BEST STARDEW SPOUSE

StardewKat111

Farmhand
Hello all ^_^
I was curious and wanted to know from people who have chosen different spouses in different save files, who has been your favorite of the possible choices and why?
(Mine has always just been Sam)
I just like sebastian because he's very calm and nihilistic like me. I also like Elliot (though some of his sprites look ugly) because he's very sweet and awkward. He also has ambition, but stays wise. Both are introverted like me, and I also write and game. They are buit for my interests and favorite personality traits.

JuliB00

Sodbuster
I've taken a liking to Penny. Not because she's a damsel in distress from the Pam Beast, though. I like that she wants to make a difference in kids' lives no matter how small it seems. Her sprite is also cute as heck (my favorite in the game). ALSO, the superiority of her 14 heart event because who doesn't want a strawberry themed bedroom with exclusive décor you can't get anywhere else? If you don't like pink and strawberries, she also can make your bedroom a pirate den or a tranquil night sky.

NGL I kinda use NPCs for their benefits that you get by being friends with them (recipes) so I will marry every character eventually. Just not in the same save because I'm not that cruel... or maybe I'll just use my first ever farm for that because it's a riverland farm and that farm is the WORST. No regrets

Lew Zealand

Helper
Wake up. Cold empty bed spot next to me, that's no good. The cat's even found something better to do.

Fine, my bed! Don't smell Pancakes or Eggs, no need to get up then.

Booooooooring......

Fine I'm up! Bah, mornings... Head out the door and I'm blinded by a blanket of snow hugging a pathetic patch of Winter Forage planted only to make it feel like I'm doing something useful. A rear end draped by a fluff of blonde hair bumps into me from the side of the porch and Haley turns around, saying,

"Oops! Morning, dear! I got up early to feed the animals and water the plants." Um, we have Sprinklers and Big Barn/Coop autofeeders.
"Oh, thanks Haley." Just roll with it, marriage is an exchange of ideas and interests.
"I wish I could do more on the farm."
"That's very thoughtful of you, dear, but I'm the one who chose to live and work in this gilded palace," I say, grandiosely sweeping my arm around the barren vestiges of a once semi-prosperous farm.
"Well, I'll just get back to dusting, then!" ??? Why are you dusting— outside. In the Winter.
"Whew!" Haley concludes, "it's hot out here!"
It's Winter. And you're wearing a summer dress.

Just kiss your spouse and don't ask questions.

Haley is the best spouse, there is no contest.

Abigail is my favorite, because she was my first, and because she resonates with me in terms of interests and personality. Into gaming, into music, with an adventurous spirit, and she likes all things mining. Plus she loves spicy eel! She's just great.

However you asked two very different questions. In the OP, you asked who the favorite is. The thread title asks who is the Best. Objectively though I think Emily is the best female spouse. Here's why:

Reactions to bad gifts: Only Penny is nicer. Emily is clear she doesn't like them, apologizes for it, and doesn't insult you or call you stupid for giving it to her. Abigail and Haley outright call you dumb for having gifted them the undesirable gift, Maru and Leah are nicer, but Emily and Penny are nicest.

Ease of gift giving: She hangs out in the Saloon literally every day other than two during the year where she's readily accessible. She doesn't hide within a locked house like Leah, or wander all over the map like Haley or Abigail, she isn't way out of your way like Maru, or have a highly variable schedule like Penny. She's almost always in the Saloon after 4, and they sell things right there which she likes if you forgot to bring one of her Many loved gifts.

10+ heart events: That which is locked behind pursuing a relationship with her. Leah literally punches someone during her 10 heart scene, and expresses no real interest in you, instead just yelling at someone else. With Emily, a potential point of conflict goes, *ahem*, a very different direction. At the 14 heart event, Abigail gets traumatized. Emily gives you a unique gift.

There's lots of reasons to prefer one over another, but Emily has in game mechanical advantages over the others. So I think it's fair to call her "best".

curl

Sodbuster
You know
I've taken a liking to Penny. Not because she's a damsel in distress from the Pam Beast, though. I like that she wants to make a difference in kids' lives no matter how small it seems. Her sprite is also cute as heck (my favorite in the game). ALSO, the superiority of her 14 heart event because who doesn't want a strawberry themed bedroom with exclusive décor you can't get anywhere else? If you don't like pink and strawberries, she also can make your bedroom a pirate den or a tranquil night sky.

NGL I kinda use NPCs for their benefits that you get by being friends with them (recipes) so I will marry every character eventually. Just not in the same save because I'm not that cruel... or maybe I'll just use my first ever farm for that because it's a riverland farm and that farm is the WORST. No regrets
you know I really wanted penny too because of how cute and almost shy she is

Reactions: Tom

UA_MAIA

Greenhorn
Hello all ^_^
I was curious and wanted to know from people who have chosen different spouses in different save files, who has been your favorite of the possible choices and why?
I've married; Shane, Sam, and Sebastian. Shane is a slob. His extra room was disgusting. Sebastian is so melancholy and depressing. He doesn't always sleep at home, which bothers me. Is my fictional man out on dates with other fictional characters? :sebastian::abigail: Sam is my favorite. He's pretty lighthearted and cares about his family.

Reactions: Tom
I agree that Emily is the best spouse from gameplay perspective. She continues to send gifts in the mail as well as spouse gifts, her special item actually has in game use beyond decorative, and she has many easy loved gifts.

Penny was my first wife and I loved her. Her spouse room is really pretty. And l really liked being able to help out my mother in law.

But my favorite spouse was, surprisingly, Alex. His daily dialog was sweet and playful and his 14 heart event was really nice, and unique in that it changed a space in town and other characters schedules.

Ilune

Planter
My spouses were Sebastian, in the first run, then always Penny or Shane.
Penny is cute and nice and loves children, and I like how she decore home. Shane try to do the best as papa and try to stay away from alchool - and is a bit introvert but often says how love the farmer.
In a run, I dated every bachelor and bachelorette of the game, and in this run I can't chose between Harvey and Sam.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Eh, I don't really care about the npcs except for recipes for completetion and the stardrop and dislike the children.
Emily gives an outfit which I think is the best of the 14 heart things you get and having krobus living as a roomate lets you enter his store without talking to him saving 2-3 seconds which is about as useful as they get.

Sophie

Tiller
Haley has got to be my favorite so far. She changes so much from when you first meet her, her 14 heart event is great, and her dialogue is the most supportive of all - it is always the repeated dialogue that makes me like or dislike a spouse the most.

I am starting a playthrough to marry Emily, so I shall see....

Confused

Rancher
Hello all ^_^
Honestly, I kinda love all the spouses I've been with, but one of my favorites from when I was a young SDV player was Harvey. (and Sam too, I was so shocked when his cute little blush sprite came up-)