Best Things About SDV (Potential Spoilers)

So, to encourage and make ConcernedApe feel appreciated, I’ll (and you don’t have to at all) say something(s) I like about Stardew Valley.
I love how I can lose myself in the game.
I love how easy it is to make connections with the NPCs, and feel enabled to make changes in their lives.
I love (and hate) the energy system. It’s a cool mechanic, and I haven’t seen anything quite like it.
I like gathering berries from the bushes.

I love that interacting with villagers isn't super complicated like that some hate each other and if you friend one another one dislikes you
I love the design of the crops
I love the design monsters
I love how the animals will have a heart when you pat them
I love how you can chose you playstyle
I love the Big cooperation v small town
I love the fishing
I love the farming
I love going caving
I could go on and on but this is enough

My favorite thing is this cozy feeling of sinking into this pleasant, calm, interesting little world.

I've played through several times, and something really fun, is it turns out different every time. Picking different farm maps, playing as male or female, even choosing different outfits, gives each playthrough a different feel. Maybe play the riverland farm, wear the fish shirt, do crab pots, recycle, put the torches everywhere. Or decide it's all gonna be sheep this time, so you grow wheat in the greenhouse for hay, make beer, end up marrying Emily, make clothes and dress up for every festival.

And so many little things I love. Lost books and secret notes. "Might as well wrap your beans in an old washrag." Field snacks and berrybush days. Our Beloved Mona. Wumbus.

SiameezyRPGer

Sodbuster
I love how the game is a perfected farming sim. Like it has all the good stuff from the games that inspired it, but nothing too overwhelming. For example, you never feel like you have to run around town talking to each villager every single game day, lest you lose your friendship with them. Not to mention the added features of getting rid of any inconvenience you may have heaped on yourself, such as a spouse and kids. Plus it has a quality, chill soundtrack and great sound effects as well, which all add to the charming atmosphere.

Jayamos

Farmer
I love that after 200 in game hours I’m still a newbie and there’s more to discover.
I love that it’s fun to play immediately, I don’t have to be “good” at it to enjoy it. And yet there is plenty of challenge as I get more experience.
Every day is different. Something’s always popping up that I didn’t expect.
Same sex marriage.
No matter what mistake I make, there’s always a way to recover.
And this:
My favorite thing is this cozy feeling of sinking into this pleasant, calm, interesting little world.
And this:
Plus it has a quality, chill soundtrack and great sound effects as well, which all add to the charming atmosphere.

FairyRing

Farmer
I love how, as much as SV is light hearted, fun, amazing, clever, imaginative, colorful, thoughtful, cute, diverse, never-ending (which is really a nice feeling) it also has a dark side. It deals with real gritty issues that show up, in a way that doesn't skew the overall magic but allows us to know that there is a deep "human" thread woven throughout.
because without the dark there wouldn't be light. (says the pseudoguru.)

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I love how, as much as SV is light hearted, fun, amazing, clever, imaginative, colorful, thoughtful, cute, diverse, never-ending (which is really a nice feeling) it also has a dark side. It deals with real gritty issues that show up, in a way that doesn't skew the overall magic but allows us to know that there is a deep "human" thread woven throughout.
because without the dark there wouldn't be light. (says the pseudoguru.)
I do agree; in this case there's enough dark to add spice and a bit of immersion, without losing that feeling of it being a safe place to go. In fact it makes it more so; you can be as broken as, eg, Shane and still fit in and have people who care.

I like many things already listed, from the calming soundtrack, the lack of intense pressure to do any one thing (unless self-inflicted) and so on, but for one not yet listed,

I like the junimos. They're just cute.

Confused

Rancher
I love Stardew for its mystery and adventure, all games have something new to explore, but Stradew Valley takes it to the next level. I might not be able to experience that first-time feeling again with Stardew, but I'm happy to know that someone out there can play the game for the first time and discover Stardew's magic for themselves.

Hill Myna

Farmer
I love these Forums best!

That this amount of people can find common ground in a game where everyone is drawn in by something different amazes me.

It's such a great place to chat to people, and just being here keeps me loving SDV! (despite the fact that I very rarely play it at the moment)

I also like the fact that I can totally nerd over this game. I've memorised so many facts; my family members call me the SDV Wiki personified! I've even written an 11,000-word guide about my favourite place, Skull Cavern.

And that I got to play with my Mum; that was just awesome!

And yes, I can't forget the music + sound design. I listen to it all the time, in fact I'm listening to "Settling In" as I write this post!

Oh, and I learnt how to play Tropicala on the piano with my teacher (as a duet)! So much fun to play; it was always one of the highlights of my week. (more info here)

So many things that I love I haven't even mentioned here (mainly because others have already), but one more thing: I love that I can discover new facts about the game despite first playing it 2+ years ago.

OK, I'll stop now. Great job CA, looking forward to the future of Stardew and Haunted Chocolatier too! :)

Potatoes

Farmer
I mean, there's lots of things I love about Stardew Valley, but the music is definitely my favorite.

I remember there was one day whenmy wife and I were convincing each other we needed to clean house. We finally got the energy to get up and do it, so I turned on the soundtrack to listen to while we cleaned. My wife came out or the other room and was like, "I thought you were gonna start cleaning, why are you playing video games?" And I was just like I am gonna start cleaning and when she realized I was just listening to the music she was all, "Oh, good call!"

Sorry that was a bit of a story but I think about it a lot!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I like the variablity, anyone can play any aspect of it and you can put those to such extreme measures that you are practically playing different games.
Also just the pure thought and love put in by CA is so immense and wholesome and his support of the community that it makes the game feel like so much more of an experience.

StephenLegodi

Greenhorn
I mean, there's lots of things I love about Stardew Valley, but the music is definitely my favorite.

I remember there was one day whenmy wife and I were convincing each other we needed to clean house. We finally got the energy to get up and do it, so I turned on the soundtrack to listen to while we cleaned. My wife came out or the other room and was like, "I thought you were gonna start cleaning, why are you playing video games?" And I was just like I am gonna start cleaning and when she realized I was just listening to the music she was all, "Oh, good call!"
hipnaija

Sorry that was a bit of a story but I think about it a lot!
that music is love indeed

Marie

Tiller
This topic makes me feel bad because I just posted a complaint. But all n` all I love, love, love this game. I've spent hours playing and get so absorbed I don't realize how the time goes by. I just finished the upstairs of my house and this week I'm going to start looking for a husband. Excited about that as I haven't decided yet who I might want to marry. I get happy when I see new little chicks in the chicken house. Or a new calf or baby goat. It is all good.

Pangaearocks

Planter
Many great things about this game, but what I love most is probably the relaxing music. Plus the sound of rain. Skull Cavern runs too, but that's a tad less relaxing 😂

It is jaw-dropping that essentially this entire master piece has been created by one person. Everything. Code, music, art, animation, writing, every single little piece of detail. Truly astonishing. AAA studios keep pushing out a line or polished turds, and this one-man game is superior :heart: