Befriending Morris

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Hear me out.

In a poll about NPCs we'd like to befriend, I didn't vote for Morris because it would likely be difficult to make him befriendable because of his tie to the main story of the game, with the only way to conceivably befriend him being if you went with the Joja route, seeing as he gets run out of town at the end of the Junimo route. However, I do think there's a way that befriending Morris could theoretically work, one that gives him character development, including heart scenes that provide insight as to why he is the way he is, making him much more dynamic and interesting. Essentially, the development of his character could depend on the actions of the player.

For example, if the player goes with the Joja route, little to nothing changes about him by the end of the storyline. Should the player bring him as a guest to the Movie Theater, he'd likely stroke his ego about how he made something great out of the old Community Center. Conversely, if the player goes with the Junimo route and has high enough friendship with him by the end of it, probably at least eight hearts, then an alternate version of the Community Center restoration scene could play out. In it, Morris has a change of heart, ditching Joja and sticking around as a resident of Pelican Town. When he's taken to the Movie Theater, he could comment on how great work was made of the abandoned JojaMart building. However, should the player's relationship with him not be high enough by the end of the Junimo route (less than eight hearts), then the Community Center restoration scene will play out as normal, and he'll still be run out of town, being removed from the player's friendship panel in the process.

One question I know people are gonna have is how this would work with having maximum hearts with all villagers be a requirement for 100% completion. I think the solution to this would actually be pretty simple. I'd personally make it so that Morris is only factored into this if he's currently befriendable. That is, he's still around and hasn't been run out of town.

Any thoughts on this are welcome!

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
I think it's an interesting idea. And having max hearts with everybody is, in my Most Humble Opinion, a damn annoying requirement for an achievement. What if I don't *like* everybody? Feeling obligated to get along just so I can get some meta-game trophy is not really how I'd like to play; I rather wish more games like Stardew were like, "Hey, guess what! You chose to do X so now you can't do Y and them's the breaks! No such thing as '100% Completion' in this game, suckaz!"

I mean, it would be cool if you got a special scene with, say, Abigail if you could prove the Wizard were actually her dad. Pierre would lose his ^}%], Caroline would hate you, and Abigail would be like, "See! You're not even my REAL dad! I don't have to listen to your overprotective patriarchal crap anymore! I'm off to the mines, PIERRE." I think it would be awesome if choices you made led to unique persistent game events, even if it means some people just wouldn't like you as much afterward, or certain avenues were closed off. I mean, let's say you marry and divorce Haley; shouldn't Emily be a little reluctant to marry you after that? "Oh, you totally broke my sister's heart, but you're cute and off-the-wall, so sure I'll marry you! Hope it doesn't make Yule awkward!" :P

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
That's why I think befriending Morris, if that were to ever be implemented, should be optional from the beginning. Sure, that might lead to a "golden ending" of sorts, but if you really, really dislike Morris, then you won't be completely locked out of 100% completion if you don't befriend him and he gets run out of town.

CDoggy

Tiller
I think it’s a great idea. I think Morris does not get enough love, but I don’t like taking the Joja route. So it would be great to be able to have him stay in the valley.

Where would Morris live?