Solved [BUG] (1.5.2) Trying to mount summoned horse and then being stuck in an animation

Lach_ninja

Farmhand
So, this happened to me once before (which I had to reset the day as I could not do anything) and now just recently. I didn't encounter this issue after playing one or two seasons worth of update 1.5, but has occurred since updating to 1.5.2 (I think)

The issue occurred when I summoned my horse using the horse flute and quickly attempted to mount (and maybe unmount? not too sure what I did). Once the bug occurs, I couldn't move, change my held item, change my hotbar or even bring out any menu of sort (journal, inventory, etc). However, in-game time still passes.

Not really too sure what else I can do other than reset the day to get out of this stuck animation. Also, in the image I've attached, there seems to be a visual glitch in my character but I'm not too sure what happened.
Horse Stuck Bug.png

Odin

Staff member
The issue occurred when I summoned my horse using the horse flute and quickly attempted to mount (and maybe unmount? not too sure what I did).
Are you able to reproduce this? That is, can you repeat those actions and have this issue happen each time? If so, please share what steps create this bug, as that would be really helpful in fixing it!

So, this happened to me once before (which I had to reset the day as I could not do anything) and now just recently. I didn't encounter this issue after playing one or two seasons worth of update 1.5, but has occurred since updating to 1.5.2 (I think)

The issue occurred when I summoned my horse using the horse flute and quickly attempted to mount (and maybe unmount? not too sure what I did). Once the bug occurs, I couldn't move, change my held item, change my hotbar or even bring out any menu of sort (journal, inventory, etc). However, in-game time still passes.

Not really too sure what else I can do other than reset the day to get out of this stuck animation. Also, in the image I've attached, there seems to be a visual glitch in my character but I'm not too sure what happened.
View attachment 3089
I had the same issue. what happened to me was simmilar spamming right click after summoning the horse with the flute still equipped I got stuck facing forward but i could still move around. when i went back to my house with the return rod, opened the door, or used the hoe it fixed the issue but when i tried using the pickaxe i got stuck in a really weird animation bug and couldn't move, or switch off of the pickaxe and had to wait until i passed out. for me it wasn't a big deal cause i could still move around and cancel it but playing with it a bit got me stuck like i previously said. could be other things that get you full softlocked for the rest of the day but im not sure.

Are you able to reproduce this? That is, can you repeat those actions and have this issue happen each time? If so, please share what steps create this bug, as that would be really helpful in fixing it!
I was able to do it multiple times. all I had to do was summon the horse with the flute and while it was still selected and during freeze time with the quick animation I was spamming right click initially to get on my horse and then a few more times just to see if I could make it happen again (it worked) and at the end of the animation sometimes I would get stuck in this weird moonwalk animation bug where no matter which direction I moved I was always facing forward. more details in my previous response

Lach_ninja

Farmhand
Are you using any mods or is this pure vanilla?
Purely vanilla and no mods.

Yes, I have been able to reproduce the bug using similar steps as the ones Snazzy Salamander has commented previously. It seems to occur when you try to click or spam click during the "blowing the flute" animation that this bug could happen. In my case, I was able to achieve the moonwalking (no walking animation) state (1) that Snazzy stated, the state I mentioned in my original message, state (2), as well as a state where I was able to access the inventory but could not move, change my held item etc, state (3).

For state (1), I think during the "blowing the flute" animation, I did not switch my tools and left it on the horse flute whilst spam clicking to try to achieve this state. In this state, I was able to reset it by opening and closing the inventory. However, in another instance in this "moonwalking" state, I changed to my pickaxe and left clicked, which sent me into state (2).

For state (2), during the "blowing the flute" animation, I switched my held item to the pickaxe (by clicking the hotbar as scrolling does not allow you to change items) and then started left clicking to try to reproduce the bug. At the end of the animation, I was stuck in a similar state as my posted image, mid-swing of my pickaxe. In my attempts to reproduce this bug, I was able to get it to occur both without mounting the horse as well as mounting the horse. This state (2) did not allow me to access the inventory

For state (3), also during the "blowing the flute" animation, I did the same things as state (2) but instead of being stuck at mid-swing of the pickaxe, it froze right at the end of the "blowing the flute" animation and my character is stuck blowing the flute. However, as stated before, in state (3), I was able to open the inventory but outside of the inventory, I cannot move. BUT, in the inventory menu, if I move my character's selected tool (in this case my pickaxe) to a different slot, it reset my character and I was able to move again.

So, this bug doesn't seem to be because of mounting the horse after summoning like I initially thought it was, but more-so to do with the "blowing the flute" animation and the actions taken during it/just after the animation.

State (2)
state (2).png

State (3)
state (3).png

Odin

Staff member
This should be fixed in 1.5.3, but please mention if it's still an issue for you after updating. From the patch notes:
Potential fix for various cases where the player could get stuck/soft-locked in an animation after using a tool. This fixes the Horse Flute softlock, and may potentially solve getting softlocked while trying to fish (on the Beach dock/during the Festival of Ice minigame, etc.).

Lach_ninja

Farmhand
This should be fixed in 1.5.3, but please mention if it's still an issue for you after updating. From the patch notes:
Just thought I'd mention that in 1.5.4 it's still possible to get into a moonwalking state (no walking animation) using the above methods however this isn't too much of an issue as you don't seem to get softlocked because it fixes itself when you swing your pickaxe or open your inventory. I was able to get into this state a couple of times when I tried but tbh, it's not really a gamebreaking issue but a quality of life sort of thing I thought I'd mention. Thanks!