[Android] Option to change the save game location.

weedeater

Cowpoke
Hi, this is a simple suggestion specifically regarding the Android Port of Stardew Valley and its handling of savegames. Right now the game saves both its savegames and screenshots to the Android/data/com.chucklefish.stardewvalley/files/ location. For phones that run Android 10 or older there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as the Android/data/ can easily be accessed by all other Apps on the System (given that you granted them the permission to do so).

The Problem however starts with Android 11. With Android 11 the Android/data/ has been made inaccessible for all Apps - even the phone manufacturer's preloaded file explorer, unless they use some janky workaround using the phone's hidden built in file selector. This makes it unnecessarily complicated to backup saves to a PC or SD Card. Furthermore it means that you can't use any app that automatically syncs or backups saves. I previously on my old Android 9 Tablet have been using Syncthing to automatically synchronized save games between my Tablet and PC, which was extremely convenient.

My suggestion therefore would be to simply add an option somewhere that allows the user to change the location of the save games to anywhere else on the device, as well as an option to reset the to Android/data/com.chucklefish.stardewvalley/files/. This of course will require the user to grant the Stardew Valley App the necessary permissions.

If this could be implemented in a future update I would be extremely grateful!

Last edited: