Windows [BUG] 1.5 Verry low performance when raining

Marian224

Cowpoke
The games was broken after a while from what I see and is not fixed.
When raining the games just lags, low fps on 1.5.6 started from first 1.5.0
And when no rainig still has lag spikes.

Drops from smooth 60 fps all the time to 30 fps.
This was working fine a long time ago.

Even the 1.2.26 is much smoother. But still if you open the menu for like 5 seconds the fps gets to 30 fps and remaining stuck to it.

Windows 10, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD 4600 512MB on Bios

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
I game on older computers a lot and have seen pretty big performance dips when there's a lot of items on the screen (full field of Farm Grass) and/or when it's raining. If it's dipping to 30fps exactly, this is IMO also an annoying bug/effect in the Intel HD Graphics driver if you have VSync turned on. If it can't maintain the screen's regular 60fps (60 Hz) screen refresh rate, it just dumps down to half-rate: 30fps.

Very annoying and I see it in many other games (Rocket League, Slime Rancher for instance). I don't have access to my Intel HD 4600 computer right now but I will next week and I'll try it out.

The cause for SDV is the change in v1.5.4 (might have been v1.5.5?) moving to a new way of drawing everything on the screen, which has seen some performance regressions on some older computers, and it just breaks on Intel HD3000 and 2000, so I guess at least you can play...? Just for a test, you can try to toggle off VSync the next time it rains and see if the performance improves. This may instead do nothing and it could even make it more annoying for you, but it's worth a try.

Marian224

Cowpoke
The rain bug was added on 1.5 and not sure what was changed.
Works well without (The menu bug may disappear 80%) and with VSync on older versions than 1.5. When raining.
On 1.5 with and without VSync is unplayable. Without VSync the fps drops to 50 if you go on below Grass spot on a normal map and the entire screen is moving like a water wave and does not appear the cutting line on the screen. Still, after I exit the house I have dropped frames and freezing frames that not occurs when Snowing or when Raining on 1.2.26.

I don't think the entire problem is to Intel driver if on older game version was working relatively well.

Lew Zealand

Helper
It's not a bug, it's a performance limitation. Before v1.5.4 SDV used DirectX 9 as it's graphics programming interface (API) but that's a Windows-only API. So (I assume) to make it more cross-platform compatible and easier to update, v1.5.4 switched to the OpenGL API which is supported on many platforms: Mac, Linux, possibly even mobile.

However computers with older graphics in them like the 10 year old Intel HD 4600 have not received graphics driver updates for years now and were relatively low-performing in OpenGL beforehand, worse than DirectX 9. Which is why you're seeing drastically lower framerates when there's a lot of things to draw on screen, like when it's raining or there's lots of grass. It's not a bug, just noticeably lower performance which unfortunately means there's no 'fix'. Intel could update the drivers for the HD 4600 to improve performance but they've already abandoned the 3-year newer HD 530 (in a laptop I have) so there's little chance there will be any updates for the 4600. Sorry for the bad news.