any help appreciated! <3

quinnb0b

Greenhorn
hello!
my name is quinn and i’ve recently become obsessed with SDV!
i was wondering if people could give me some tips on:
- the best way to get gold
- fishing tips (i’m very bad lol)
-getting good relationships with people
-anything else:)

thank you in advance!8)
Q xxx

MY FRIEND CODE ON SWITCH IS : SW - 5141 - 7055 - 2347

edit ~ thank you so much for all the amazing feedback !

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi quinnb0b and Welcome to the Forums!

My favorite early way to get g is to befriend Caroline to 2:heart:. A good gift is Daffodils you can Forage from around the map immediately in Spring. Then get the recipe she sends you in the mail after triggering that cutscene. It is cheap to craft (many of them) and sells for a ton of g, game-altering amounts.

For Fishing, buy the Training Rod from Willy and while Fishing you want to repeatedly tap to raise the green Fishing Bar, almost never hold it down for any length of time. Just quick, repeated taps. It was a royal pain on my first playthough but you'll find that once people "get" it, Fishing becomes easy and enjoyable.

Just talking every day (really, every day you happen to see them) to each person gets those relationships up slowly but consistently. Giving gifts, up to 2 a week is better, with Liked and Loved gifts progressing up the success ladder. As you find Lost Books and talk to people, these will divulge what each NPC likes and loves (and sometimes hates). I did cheat on this a bit to see on the Wiki what gifts each person likes BUT using the Wiki too much will dampen a lot of what makes that first playthrough of the game special. Use it as sparingly as possible or not at all. Spoilers for this game really steal from that first special experience and just about everyone who plays wishes above all else they could get that first time play experience back. You have that in front of you right now.

27dschild

Planter
What I found the best way to get gold is to farm large amounts of crops. Seriously. Just go ahead and do it. Spend all that money. I made the mistake of not farming a lot and year 2 tried it out and was shocked by the amounts of money I could get.

Elenna101

Farmer
What I found the best way to get gold is to farm large amounts of crops. Seriously. Just go ahead and do it. Spend all that money. I made the mistake of not farming a lot and year 2 tried it out and was shocked by the amounts of money I could get.
Also, put them into preserve jars and kegs - it's literally doubling/tripling your income, basically for free once you get the jars/kegs set up.

Learn to fish immediately, it will give you good money for whatever you want.

I hated fishing at the beginning, but when I understood the game it's very relaxing.
As Lew Zealand said, if you feel it's too hard, buy the training rod. It will give you
no quality fishes, but you raise your level faster. At lvl 3 switch to the basic rod.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Farming, which is after all the declared purpose of the game, is both the steadiest and most reliable money maker, and the one that has balanced early and late rewards.

Fishing is good early money but it doesn't really scale up in late game.

Forage is free cash early on but -- except for berry seasons -- it's better to just look around on your way to your main plan for the day. Forage other than berries in season resets between Saturday and Sunday so Saturday has the most stuff if you do want to look. It's almost pointless cash-wise midgame and late game.

Mining is the opposite. Early on it gives you needed supplies but little cash return; later, if you get really into it like the dedicated Skull Cavern divers, it can be massive money.

Farm animals are steady but slow income except for pigs, which are steady but high income... and by the time you get to pigs you've sunk a lot of money into animals. Do not count on them in early game.

Crafting and cooking boosts your money over selling the raw crops/material (in the case of the crafted item Lew talks about, almost too much so) but requires stuff, and knowledge, you may not have early on, and balances out with the things you want to make and keep for yourself.

Early in the game, I make slow but steady income farming, foraging, and fishing. I repair the bridge on the beach to get the coral and urchins. I check for spring onions each day. I grow my wild seeds. I try to get carp at the mountain lake. And I try to get a couple chickens and start producing mayo.

Fishing is tricky but gets easier as you level up. Even if you catch trash, you level up. Any food with a fishing buff can help, like Willy's trout soup.

To develop friendships, you can talk to villagers daily and give each villager 2 gifts a week. Early in the game, gifting can cut into your resources a lot. Loved gifts of high quality earn friendship points very quickly.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Learn to fish immediately, it will give you good money for whatever you want.

I hated fishing at the beginning, but when I understood the game it's very relaxing.
As Lew Zealand said, if you feel it's too hard, buy the training rod. It will give you
no quality fishes, but you raise your level faster. At lvl 3 switch to the basic rod.
You can even switch later on as the training rod simulates having the bar size of a player with level 5 fishing.

qaija

Sodbuster
I always concentrate of farming in the beginning of a game. Grow parsnips. Put every gold you get into buying more parsnips and planting them. Every time you harvest a crop you get farming experience, so don't plant other crops which cost more for seed and take longer to grow. By the time summer arrives you will have enough gold to buy melons. Plant all the melons you can buy and water. The melons give you a large amount of energy which you can use for all your tasks. I don't do any fishing until winter. Once I have melons I concentrate on mining and getting down to the bottom so I can get the skull caverns key. But always make raising your farming skill your main task. My farming skill is always 10 at the end of the first year which maximizes the amount of gold I can make.

qaija

Sodbuster
Let me clarify. You will get plain, silver, and gold melons. Sell the plain and silver ones to fund your seeds. Use the gold ones to heal yourself in the mines. You want to get into skull caverns as soon as you can in order to get a prismatic shard as soon as you can so you can get a Galaxy sword.

qaija

Sodbuster
Okay, one other thing worthwhile you may not know...... (the interdependency of this game is amazing). When you first enter the mines, killing anything with the rusty sword you start out with is a royal pita. Once you can join the Adventurer's Guild (not sure what the requirement is to join but I think it is when you reach some level in the mine) you can buy a wooden blade which is a lot better than the rusty sword. I avoid mobs until I get the wooden sword. As your mining skill increases, the weapons available get better, so check what the Adventurer's Guild has for sale as you level up your mining skill.

imnvs

Local Legend
You join the adventurer's guild by killing a certain number of slimes.

You can also get better weapons by simply descending the mines. Every 10 levels (except on certain ones) you get a sweet new piece of gear.

Also, what unlocks new gear at the Adventurer's Guild is getting deeper in the mines, not getting a higher Mining skill.