Switch Animal gives birth overnight and game freezes on "Name your new...." screen

berrygal38

Newcomer
Second time this has happened to me so far. I complete the day, go to sleep, and get the notification that one of my animals has given birth during the night and am taken to the screen to give the new animal a name with the pre-selected name already populated. There is no cursor visible and no action I can take. I can't "OK" out of the screen but I can pause back to the Nintendo home screen. I can still hear the music in the background too. This happened once with a sheep, once with a pig. The barn is nowhere near at capacity and I can't figure out what the issue is. The only way out of it has been to reboot and play the whole day over again. I could turn off pregnancy, but would ideally just love to know what the issue is.

Last edited:

valuemeal2

Greenhorn
Second time this has happened to me so far. I complete the day, go to sleep, and get the notification that one of my animals has given birth during the night and am taken to the screen to give the new animal a name with the pre-selected name already populated. There is no cursor visible and no action I can take. I can't "OK" out of the screen but I can pause back to the Nintendo home screen. I can still hear the music in the background too. This happened once with a sheep, once with a pig. The barn is nowhere near at capacity and I can't figure out what the issue is. The only way out of it has been to reboot and play the whole day over again. I could turn off pregnancy, but would ideally just love to know what the issue is.
I know how to fix this! This happened to me just last night and it was so infuriating. It turns out that the game wasn't frozen, but the cursor was invisible. My spouse fixed it by using a technique he knew by watching speedrunners do games blindfolded. Here's his description:

"Hold the joystick to the top left (to get the cursor in the corner), then gently tilt it to the right for a few seconds, then diagonally down right for a few seconds, tapping A the entire time."

It took a while of trial and error, but we were able to finally land on "ok", which made the game save and the cursor come back as usual. We knew we were close when we saw the name change box come up, or we hit the dice and the randomizer happened. But yeah, it turned out the issue was an invisible cursor and we had to blindly fumble around until we managed to hit "ok", which fixed the problem. Good luck!

berrygal38

Newcomer
Thank you so much! I'd turned off pregnancy on all my animals, but I'll turn it back on and see if I can give this a try next time!