An interesting discussion on retro games (that even mentions SDV)

imnvs

Local Legend
So, I came across an interesting article on Cracked, and it referenced SDV specifically by name but the entire genre of retro games. I figured some folks here might be interested to see what was said, and possibly discuss what is said there...

Link: Fact: Retro Games Really Did Look Better Back In The Day

...specifically that retro games didn't actually look like SDV does back when they those games were being played because of how CRT monitors work. What would it be like to play SDV on an old CRT monitor, do you think? Anyone have an old CRT and want to get an image maybe?

Lew Zealand

Helper
So:

When you blow up pixel-based game images to 16 times their size...

They look blocky.

When you blow up CRT video captures to 16 times their size...

They look soft.

Sheer amazement. Shame they didn't blow up the flickery headache-inducing CRT frame refresh.

hexnessie

Farmer
It explains something about ME, for sure - see, I don't have such a great eyesight anymore, and things actually look more blurry now on a Full HD monitor than they did back when the world was young, on tiny 13-inch VGA CRT display...

The examples they gave in the article actually looked better in the "new", supposedly pixelated versions, because my eyes and brain just blurs and unpixelate it all anyway, and nowaydays the contrast and colors are MUCH better.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Don't have time to read the article at this moment, but a game that kinda tries to emulate this is VA-11 Hall-A (or Valhalla for short). In the game there is an option to toggle scanlines, and quite honestly, myself and many others that i've talked to prefer to play with the scanlines on. I'll post pictures when I can to demonstrate. (also dorothy best girl fite me)

FairyRing

Farmer
It explains something about ME, for sure - see, I don't have such a great eyesight anymore, and things actually look more blurry now on a Full HD monitor than they did back when the world was young, on tiny 13-inch VGA CRT display...

The examples they gave in the article actually looked better in the "new", supposedly pixelated versions, because my eyes and brain just blurs and unpixelate it all anyway, and nowaydays the contrast and colors are MUCH better.
I blur things too! I need glasses but am resistant. So watching cartoons means I can blur and won't miss a lot of detail.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Don't have time to read the article at this moment, but a game that kinda tries to emulate this is VA-11 Hall-A (or Valhalla for short). In the game there is an option to toggle scanlines, and quite honestly, myself and many others that i've talked to prefer to play with the scanlines on. I'll post pictures when I can to demonstrate. (also dorothy best girl fite me)
Wow, 97% overall positive reviews for VA-11 Hall-A. That's very top-tier stuff, I should check it out. Now about those 220 other games in GOG I haven't played yet...

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I love both retro and old games, I play moderm more often but retro games have this place of significance that I respect, it's like loving something without appreciating what got you there, there are steps and rungs to a goal and sometimes that extend indefinitely and revisiting and optimizing those older rungs and steps are what sometimes sparks life into old and new games through ideas and stimulation.