Best way to find diamonds and other ores in 1.18? (Minecraft)

Lew Zealand

Helper
We're in Off Topic so it's all good!

Generally find large open caverns below Y=0 (at Deepslate level) and just cruise around. Strip mining for Diamonds is no longer a good strategy in 1.18+. You'll need to have a bunch of torches with you as Diamonds can spawn on the cavern top and you can easily miss them there.

For Netherite I usually dig down to Y=13 in the Nether and then dig a hallway on that level. Place a Bed in the hallway and then a Cobblestone block next to it between you and the bed. Back up and right click the bed to blow it up (the Cobble block will reduce the you take but is optional), removing a ton of nether blocks and look around for the Netherite ore which is immune to blast damage.

Alternatiely, you can use TNT and place one every 3 or 4 blocks along the tunnel and blow up the first one, which will trigger the rest to blow afterwards. Beds are a lot cheaper to make than TNT, depends on whether you have a Creeper farm for enough Gunpowder for the TNT. I generally don't make farms like that but it'd make it much quicker to get Netherite than the Bed technique.

Last edited:

NextPaige

Planter
Pretty sure you're on the wrong forum, lol. I don't play Minecraft, so I couldn't tell you (I really dislike the game if I'm being honest) Maybe try the Minecraft forums though :p
Ah. There’s a realm my cousin made on bedrock and it reignited my interest in the game a little bit.

NextPaige

Planter
We're in Off Topic so it's all good!

Generally find large open caverns below Y=0 (at Deepslate level) and just cruise around. Strip mining for Diamonds is no longer a good strategy in 1.18+. You'll need to have a bunch of torches with you as Diamonds can spawn on the cavern top and you can easily miss them there.

For Netherite I usually dig down to Y=13 in the Nether and then dig a hallway on that level. Place a Bed in the hallway and then a Cobblestone block next to it between you and the bed. Back up and right click the bed to blow it up (the Cobble block will reduce the you take but is optional), removing a ton of nether blocks and look around for the Netherite ore which is immune to blast damage.

Alternatiely, you can use TNT and place one every 3 or 4 blocks along the tunnel and blow up the first one, which will trigger the rest to blow afterwards. Beds are a lot cheaper to make than TNT, depends on whether you have a Creeper farm for enough Gunpowder for the TNT. I generally don't make farms like that but it'd make it much quicker to get Netherite than the Bed technique.
Thanks! Also, is there any good mob farms that you would recommend?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Thanks! Also, is there any good mob farms that you would recommend?
I'm not much into mob farms (too lazy to build and I play Survival only, no Creative) but my favorite Minecraft info YT channel is wattles and among a great many other things, he builds a number of different farms, some original, some based on other people's designs. His channel covers a lot of different things and he consistently fails to yell or overhype or any of that other boorish stuff, and he uploads almost every day. Just search his channel for mob farms and you should get some good info.

There are other channels that specialize in these types of machines but I watch YouTube for the personalities and I find I can't stand many of them. IMO wattles is pure gold.

NextPaige

Planter
I'm not much into mob farms (too lazy to build and I play Survival only, no Creative) but my favorite Minecraft info YT channel is wattles and among a great many other things, he builds a number of different farms, some original, some based on other people's designs. His channel covers a lot of different things and he consistently fails to yell or overhype or any of that other boorish stuff, and he uploads almost every day. Just search his channel for mob farms and you should get some good info.

There are other channels that specialize in these types of machines but I watch YouTube for the personalities and I find I can't stand many of them. IMO wattles is pure gold.
Thanks! Also speaking of builds, you should watch MagmaMusen. He shows off a bunch of cool little builds, and also uploads cool facts and guides! (As far as I remember he doesn’t even talk, and has in-video captions, so no yelling or over hyping there!)

As boring as it sounds, I use the strip-mining method. The 1.18 is 1 too many updates for my laptop though. I tend to play it safe in Minecraft, if you cannot find diamonds around the 0 level try -12 or -14. Strip mine in multiple levels is my go-to for ore/ diamond hunting. Boring, tedious and effective, take a lot of torches though! If that mine is not well lite you will have hostile mobs spawning in there with you! Also, take a bunch of signs and use them! It is not fun to get lost in your own strip mine! Trust me you could be down there for days!!!

My husband does the adventurers' method, jump in caves, deep holes, explore around lava pits and take armor!!!!

NextPaige

Planter
As boring as it sounds, I use the strip-mining method. The 1.18 is 1 too many updates for my laptop though. I tend to play it safe in Minecraft, if you cannot find diamonds around the 0 level try -12 or -14. Strip mine in multiple levels is my go-to for ore/ diamond hunting. Boring, tedious and effective, take a lot of torches though! If that mine is not well lite you will have hostile mobs spawning in there with you! Also, take a bunch of signs and use them! It is not fun to get lost in your own strip mine! Trust me you could be down there for days!!!

My husband does the adventurers' method, jump in caves, deep holes, explore around lava pits and take armor!!!!
Thanks! Sometimes classic methods are the best! 👍

EmmaSwatson5

Greenhorn
Whether it's the new Minecraft 1.18 update or any earlier version, diamonds are the most sought-after ore in the game. You can use them to create reliable weapons, tools, and armor in the game. I know that diamonds are also important to help you progress in the survival world. Moreover, you need diamonds even if you need Netherite tools, the strongest in Minecraft. The best way to find them is to travel through underwater ravines and caves. Underground mining is the easiest way to get diamonds. And I do it on the best servers; last time, I played updated minecraft pixelmon servers.

Last edited: