Allow more than two mini obelisks

Odin

Staff member
That would be handy! I didn't realize there was a limit as I hadn't tried to place more than two yet.

imnvs

Local Legend
How would you choose which one to teleport to if there is more than 1 besides the 1 you're teleporting from?

Reactions: Tom

tomaO2

Planter
How would you choose which one to teleport to if there is more than 1 besides the 1 you're teleporting from?
Okay, I thought about this question. Maybe there could be a way to colour them. I don't think you could do them like chests, because touching them activates them, but maybe you could do a dye job? Problem with that is that dye jobs tend to be on a wide spectrum, so it would be hard to match colours... Hmm.

Thought I had an answer here but I talked myself out of both potential solutions.

imnvs

Local Legend
Unless it functions off build time... mini1 teleports to mini2, mini2 to mini3 and mini3 to mini1. Build mini4, and now mini3 teleports to mini4, and mini4 to mini1?

tomaO2

Planter
You could certainly do it that way as well.

Maybe each one gets a name when you create them? Every two you create gets a new name.

Let's say , you put four mini obelisks a b c d and doing so establish two teleportation lines - a - b house 2 coop and barn and c - d house 2 fruit garden . After that you'll freely teleport between a -b , b - a , c -d , d - c , but never a - d or d - b . How to distinguish different teleportation lines ? One method is very obvious - each pair has different color or also obvious (not so beautiful though) way - put a sign near them .

AphroNem

Newcomer
I just thought about this right now. Could just name them all by section of your farm, for ex. "Animals, Greenhouse, Cave, Pond, etc." When you teleport from either one, a pop up screen appears and you select which one specifically you wanna go to. So if I am at my house, and i wanna go to the pond, i just select pond. Then if i wanna go to the farm, i select farm, vice versa, and so on. Exactly like how the minecart works

imnvs

Local Legend
I just thought about this right now. Could just name them all by section of your farm, for ex. "Animals, Greenhouse, Cave, Pond, etc." When you teleport from either one, a pop up screen appears and you select which one specifically you wanna go to. So if I am at my house, and i wanna go to the pond, i just select pond. Then if i wanna go to the farm, i select farm, vice versa, and so on. Exactly like how the minecart works
That would require a lot more logic than any of the other suggestions so far. Not sure I'd support that one over the others, just because of the amount of coding that would be required (as far as I understand, of course).

Lew Zealand

Helper
Since the Minecarts work using the same logic, it's possible that code could be reused. And it's even flexible enough not to give you access to the Quarry until the Bridge has been repaired, so it seems to have some sort of extensible code which could be adapted to the Mini Obelisks.

Maybe you always get a pair and each pair in different colors. So it would be always a one-to-one teleport.

Since the Minecarts work using the same logic, it's possible that code could be reused. And it's even flexible enough not to give you access to the Quarry until the Bridge has been repaired, so it seems to have some sort of extensible code which could be adapted to the Mini Obelisks.
Slightly OT: I would really like to see the minecart-/lorry-system enhanced as well. Maybe a new entrance near the wizards tower or in the bug liar?
This could be another community upgrade.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Perhaps something akin to the way minecarts work in the already existing game.
I don't extensively code and especially not on this level but CA could very well reuse code if he wanted to implement this but I feel like something like this would need a hard stop maximum, perhaps 4 and you coud only place 1 per quadrant of your farm and in the ui they were labeled by that such as "northwest" or something similar.
@Lew Zealand sorry for copying your post a bit

Lerura

Farmhand
A way that might work is if the obelisks pair up as you place them so that the first two obelisks pair up, then the next two and so on. If you then pick up one of them its partner will now be unpaired and the next placed obelisk would simply restore that pair. Each obelisk could then be assigned a name on placement and its partner could display this name when hovering it.
Renaming an obelisk would also be possible as you could e.g. hold ctrl when interacting with an obelisk to go into renaming mode.

The minecart way where all placed obelisks form a single network would also be possible this way, and if you have more than two obelisks placed you would be asked which of the other obelisk you want to teleport to.

apriljam07

Newcomer
🤔 I think the question is being over thought about a bit. After all there are three tall obelisks in the desert... So to tie in multiple obelisks Once you put three on the farm I think there should be a little animated whirlpool graphic Then the wizard appears looks around a bit. Does a little jump to each obvious, comes back after thinking and explains that their mana chains have all tied together and now each time you use one on the farm it will jump to the next one in a clockwise pattern. As a little hidden bonus. After you put five on your farm perhaps you could have a giant vortex animation and then have it connect to the deserts three obelisk area. 🤔

I think this would be pretty cool as well as useful 👍

noobsqoou

Planter
Ngl I always seem to be running into situations where I wish I had a second pair of obelisks.

I think being able to "tune" them using color-coding would be perfect.

Quirinea

Farmer
There has been a mod that does exactly that. I don't remember if it's updated to 1.6. yet.