Always something new

imnvs

Local Legend
You know what I just discovered minutes ago? Animals don't really leave the barn/coop until you go outside. All my barn doors were open but I didn't go out until about 3:30 because I was tending to my casks and they were all just coming out of the barns.
This is one reason I don't spend time in my barns/coops more than I have to. That's why I don't put a bunch of kegs/jars/chests in there. At most there is the heater, autograbber, autopetter and 1 chest in 1 barn. They won't enter the barn/coop if you're in it when they should be entering, too, from what I've seen.

Another trick to do? Open the door to let them out before going in to take care of them and/or anything else inside. Then you just hold down the button to pet them as they all come streaming out, though some may linger inside a bit, so go ahead and do the same for your other barns/coops. Then come back to the first one to deal with stuff inside after the critters are all outside.

nicodeux

Farmer
I always thought that mine carts were simply decorative items. A few minutes ago, I accidentally searched in one for the first time and got several coals. One always discovers new things in Stardew Valley.

susb8383

Planter
Another trick to do? Open the door to let them out before going in to take care of them and/or anything else inside. Then you just hold down the button to pet them as they all come streaming out, though some may linger inside a bit, so go ahead and do the same for your other barns/coops. Then come back to the first one to deal with stuff inside after the critters are all outside.
I just leave the doors open all the time. They don't seem to mind it as far as I can tell. Then when I leave the house they're just starting to come out and I can pet most of them when they're in single file. I used to keep kegs in the barns but I moved all my kegs outside in a line. Actually I'm using my kegs as fences for my pigs. They don't degrade like fences do and they serve two purposes: keeping my animals in place and letting me put my starfruit into them. The absolute fastest way to process all my stuff is to run along a single line of kegs holding down the right mouse instead of maneuvering in corners of kegs. (Aside: I've noticed if I try to pick up the wine and put the starfruit in at the same time by running, it skips every 5th keg. So now I make two passes; one to run along and grab the wine and then one going back to put the starfruit in).

I only have processing things in my barn like mayo makers, cheese makers, and looms. I only go in the barns to take things from the auto grabber and process them.

imnvs

Local Legend
The absolute fastest way to process all my stuff is to run along a single line of kegs holding down the right mouse instead of maneuvering in corners of kegs. (Aside: I've noticed if I try to pick up the wine and put the starfruit in at the same time by running, it skips every 5th keg. So now I make two passes; one to run along and grab the wine and then one going back to put the starfruit in).
That's why I put kegs in sheds. Same for preserves jars. They are perfectly-sized for arranging them in rows instead of columns. You right-click off the map with your fruit/veg as the active item and it gets most of the ones above and below, filling most of the ones below as you run past. Hold down the direction key when you hit the end (if the end is 3 kegs like a full big shed could have) until all 3 of those kegs are full, and then when you go back the other way, on your way past, you should collect everything else and fill most of them. Just double check quick, but you won't miss many.

When going vertical, you need your mouse to go over each keg as you pass them or to be pushing both the up/down to move and the same direction the keg is in (almost as if it you were trying to move diagonally into the column of kegs, slowing you to a walk). Horizontal just works better. Oh, and with no lights, no nothing but kegs, you can get 137 of them processing in a big shed. I usually put a lamppost in each corner and a chest inside the door (to hold stuff for putting into the kegs/jars) reducing that to 132 per shed, which takes up a lot less space than that on the farm.

I use tea bushes, which are cheap and get you tea leaves, in place of fencing. Well, except at gates, a fencepost on each side and that's it for fences on my farms.

Salty1

Planter
I use tea bushes, which are cheap and get you tea leaves, in place of fencing. Well, except at gates, a fencepost on each side and that's it for fences on my farms.
Another entertaining alternative is to use garden pots in place of tea bushes. I like both, though, and flip between them depending on my goals.

susb8383

Planter
Here's something I just discovered yesterday! I never realized Krobus and the shadow brutes from the mine are the same species. Krobus is so cute I never made the connection before. But now I'm playing Stardew Valley Expanded and someone made the comment at the Spirit Eve Festival that they are the same.

Boo1972

Farmer
Today, for the first time I saw Emily and Sandy hanging out in the Desert. I didn’t even know Emily left the valley, except for visits to Ginger Island.

Elenna101

Farmer
Today, for the first time I saw Emily and Sandy hanging out in the Desert. I didn’t even know Emily left the valley, except for visits to Ginger Island.
Yeah, that's a new thing added in 1.5, now Emily visits Sandy on her birthday.

LRangerR

Local Legend
i learned that you can put hay back into the feeder if you don't need it lol
like without leaving the farm building lol
Lmao, after all this time and that is the thing you learn? xD

Honestly, there's really not any reason to close the barn doors game-wise. In Harvest Moon there was a reason to close the coop/barn doors, but in SDV there is 0 incentive to close the animal doors. Nothing negative happens if you leave them open.

imnvs

Local Legend
Honestly, there's really not any reason to close the barn doors game-wise. In Harvest Moon there was a reason to close the coop/barn doors, but in SDV there is 0 incentive to close the animal doors. Nothing negative happens if you leave them open.
All it does is make it easier to pet them in the morning because they're not wandering all over the pasture area by the time you get to them.

LRangerR

Local Legend
All it does is make it easier to pet them in the morning because they're not wandering all over the pasture area by the time you get to them.
True, but in Harvest Moon, not closing the barn doors and the next day's weather were linked. Meaning that if it was gonna rain tomorrow, your cows would get rained on and their milk production wouldn't be as good, etc.

True, but in Harvest Moon, not closing the barn doors and the next day's weather were linked. Meaning that if it was gonna rain tomorrow, your cows would get rained on and their milk production wouldn't be as good, etc.
Isn't that also true here? From the wiki, for every 10 minutes they're outside if it's raining, it's -4 to -8 mood. As such I always close the doors at night if and only if it's going to rain the next day. Is there something I'm missing?

Ereo

Helper
Isn't that also true here? From the wiki, for every 10 minutes they're outside if it's raining, it's -4 to -8 mood. As such I always close the doors at night if and only if it's going to rain the next day. Is there something I'm missing?
They don't go outside if it's raining.

If you put them outside on a sunny day, then close the barn doors, and the next day it rains, they will lose happiness.

Ereo

Helper
Yes, but just like the rain thing, is only a problem if you've closed the door (or any gate between animal and barn). Just always leaving the door open has no negative consequence (maybe making it harder to pet them as imnvs pointed out).

Ennoshima

Planter
I'm always learning new things myself -- whether by experiencing or doing a quick wiki search when I'm stuck and/or curious. :3
Stardew is absolutely amazing with all the little things added!