Become the Mayor! (Game Suggestion)

If not mayor, some sort of community leader would make sense given how much the farmer does for the town! Repairing bridges, restoring the museum, just all around helping out. Even just being able to finally clear the trash would be a nice prize!

LRangerR

Local Legend
If not mayor, some sort of community leader would make sense given how much the farmer does for the town! Repairing bridges, restoring the museum, just all around helping out. Even just being able to finally clear the trash would be a nice prize!
What trash?

Fat Link

Cowpoke
So If a choose the first one I can't run? Awesome!
If CA ever decided to add this it could just work like the Upgrade Pam's house option now ie in other word's its just an option that you can take it or leave it that wouldn't majorly effect gameplay overall.

That or perhaps if CA ever added this maybe to give people like you some gameplay fun too ie those of you that actually like Lewis you could perhaps complete specific tasks for him that would help him win his campaign against some randomly selected villager or specific new character that appears in the valley simply to run against Lewis if you the player decide to side with him instead...hmmm maybe Morris could fit the opposing role? Then it'd be a well established character running against Lewis instead of an outsider.

LRangerR

Local Legend
If CA ever decided to add this it could just work like the Upgrade Pam's house option now ie in other word's its just an option that you can take it or leave it that wouldn't majorly effect gameplay overall.

That or perhaps if CA ever added this maybe to give people like you some gameplay fun too ie those of you that actually like Lewis you could perhaps complete specific tasks for him that would help him win his campaign against some randomly selected villager or specific new character that appears in the valley simply to run against Lewis if you the player decide to side with him instead...hmmm maybe Morris could fit the opposing role? Then it'd be a well established character running against Lewis instead of an outsider.
I think it'd be more impactful story-wise if Morris "introduced" someone to the town to run for mayor. But only if you go Joja route. If you go CC route it could be, idk, Gunther or someone. Maybe Krobus.

ZeFat

Sodbuster
Could a Sashimi Chef open up a shop?

But real talk, these ideas are amazing and I would endorse them if it ever gets through!

What trash?
Oh! I looked this up, and I haven't gotten to a certain spoiler point in my 1.4 game. My previous plays were before the update, as far as I can tell. So, that's my bad! Nevermind then.

Joja making a bid for Mayor makes sense. They could even do it if the community center is restored, maybe? Like return of the Joja, trying to buy votes? Not that the townsfolk would *want* Morris after that.

If Krobus ran for mayor I would vote him in. Encourage him by getting him to full hearts and get him more comfortable with humans. Maybe draw in visitors from the void?

LRangerR

Local Legend
Joja making a bid for Mayor makes sense. They could even do it if the community center is restored, maybe? Like return of the Joja, trying to buy votes? Not that the townsfolk would *want* Morris after that.
I would want a new NPC, mostly to highlight the fact that Morris is a replaceable and failed cog in the corporate machine, since, y'know, he didn't succeed with his objective in Stardew the first time.

TheBookDragon

Sodbuster
As long as it's an optional part of the game, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I personally wouldn't want to be mayor myself but I also wouldn't mind it for the players who would like it

imnvs

Local Legend
I dunno...

If you get to be mayor, I think you should be required to do mayor stuff. Go around and collect taxes, for example. Also, who is going to collect from your shipping bin every day? Lewis the Mayor does that, so he's basically the postal carrier too, and now you have to go around delivering everyone's mail too? If you just get to be mayor but don't have to do anything about it... well, that would feel just cheap to me.

And I don't want to have to do all the stuff Lewis does in town. I have a thriving farm that needs me.

GG Cannon

Tiller
I dunno...

If you get to be mayor, I think you should be required to do mayor stuff. Go around and collect taxes, for example. Also, who is going to collect from your shipping bin every day? Lewis the Mayor does that, so he's basically the postal carrier too, and now you have to go around delivering everyone's mail too? If you just get to be mayor but don't have to do anything about it... well, that would feel just cheap to me.

