Creator Response Are animals not very useful or am I playing the game wrong?

ForteGX

Newcomer
I've played dozens of rounds now and I've been fairly successful, but I never really found a use for animals and their products. I usually only get animals as a means to fulfil grandpa's letters and maybe a bundle if I don't end up rerolling it. The investment in both time and money never seems worth it at early, mid, or endgame. I am also usually short on hearts, so petting animals also seems not worth it. I guess they can be a source of gifts, but every other source seems more efficient. Am I missing something?

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
I would say animals are primarily intended to get certain resources to complete goals. They are sort of "difficult end-game" things, not really intended to be used as an early game components of your engine. That may change in soem cases where you get certain skills or upgrades, but that is how I see them in the board game.

kailomonkey

Tiller
Yes it would be nice to at least get a free animal roll between season cards. Collecting product as an action that can fail completely is not great when you're always under pressure! At least in solo.

ethan1213

Greenhorn
We play it as a happy animal still produces regular quality products even if you miss their icon when rolling. Does that sound too overpowered? It feels about right I think