1.6 Update Anyone changing back to 1.5?

stardew_luv

Sodbuster
Now that I’ve experienced 1.6 fully, I’m reverting back to mobile 1.5. I’m one of the few I’m sure, but it just has so many new tasks and achievements it’s overwhelming. I think the only things I’ll miss are Calico Desert festival, Iridium scythe, waterfalls, green rain day and multiple pets. Even the bigger house I originally loved is overwhelmingly large now. None of these are game changers for me. Even with accessibility features, mobile is just plain easiest with my disabilities. Maybe when it comes to mobile probably next year with the way console is rolling out, I’ll enjoy things better, but for now it’s more work than fun.

ETA: Also one thing I’ll never get over in 1.6 is how grandpas personality changed. He went from a sweet lovable character to this overbearing testing your abilities grandpa. The mastery cave hides his best tools that he could have left you with as most grandfathers would have, but no. You had to prove yourself worthy of them by using his crappy junky ones that wouldn’t even cut out all of the overgrowth his farm had. So you had to earn money from practically nothing to upgrade them with your money to functional tools. Then get all of your various skills maxed out which most have nothing to do with farming. THEN you could discover his secret hideout that wasn’t there before somehow. THEN prove yourself, yet AGAIN by mastering out the 5 skills yet AGAIN. THEN, and only THEN, were you were worthy of these things he could have just given you if he was so wanting you to be a farmer like him. He somehow turned into another Mr Qi and one Mr Qi is enough for any fantasy world.

So, has anyone else reverted back to 1.5 and why?

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
I definitely understand if the mobile version is simply easier to play, and like you say, eventually the mobile version will get the 1.6 update and you can play it on your preferred platform.
Even the bigger house I originally loved is overwhelmingly large now.
I believe any house renovations you make after the main upgrades can be undone, if you decide you would like a smaller house. I personally purchased a few of the renovations, but I would also have a tough time filling the space if I had all of them unlocked. I know some people really like to focus on decorating their farmhouse and will take as much space as they can get.

As for Grandpa as a character, his main appearance in the past has been to judge your progress in the game at a certain point and give a reward if you've made it far enough. I guess personally I don't see the update as significantly changing his character.

stardew_luv

Sodbuster
I definitely understand if the mobile version is simply easier to play, and like you say, eventually the mobile version will get the 1.6 update and you can play it on your preferred platform.

I believe any house renovations you make after the main upgrades can be undone, if you decide you would like a smaller house. I personally purchased a few of the renovations, but I would also have a tough time filling the space if I had all of them unlocked. I know some people really like to focus on decorating their farmhouse and will take as much space as they can get.

As for Grandpa as a character, his main appearance in the past has been to judge your progress in the game at a certain point and give a reward if you've made it far enough. I guess personally I don't see the update as significantly changing his character.
Thanks. Yes I know I have downgraded it for sure. I didn’t mean to upset any devs on the changes, many of them are lovely. It’s just grandpa used to have a softer tone to me. Even if you don’t make a 4 candle evaluation he still says you’re doing alright. I shouldn’t have to prove myself to a person who loves me, just to earn his respect and most beloved treasures.. Wouldn’t my initial evaluation by him have been enough? But proving myself even further? That’s not true familial love. It just rubs me wrong. But it truly is not my desire to put anyone’s hard work down, this truly seems more like something Mr Qi would ask of you not grandpa.

Odin

Staff member
I didn’t mean to upset any devs on the changes
I can't speak for anyone that's worked on Stardew Valley, but I don't think anyone of them are opposed to people sharing their thoughts on any aspects of the game. In fact, it's often people sharing what they don't like or what they feel didn't quite work that can inform future updates. I think that's part of why game developers update a game, is that they want to improve it, and no game is ever perfect.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yeah I've been playing mostly 1.5 on PC and mobile, 1.6 doesn't bring too much stuff that impacts me right now, only a few things that are hindrances. Once my main file is fully ready for the port in 1.6 I'll swap on over but I haven't gathered the motivation to really go ahead and do it yet (nor the time!).

