Asset Folder Empty, I followed the tutorial online and still get the issue

Grimrana

Newcomer
Log link: https://smapi.io/log/b88543b8b97d4c0593a1db6f9bda4271

[CP] Custom portraits is the mod I'm making

I have followed what the website and what the linked video below say, yet I keep running into the "folder empty" issue. Any ideas? if possible, can anyone here write an explanation on what I did wrong and how to avoid it in the future? For sull transparency, I am a COMPLETE newbie at this. Json files are attached.

Platform: Windows
Version. 1.5.6 Hotfix #3
Steps to reproduce: I followed this video as to what to do Create your OWN Stardew Valley mod - YouTube
Expected VS Actual Results: I tried to change the wizard portrait to the one I made myself, but his in-game portrait is still the same. I have previously tried to content patcher technique with custom penny and Pierre portraits, but that didn't work either because of the same problem.

Screenshots:
1680051062016.png

1680051092380.png

1680051199646.png

Attachments

Log link: https://smapi.io/log/b88543b8b97d4c0593a1db6f9bda4271

[CP] Custom portraits is the mod I'm making

I have followed what the website and what the linked video below say, yet I keep running into the "folder empty" issue. Any ideas? if possible, can anyone here write an explanation on what I did wrong and how to avoid it in the future? For sull transparency, I am a COMPLETE newbie at this. Json files are attached.

Platform: Windows
Version. 1.5.6 Hotfix #3
Steps to reproduce: I followed this video as to what to do Create your OWN Stardew Valley mod - YouTube
Expected VS Actual Results: I tried to change the wizard portrait to the one I made myself, but his in-game portrait is still the same. I have previously tried to content patcher technique with custom penny and Pierre portraits, but that didn't work either because of the same problem.

Screenshots:
View attachment 15584
Hey, thanks for the log, files, and extra info; that really helps!

So, looking at the files you uploaded, and the 3rd screenshot.
The first issue is that SMAPI thinks the mod is empty, because it's looking for JSON files.

If we look at the type, and the files you uploaded. They have a ".txt" suffix; meaning they're text files.
Not really your fault; Windows has a bad habit of hiding file extensions by default. But, you can see in the screenshot; it says "Text Document" under the "Type" category.

This may help; though it says it's for 7, 8, and 10:
---

After fixing them so they're proper json files. You'll need to fix your manifest file.
There's a JSON validator on the SMAPI site that can help with this:

Here's your manifest file parsed by the validator:

It shows us a few issues with data you entered.

And, here's a link to my Tea mod manifest file:

If we see in my manifest; everything on the left in the manifest file are the field titles. And, everything on the right is what you edit, and input.

So, as it mentions on Line2 in the validator link for your manifest file; "Grimrana" is incorrect. That should say, "Name"
While, "Grimrana" should be further down in the "Your Name" section of Line3.

And, then same thing with Line6, "Frogportrait" => "UniqueID"; then come up with a unique id on the right side.
As an example; you could do:
"YourName.YourModName" => "Grimrana.CustomPortraits"

Grimrana

Newcomer
Hey, thanks for the log, files, and extra info; that really helps!

So, looking at the files you uploaded, and the 3rd screenshot.
The first issue is that SMAPI thinks the mod is empty, because it's looking for JSON files.

If we look at the type, and the files you uploaded. They have a ".txt" suffix; meaning they're text files.
Not really your fault; Windows has a bad habit of hiding file extensions by default. But, you can see in the screenshot; it says "Text Document" under the "Type" category.

This may help; though it says it's for 7, 8, and 10:
---

After fixing them so they're proper json files. You'll need to fix your manifest file.
There's a JSON validator on the SMAPI site that can help with this:

Here's your manifest file parsed by the validator:

It shows us a few issues with data you entered.

And, here's a link to my Tea mod manifest file:

If we see in my manifest; everything on the left in the manifest file are the field titles. And, everything on the right is what you edit, and input.

So, as it mentions on Line2 in the validator link for your manifest file; "Grimrana" is incorrect. That should say, "Name"
While, "Grimrana" should be further down in the "Your Name" section of Line3.

And, then same thing with Line6, "Frogportrait" => "UniqueID"; then come up with a unique id on the right side.
As an example; you could do:
"YourName.YourModName" => "Grimrana.CustomPortraits"
Thank you for such a quick response! If I’m reading this right, all I did wrong with the files is that they’re a text file rather than a JSON? Of course, I need to change the names too (like you said) but all in all I have the idea down?

Do you know how to convert txt to json? If so, I would be very grateful if you could tell me. I’m currently unable to access my files at this time, so hopefully I’ll be able to study it a bit more before I start.

Also can I just copy and paste this all for all portraits? So I have my custom portraits mod, then a folderfor the wizard portrait in there with the json, copy and paste the jsons to different folders (penny custom portrait, Pierre custom portrait, etc)only editing what I need to edit and adding in the assets?

Thank you for such a quick response! If I’m reading this right, all I did wrong with the files is that they’re a text file rather than a JSON? Of course, I need to change the names too (like you said) but all in all I have the idea down?

Do you know how to convert txt to json? If so, I would be very grateful if you could tell me. I’m currently unable to access my files at this time, so hopefully I’ll be able to study it a bit more before I start.

Also can I just copy and paste this all for all portraits? So I have my custom portraits mod, then a folderfor the wizard portrait in there with the json, copy and paste the jsons to different folders (penny custom portrait, Pierre custom portrait, etc)only editing what I need to edit and adding in the assets?
Yea, you can just rename them. But, like I said you may need to set Windows to show file extensions.
Basically, as long as you remove the ".txt" suffix; they'll be updated to be visible to SMAPI.

Copy/Pasting this for all portraits? If it's all supposed to be one mod; you can just add the changes to the current "content.json" file.
And, have all the folders under "assets".

Example edit to your 'content.json' if you wamted other changes:
Code:
{
    "Format": "1.28.0",
    "Changes": [
        {
         "Action": "EditImage",
         "Target": "Portraits/Wizard",
         "FromFile": "assets/Wizard/Wizardcustom.png"
      },
        {
         "Action": "EditImage",
         "Target": "Portraits/Penny",
         "FromFile": "assets/Penny/Pennycustom.png"
      },
   ]
}
The "FromFile" location would be the key part; besides copying the sections from curly bracket to curly bracket.
These modified locations; are supposing you made "Wizard", and "Penny" sub-folders in the 'assets' folder.
Then put the images there.
You don't need any specific jsons in there since all your edits would be here in the main content file.