Windows Background music often doesn't work properly in split-screen multiplayer

bri_bri

Farmhand
When playing on Windows in split-screen multiplayer, there are situations in which the game's music doesn't work properly. This seems to stem from the fact that it needs to choose which player's music to play at any given time, and from what I can tell one player's music will have priority over the others depending on where they are and what sort of event is going on.

However, there are circumstances in which the music will:
  • Restart erroneously
  • Play for a split second and then stop
  • Stop playing altogether
So far I've only played two-player split screen, but I've noticed ways to consistently trigger these issues. For each of these set of instructions, start a local multi-player game with two players.

1. Have player 1 stay on the farm on a non-raining day so that the usual seasonal background music is playing. Then have player 2 go to Ginger Island. Note that the music doesn't change. As player 2 moves from Ginger Island South to Ginger Island West, the music will erroneously restart from the beginning. (There are other situations that trigger this bug, but this is the one that I've noticed the most consistently.)

2. Have player 1 stay on the farm on a non-raining day so that the season background music is playing. Then have player 2 go to the mines. Note that the music stops. Next, have player 2 begin descending through the mines using staircases. At the point where the mines' background music would normally start playing, you'll hear it for a split second and then it'll stop, and there'll be no further music.

3. Generally as long as player 2 is in the mines, there will never be any background music, unless player 1 goes to an area whose music takes priority over the mines, or player 1 goes into the mines themselves.

With the 1.6 release coming up, I'm hoping this long time bug could finally be fixed! It's not a show stopper but it is unfortunate that music doesn't work properly with local multiplayer.