I am not sure how 1.6 will affect mobile features and bugs I use so I have turned updates off for my phone and won't update unless most of my essentials are still within the game.

stardew_luv

Sodbuster
Yeah I've been playing mostly 1.5 on PC and mobile, 1.6 doesn't bring too much stuff that impacts me right now, only a few things that are hindrances. Once my main file is fully ready for the port in 1.6 I'll swap on over but I haven't gathered the motivation to really go ahead and do it yet (nor the time!).

I am not sure how 1.6 will affect mobile features and bugs I use so I have turned updates off for my phone and won't update unless most of my essentials are still within the game.
This is what I have done. I’ve been testing out 1.6 on steam, but I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I’d be considering all the hype for a year. It’s really nice in some spots but 1.5 is smoother, easier play through. More like the original. I want to hang on to a copy of 1.5 too. Sometimes I really miss 1.4 and I can’t find a copy of that anywhere, that’s my favorite update. So I don’t want to let my 1.5 slip through too.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
This is what I have done. I’ve been testing out 1.6 on steam, but I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I’d be considering all the hype for a year. It’s really nice in some spots but 1.5 is smoother, easier play through. More like the original. I want to hang on to a copy of 1.5 too. Sometimes I really miss 1.4 and I can’t find a copy of that anywhere, that’s my favorite update. So I don’t want to let my 1.5 slip through too.
You can copy the game folder from steam/common and have it permanently, launch it whenever you want to play 1.5 (it'll never get automatically updated, deleted, etc. unless you do so yourself)

I can explain how to find and copy the folder if you want

stardew_luv

Sodbuster
You can copy the game folder from steam/common and have it permanently, launch it whenever you want to play 1.5 (it'll never get automatically updated, deleted, etc. unless you do so yourself)

I can explain how to find and copy the folder if you want
Thanks I might take you up on that if I loose it on mobile. 😊

xantres

Tiller
Hey there, I found a copy of PC version 1.4.5 on an old computer. Would you like a copy?

Only issue is that SMAPI and mod files are in the SDV folder too, and I am not sure which files belong to which program.

Odin

Staff member
Hey there, I found a copy of PC version 1.4.5 on an old computer. Would you like a copy?
While we can't allow sharing copies of the game on the forums, anyone that plays the game through Steam can switch back to 1.5.6 by right-clicking on Stardew in their library and selecting "Properties", then clicking on the "Betas" tab. And as discussed above, people can then made a second copy of the game on their computer if they want to move between 1.5.6 and the current version.

xantres

Tiller
While we can't allow sharing copies of the game on the forums, anyone that plays the game through Steam can switch back to 1.5.6 by right-clicking on Stardew in their library and selecting "Properties", then clicking on the "Betas" tab. And as discussed above, people can then made a second copy of the game on their computer if they want to move between 1.5.6 and the current version.
Whoops, sorry about that. Didn't mean to break the rules.

I wonder if it's possible to make a mod that simulates 1.4...

stardew_luv

Sodbuster

Only issue is that SMAPI and mod files are in the SDV folder too, and I am not sure which files belong to which program.
Thank you so much for your offer! But I read the reply of the moderator just now and I guess it isn’t possible. But I do appreciate your kindness. 😍

Phnxkon

Newcomer
My only issue with 1.6 is having to decide between harvesting moss and gathering wood since it only grows on older fully grown trees. I like the additions that allow for more variety of ways to play. Fish smokers and bait machines are huge for keeping it a bit more competative. The mushroom logs are pretty cool, though I wish it was clearer what was meant by 'wild trees' (non fruit trees apparently.) I also appreciate the updates to the skill perks at 5 and 10. For me it's a pretty strict upgrade from 1.5 because this game isn't competative so more options are better.