Alcohol consumption in cutscenes

Planter
Hello people, hope you're enjoying happy days in the valley :smile:

I do not know how often it has been discussed before, but the forced consumption of alcohol in two in-game heart events is... not the best choice at best (and frankly disrespectful at worst). Apart from using mods (which not everyone likes or knows how to use), the only way around this problem AFAIK is to skip the cutscene entirely, but, again, a first-time player will not know that, and will end up with their character inebriated whether they like it or not. Even worse considering players may have a variety of resons to refuse the forced consumption (teetotalism in my case, but it could also be not wanting to encourage this behaviour, not wanting to drink at that particular time of day, not wanting the speed debuff afterwards, you name it).

Since all other instances of alcoholic products do not have to result in consumption (I'd rather Pam not gift me beer, but I can always just sell or gift it), the two aforementioned cutscenes seem a bit out of place and force character traits in a game where making your own identity is the entire point. My solution to that but be to simply tweak the cutscenes a bit, by giving the player a choice to accept the drink or not. Accepting the drink would result in the cutscene proceeding as normal, refusing would simply have the character acknowledging our choice (by saying something as "you're being more reasonable than me", "maybe I should take example on you" or "pardon me, I should have known that ordering for other people is impolite"). I mean, even in the cutscenes itself the inebriation in pointless anyway, so why was it implemented anyways?

My two cents. Have fun now fellow farmers :wchick:

Draconifors

Farmhand
That's a thing? Which heart events are they? I'd like to know in case I get them one day; I wasn't planning to ever use alcoholic beverages in the game, simply because I dislike debuffs, particularly speed ones.

Being forced to consume alcohol just because you've become friends with someone is definitely a really questionable idea, especially in a game that's only rated PEGI 12.

Lew Zealand

Helper
This has been brought up but not recently that I can remember. Shane's early :heart: events feature alcohol up front and Elliott's also do though it's just him with the wine IIRC. IMO it's reasonable to have a no-alcohol option for those who would like to avoid it, it could be with the advanced game settings like Remixed Bundles. I don't remember if you can refuse the offer in Shane's 2 :heart: event but as I've always ended up drinking like with that accursed Wizard, I assume not. There should be an option to refuse (if there's not one already) as that shouldn't affect Shane's character arc.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
This has been brought up but not recently that I can remember. Shane's early :heart: events feature alcohol up front and Elliott's also do though it's just him with the wine IIRC. IMO it's reasonable to have a no-alcohol option for those who would like to avoid it, it could be with the advanced game settings like Remixed Bundles. I don't remember if you can refuse the offer in Shane's 2 :heart: event but as I've always ended up drinking like with that accursed Wizard, I assume not. There should be an option to refuse (if there's not one already) as that shouldn't affect Shane's character arc.
That also runs into the same issues with new players that anything behind remixed settings has, they just won't know about it and then experience what the original poster was saying.

"Bartender! Bring me your finest ale! Ah, and please give out a glass of sparkling, vanilla flavoured caffeine-free Joja Cola with a hint of cherry the lady!" :joja:

Hehe. Jokes aside, I agree it'd be nice to have options in those cutscenes to refuse the alcohol. Yes, it's just two cutscenes, but it's still two cutscenes where our farmers go completely out of character for some of us, and it can feel weird. More options like this would be good! :music:

stardew_luv

Sodbuster
Yeah, as one who used to enjoy wine in moderation before I needed to take a bunch of meds, doesn’t mean everyone wants to at any age. But as another pointed out I’ve seen this game usually rated 12+ but also seen it as young as 10+. I don’t think encouraging teen and tween drinking is a wise choice. I’d also agree that the “mayors shorts” might need to be removed for same reasons. While most kids have at least some knowledge of the birds and bees by 10-12, it doesn’t mean they all do and all to the same extent. It should be an option parents can turn off if they feel the need. Also probably the Shane’s suicide attempt cutscene and his being drunk and flat on the ground in his bedroom might be good to turn off for some. I know I’d like the option if I were a parent (or struggling alcoholic or Depressed and having struggled with suicide) might want to have the option of disabling those. They at least have a warning in fine print about why some content may not be age appropriate, there’s a bunch of things they could enjoy if only they could turn off those few things. Just saying.