And I don't want to have to do all the stuff Lewis does in town. I have a thriving farm that needs me.
That is an interesting concept but Lewis does those things because he embezzles the money (no wonder he has a golden statue) and if those jobs weren't fulfilled, a lot of people would complain and create problems for him.

All of those could easily be solved with investment to create a single simple small town postal service.

It could even create an interesting moral dilema/side quest/choice for the player after becoming a Mayor to do those things himself daily in order to use the money somewhere else (or embezzle with consequences of its own) or to fund the construction of a postal service.

Both through the Joja route or the Community Center route there would be a meaning behind doing that.

Specially through the Community Center route, since with the Joja closed, there are less year round stable jobs on the village.
Whoever were to work there, it could even be interesting to see them delivering letters and packages sometimes during the day.

imnvs

Local Legend
A lot of things based on some assumptions.
1, you don't know that Lewis is embezzling. He's not a young man and could have been saving for a long time. He is paid a salary, and just because he has a gold statue doesn't mean he had to use town funds to get it.

2, this is a small town. 35-ish peoples' taxes aren't going to pay for much and already have to pay for all of the festivals, the mayor's salary (and to reiterate, what he does with his money is none of your business) and anything else that taxes are responsible for.

3, with the information we have it is just as likely that Lewis does these things because he doesn't have the funds to build a new building and hire a new person without spending his own money to do so... and if he has the time, he may as well just do them. It's not like he's running a metropolis where there's 1000 decisions needing being made. He has time to do these things.

You really are assuming a lot about Lewis. Also, even if you can replace him with a postal service... he does it for free. Why screw with a good thing? And what if you find out after this is implemented that in CA's mind Lewis absolutely wasn't embezzling and now you're stuck with 1000g per month coming in for taxes, you have to ensure everyone's mail is picked up and delivered, you have to collect the taxes on specific and different days for every person in town, and if you want to pay anyone to do it for you that they will demand a 2500g per month in salary?

GG Cannon

Tiller
1, you don't know that Lewis is embezzling. He's not a young man and could have been saving for a long time. He is paid a salary, and just because he has a gold statue doesn't mean he had to use town funds to get it.

2, this is a small town. 35-ish peoples' taxes aren't going to pay for much and already have to pay for all of the festivals, the mayor's salary (and to reiterate, what he does with his money is none of your business) and anything else that taxes are responsible for.

3, with the information we have it is just as likely that Lewis does these things because he doesn't have the funds to build a new building and hire a new person without spending his own money to do so... and if he has the time, he may as well just do them. It's not like he's running a metropolis where there's 1000 decisions needing being made. He has time to do these things.

You really are assuming a lot about Lewis. Also, even if you can replace him with a postal service... he does it for free. Why screw with a good thing? And what if you find out after this is implemented that in CA's mind Lewis absolutely wasn't embezzling and now you're stuck with 1000g per month coming in for taxes, you have to ensure everyone's mail is picked up and delivered, you have to collect the taxes on specific and different days for every person in town, and if you want to pay anyone to do it for you that they will demand a 2500g per month in salary?
Yes, we do:
1618322462448.png

If we leave this in the town anywhere public outside of the path of any NPC, so they don't destroy it, the next day it will be replaced with a Rotten Plant, and the player will receive an unsigned letter in the mail containing 750 gold.
Lewis said:
“<Player>
In the future, I'd appreciate it very much if you refrained from placing my PRIVATE belongings in town for all to see!

I'm very displeased!

Take this money and never speak of my 'project' to anyone.” (Clearly a bribe)
The town is small and a small town Mayor does not make enough to make a 1:1 statue of themselves no matter how long they work for as they have bills to pay and need to eat, even if they stay for years on the job.

If you just remove the projected embezzlement needed to fund a 1:1 gold statue + a basis and anything else he might have embezzled, there is plenty of money to fund small projects that raise revenue to fund even bigger projects.

A postal service GENERATES revenue. Lewis does it for 0, a postal service generates money, so by not having a postal service and Lewis doing it himself, the town is actually losing money. It is not really a "good thing".

