Best fish ponds.

ArtifactSpot

I am nearing year 3 in a beach farm so want to change things up a bit. I want to make a farm of fish ponds I’m sure I can get 20 on the sandy part easily. What are the best/funnest fish pond choices? Which most reliably produce useful objects. Not looking for profit, just fun and utility. Also which fish turn water pretty colors?

abzkelly

Farmhand
For pretty colours: Slimejack, midnight carp, lava eel*, and super cucumber*. * = really good or profitable items.
Ice pip gives iron once it's pretty full, rainbow trout has a low chance of a prismatic shard, and I recommend peeking at the fish on the Wiki and looking through all the offerings, but those are the ones off the top of my head!

Lew Zealand

Helper
My Beach farm has all the colored water ponds mentioned by abzkelly because color, as well as Maher's Stingrays and also Lionfish in order to get Tiger Slime Eggs. I love getting Spicy Eel :abigail: from the Lava Eels and Iridium Ore :wizard: and Amethyst :abigail: from the Super Cukes if you can get them early enough in the game.

Yes. You read that right, you don't get Tiger Slime Eggs from Tiger Trout, instead from

Lionfish. :hmm:

If you like Fishing then having a steady supply of Seafoam Pudding is nice, so add in:

Midnight Squid (or regular booooooooring Squid) for Ink
Midnight Carp
Midnight ehh... regular Flounder

If you still need to finish the Museum, then an Octopus :willy: could be useful for Omni Geodes. Blue Discus give Bananas and Golden Coconuts which are just fun! The Woodskip doesn't give particularly valuable things but delivers a decent variety of :robin: Wood and :leah: Tree-based things which is fun. The Stonefish does the same for :clint: Stone-based things. The Ghostfish does the same for :abigail: Quartz and Algae-based things.

Other Fish give even better items but the chances of them are so low that I'm not interested in waiting the 10 in-game years for the item. And I realize now that I have no Fish Ponds in my current save. Off to fix that!

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Blobfish and lava eel make the most money.

Stingrays probably give the most useful items for most people.

Most of the beach forage fish (like mussels) give lots of seaweed (good to help keep making more fish ponds).

Lava eel, slimejack, super cucumber, void salmon, all give cool different colours which really spices up your options for aesthetics.

Just 2 cucumber fish ponds and some pots with blue jazz and corn is enough to have permanent +3/+4 luck buff basically (not the whole day without seasoning - though I also just recommend speed for most stuff)

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
The fish that have a chance to give geodes, like Ice Pip and Lava Eel, are great, because they have other useful things, are rare, pretty visually and their roe sells for a nice little sum, when aged.

Sturgeon is a no brainer, because "caviar". Even a bundle requires it.

Rainbow Trout looks nice. It has an extremely low chance for Prismatic shard, but after ~80 real time hours, it finally broke and yielded me one. I say, well worth it, because even 1 of this extremely rare item, can make a diferrence (and for me, it did, hello "Crusader" on weapon with first enchant!).

Super Cucumber is another good looking sea creature. You can even use it in fish tanks! It gave me iridium a number of times and its amethyst, is loved by certain NPCs.

Blobfish and Spookfish are among my favorites. Pearl is very rare but i collect them, totem is handy and the Treasure Chest, is my favorite! I have two pirate hats, thanks to this little fella (spookfish)!

Lots of people recommend those. I myself expanded on this and added:

Octopus. Great for Omni Geodes, even though it yields them rarely.

Midnight Squid. We need a steady supply of ink, both for dyes and for cooking; as well as for Seafoam pudding, when he hunt difficult fish.

Blue Discus. Before i was able to get myself a banana sapling, this cute fish gave me some free fruit. It also yielded me a couple of Golden Walnuts, one of which contained the rare helm! What's there not to love?

Stingray. It has a very interesting item table, even though all of them are pretty rare. Only once it gave me a dragon tooth, but it was the single dragon tooth i had been away, from building the Obelisk. I take care of those who take care of me!

As a bonus, lava eel pond becomes red, in the color of lava. Willy loves octopuses, too.

I am considering to add a crab pond, because you get a reward and i like crustaceans. I am also considering eels, because lava eels rarely drop food. I riddled my field with fish ponds, as early as i could afford it! Invest in them fish right away, you will never regret it, i swear! Just remember to build lots of barrels in tandem, to age their roe!

Last edited:

Benhimself

Rancher
Everyone has given very fine practical suggestions. Now, for IMpractical suggestions:

Set aside the fish you catch earns you the Fisherman, Ol' Mariner, Master Angler, and Mother Catch achievements. Give each of them a pond for the honor of earning you a star in your achievements!

Surround each Obelisk with ponds containing fish caught from that area that can't be found anywhere else.

Make a Carp fish pond. Its description is literally "A common pond fish." You pretty much have to!

Make a Coral pond. It's very zen. Put a bench nearby and sit down for a bit. You've earned it.

Check out the fish pond page of the wiki. It has the full list of what every fish produces. Totems, ore, minerals, gems, seeds, wood, trash! So many fun things.

Crabs for the pearl and sturgeon for the hidden bundle's caviar, and you can empty them out afterwards.

Any fish recipes you use regularly, even snails to make escargot, or salmon for Alex's favorite meal.

The items they request can be really fun too. Blobfish want pizza and cookies, just like me! Hahahaha!

ArtifactSpot

Wow thanks everyone this is a huge help! I love keeping pet fish in our home and have several large aquariums full. I don’t usually do ponds as I usually seem to only get roe. I’m not in it for money right now, just fun fish and fun things to collect. As for colors I don’t know if it’s my mobile iOS game bought from App Store vs the arcade version but they don’t color for me. lol. Dumb luck I guess.