Animal Friendship Decay

Alysha

Farmhand
I have lots of animals on my farm(cows, chickens, ect), and I spend waaaaay too much time petting them. I know once you reach max friendship with an NPC you can stop talking to them and giving them gifts and the friendship won't decay. Is this true for animals too? Is this also true for your pets?

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Pets heart decrease after a long time. I wanted simple milk for tailoring and didn't want to buy new cow/goat, so i tried to ignore them. The quality of products fell noticably and post 1,5 to 2 seasons, 5 hearts became 4,5.

You can lose animal friendship, it just takes a long time and is not readily noticable.

I have lots of animals on my farm(cows, chickens, ect), and I spend waaaaay too much time petting them. I know once you reach max friendship with an NPC you can stop talking to them and giving them gifts and the friendship won't decay. Is this true for animals too? Is this also true for your pets?
No, I had full hearts with my chicken and then disappeared

Lew Zealand

Helper
After reaching 5 :heart: I've been petting my animals every other day on average but I've missed 2 days in a row here 'n there and one of the cows will deliver a regular Milk on occasion though they're all still at 5 :heart:. Petting every other day seems to be good enough but don't get too used to it and accidentally forget for many days. Which I only rarely do more than once a week.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
After reaching 5 :heart: I've been petting my animals every other day on average but I've missed 2 days in a row here 'n there and one of the cows will deliver a regular Milk on occasion though they're all still at 5 :heart:. Petting every other day seems to be good enough but don't get too used to it and accidentally forget for many days. Which I only rarely do more than once a week.
Once your animals are max friendship you can go multiple days without petting. Petting doesn’t just give friendship though, it also gives mood (mood doesn’t really go down though except when starving, etc. so it’s not the biggest worry)

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
I like that pattern, i use it from time to time as well! But for a different reason; processing animal products takes some time, which is too valuable to waste there, when there are other tasks requiring your full attention/care! One day i fully ignore all animals, the other day i tend to their goods of two days load, pet etc.

By the way, if you aren't on Joja run everyone, it is generally a good idea to go Skull Cavern with full luck and loads of staircases. There, autopetters can drop!