go back to sleep, like I didn't at first. :) I'm just happy we get to keep playing this game (without it feeling like the happy death day or groundhog day or something :D).

My old notes before solving the issue:
While playing in multiplayer, the game crashes when we go to sleep every time on day 17 of fall year 3. My boyfriend says that a meteor lands on that day, but my game crashes before it says that on my screen and before the game can save, so we have had to replay that day over and over again, though it just crashes again. I have looked through other guides on what to do when the game crashes when going to sleep. I have checked that my chests and fridge don't have any gaps, gone to sleep with nothing but our tools etc. I also tried deleting a day and replaying days 16 and 17 again. After day 16 it saved normally, but again on day 17 it crashed without saving, when the meteor landed. It's not the first meteor to have landed on our farm and the game has operated normally when the first 2 meteors landed before this.

The game works fine for my boyfriend, since his game shows that the meteor lands, but mine doesn't. I don't think I'm doing anything weird or different that would cause it to crash either. It's very frustrating and makes playing on that farm extremely difficult, since we can't make any progress. I have backed up the game files, but don't know if deleting and reloading the game would help or not.

Notes:
- There are no chests in any coops etc, but there's a chest in our cave.
- There are chests in our basement and outside on our farm.
- The chests or the fridge don't have any gaps between items.
- Game saves normally without crashing on any other day (example: replaying day 16 by deleting the 17th day). So it only crashes when the meteor lands.
- We haven't gone digging in any caves on the day that it crashes (or the day before that).
- We have all our tools when going to sleep.

Things we have tried (that haven't worked):
- Organizing every chest and fridge.
- Going to sleep with nothing but our tools.
- Not selling anything with the box.
- Selling stuff with the box (but nothing you would get from the mines, just crops and animal products).
- Deleting the most resent day.
- Closing everything else on my computer, but the game and steam.

Lemon Pepper

Newcomer
Well it's far too late to help you, but I'm posting for the sake of those who come after us.

I haven't got it 100% figured out, I'll update if I do, but if your case is the same as mine it seems to be caused by a draw error. The meteorite causes the game to redraw for the host only. It fails when it tries to draw the light from lightsources - it appears the data for them has been cleared out (probably for a new day, since they're not present until night). Since the lightGlows are the issue, going to bed before dark can prevent the problem.

There are other factors though - as you said, you didn't have this problem for other meteors. It only happens to the host when a farmhand is present, they're able to successfully complete the day under the same conditions without the farmhand. My farmhand has a cellar upgrade that might be done that night. We were also putting ore in the furnace before bed, maybe it was those glows in particular, but you said you didn't go to the mines.

I suspect it may work if the farmhand disconnects before bed and rejoins in the morning, but I haven't confirmed that.

Oh wait, it's raining in my game the day it lands, that might be it, the lights might be on for dark rainy days 👀 interesting