Also, you are assuming a lot with that the town would only have 1000g as total tax revenue when a single cauliflower is around 175.
That would be the same to say that the total monthly revenue of the whole town is less than 6 cauliflowers.

Specially since for you to even become the Mayor, the town will already have, due to the requirements of the suggestion, a working inter municipal bus service and a movie theater, besides the taxes on sales of Pierre, which has already admitted to overpricing products 10 to 1 and if you go through Joja, the taxes over Joja sales as well.

Last edited:

GG Cannon

Tiller
I've been revisiting this idea and thought of a few more things that could be interesting funding options that the player could invest town money over time.

Besides the Hospital, School and other simple improvements to the town I mentioned in the original post, other things that could possibly be built by acting as a Mayor are:

• Camping Area
    [Location: The Mountains]
    Increases town tourism during spring, summer and fall, increasing the town revenue (money to reinvest in other projects of the Mayor's duty).
    The camping area would be built on the mountains, in the area where Linus hut and Leo's tree are.
    Sometimes, tourists, like you see in some events, would spawn in that area and some citizens would also go to camp and Linus and Leo would both be extremely happy to see other people trying to experience their lifestyle.
    Would improve the relationship between the townsfolk and Linus.

• Fishing Hut
    [Location: The Mountains]
    Requirement: Camping Area
    Built on the two small islands on the lake below the mine and the adventurers guild.
    Further increases town revenue due to the tourism from the Camping Area.
    Willy would frequently visit the Fishing Hut and get involved with the campers, also bettering the relationship between Willy, Linus and Leo.

• Beach Improvements
    Clears all the debris on the beach, adds Parasols and a drink hut. Also improves on the pier and adds a romantic area to the pier on the right side of the Beach near the area where you purchase the Mermaid's Pendant from the old mariner.
    Increases town tourism revenue during spring and summer.
    Small changes to a few events that happen on the beach, such as the Luau, the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies and the Night Market.
    Increases the number of boat shops and products available in the Night Market and makes most couples spend the events in the romantic pier area.

• Second Residential Area
    Opens a possibility of new townsfolk moving in after the town starts to grow with your efforts.
    Increases the selling price of all harvested crops, since there is more demand for food, increase the players private profits.
    Adds new NPCs. One of the houses is purchased by the Governor (he does mention that maybe he should by a house in Stardew Valley)

• Postal Service
    Mentioned in my previous/last comment.
    Suggested Postmen: Shane and Sam.
    Interacting more with people exercising more by walking to deliver and working, Shane starts drinking less and both his health and mood become a lot better.
    Sam is working to gather money to fund his future band needs and more guitars. Sam's outgoing personality is a big part on why Shane improves as they start interacting more on the job.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Some people just LOVE to hate Lewis for some reason. IMO it sounds like this guy just wants Lewis to be the bad guy so he can turn SDV into a resort town, complete with a skyscraper hotel.

Depending on how the mayor system goes, it sounds like a lot on your own. Perhaps Lewis can help in the first year to get you going. Getting taxes and adding your own funds to build the valley does sound exciting. Though if you are using the land to build, there's going to be a point where it'll get crowded. It would require a larger map, the likes of the expanded mod. Sounds like a LOOOOOOT of work for CA to do. The valley is small and it works as a small town in the mountain which brings the charm to it all. Having too much could ruin that feeling, BUT new content like this that gives a lot more to develop the town which could work, maybe.

imnvs

Local Legend
Yes, we do:
View attachment 5073
If we leave this in the town anywhere public outside of the path of any NPC, so they don't destroy it, the next day it will be replaced with a Rotten Plant, and the player will receive an unsigned letter in the mail containing 750 gold.

The town is small and a small town Mayor does not make enough to make a 1:1 statue of themselves no matter how long they work for as they have bills to pay and need to eat, even if they stay for years on the job.

If you just remove the projected embezzlement needed to fund a 1:1 gold statue + a basis and anything else he might have embezzled, there is plenty of money to fund small projects that raise revenue to fund even bigger projects.

A postal service GENERATES revenue. Lewis does it for 0, a postal service generates money, so by not having a postal service and Lewis doing it himself, the town is actually losing money. It is not really a "good thing".

Also, you are assuming a lot with that the town would only have 1000g as total tax revenue when a single cauliflower is around 175.
That would be the same to say that the total monthly revenue of the whole town is less than 6 cauliflowers.

Specially since for you to even become the Mayor, the town will already have, due to the requirements of the suggestion, a working inter municipal bus service and a movie theater, besides the taxes on sales of Pierre, which has already admitted to overpricing products 10 to 1 and if you go through Joja, the taxes over Joja sales as well.
No, you're assuming that this man's salary isn't enough, and you're ignoring what I said about his life previously. He could have had 90% of the money needed before even moving to Pelican Town and becoming mayor. You literally can NOT know. You are absolutely making assumptions.

Also, a postal service makes no revenue if there is no charge. There is no charge.

And I made up numbers to make a point. You don't know what the taxes are, and you don't know what it would cost to build a post office and hire a postal carrier. So this time, maybe answer the question? What will you do if this is implemented and when it is, you find out that the taxes don't even cover half the salary of the postal carrier you want to hire?

LRangerR

Local Legend
So this time, maybe answer the question? What will you do if this is implemented and when it is, you find out that the taxes don't even cover half the salary of the postal carrier you want to hire?
Just before I read this thread again, I thought of the question once more: If a real mayor system was implemented, you would have absolutely zero system holding your hand, and you would have to guide Pelican Town to success on your own. And if the game system doesn't exist, how would you do that?

GG Cannon

Tiller
Some people just LOVE to hate Lewis for some reason. IMO it sounds like this guy just wants Lewis to be the bad guy so he can turn SDV into a resort town, complete with a skyscraper hotel.
Dude, take what I said with a grain of salt. It is my thoughts and opinions.
Also, I went through the Community Center route and never had a Joja playthrough, so what you said about turning SDV into a "resort town, complete with a skyscraper hotel" is actually insulting me.

Also, I'm a Brazilian. To us Brazilians, "A Corrupt Politician" is a pleonasm/redundant.

I think 3 things:
1- Lewis is not an evil person.
2- Lewis fell to temptation and embezzles.
3- Lewis made poor choices as a Mayor to remove expenditure.

If you think differently, I'm not forcing you to think the same as I do. BUT one thing clearly a lot of people seem to think since this idea seem to have been at least a bit popular are:
1- Lewis is due and maybe deserving of retirement.
2- <The player> can, if given a chance, make the town grow more than Lewis can if given the power of the Mayor.

No, you're assuming that this man's salary isn't enough, and you're ignoring what I said about his life previously. He could have had 90% of the money needed before even moving to Pelican Town and becoming mayor. You literally can NOT know. You are absolutely making assumptions.
Just as you are assuming that it is, and my assumptions are based on information present in the game where a large section of the fan basis seem to agree on, which, if you don't, I am not forcing you to agree on, but you are trying to force me to stop believing.
Also, a postal service makes no revenue if there is no charge. There is no charge.
Lewis doesn't charge. A official Postal Service would indeed need and have a charge, which can be translated in the game in many ways.
And I made up numbers to make a point. You don't know what the taxes are, and you don't know what it would cost to build a post office and hire a postal carrier. So this time, maybe answer the question? What will you do if this is implemented and when it is, you find out that the taxes don't even cover half the salary of the postal carrier you want to hire?
I would be severely incredulous that a town with an active market makes so little tax revenue and address the issue by informing the population about a tax reform.
Specially because taxation is not the only revenue of a town but there is also money that is given by the government to reinvest in the town, so even if the town had 0 taxes, there would be quite a considerable amount of money being sent from the Governor that would more than easily cover opening a small postal service office and hiring 1 or 2 employees for it.