Aged Wine

qwerty

Farmhand
I have my business booming with several sheds filled with kegs but when it comes to the cellar, I don't want to wait two whole seasons just for some iridium quality aged wine.

Would you get more profit for selling two batches of gold quality wine of one batch or iridium quality?

Does the profit depend on what fruit I put in the keg then cask and if so what is the best fruit?

Last edited:

nicodeux

Farmer
Regarding your first question, if I trust my maths, the profitability of putting wine in cask is linear with time. This means that once you've put wine in cask, there is no optimal time in which to remove it in order to maximise profitability.

The advantage of waiting until iridium quality is that you are making money without having to manage the casks (emptying/filling again). But if you decide to remove gold or even silver quality wine from casks and put basic wine in it instead, you will not loose money. Only time.

I tend to fill my cellar, wait until whatever I put in it reach iridium quality and any production that comes in the meantime is sold. I only try to optimise production so I have a new batch ready a the time the one in the cellar reaches iridium quality (because I like to avoid stocks).

As for your second question, the higher the base price of the fruit is, the higher the profit of aged wine is. Basically, starfruit and ancient fruit are easily your best options. Else, you can try melon, pineapple, peach or pomegranate but with lower profitability than putting cheese into the casks.

hexnessie

Farmer
Does the profit depend on what fruit I put in the keg then cask and if so what is the best fruit?
Yes. The only types of wine that make sense to put in the cellar are Starfruit and Ancient Fruit.

Other than that, you are much better off just running cheese through the cellar - it ages much faster and the profits are just as good as wine.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, the math says that you absolutely should wait for iridium quality. 2 weeks adds 25%, another 2 weeks adds another 25% and another 4 weeks adds another 2 25%s or 50%. This is a linear progression. All you're doing by pulling the wine when it turns gold is doubling the amount of work you're doing to get the same amount of profit. That is assuming you pull them exactly on the day they turn gold, because if you pull them a day or so later, now you're losing profit compared to letting them go iridium.

This holds true for every product you can age in the casks.

Also, as hexnessie pointed out, if you're not aging starfruit or ancient fruit wine, you're better off aging goat cheese than aging any other wine. The top 10 things to age based on profit:
1: starfruit wine
2: ancient fruit wine
3: goat cheese
4: cheese
5: pineapple wine
6: melon wine
7: rhubarb wine
8: pale ale
9 & 10: banana & crystal fruit wine (tied)

Also keep in mind you don't *have* to fill your basement with casks. The profitability can be found under Gold/day on here, as indicated it's linear, as long as you don't pull something out halfway between say silver and gold, you're always earning this many gold each day by leaving it in. Starfruit Wine is on top at 56G/day.

However I personally always just keep the casks you're gifted (they're free, why not, and that way I can get some Iridium Quality Wine for stuff like the Luau and the Grange Festival) and otherwise fill my basement with Crystalariums, which cap out at 150G/day (120G/day for the Jade and Rubies I have them pumping out)

It's more than twice as profitable, and I'm getting that profit every 2-3 days rather than waiting half a year for it. If you're not interested in that long of a delay on your profits something similar might suit you. Otherwise if you're set on Casks, imnvs and hexnessie have the right of it, cheese is the option to go for if you want to use casks but don't want to wait half a year.

imnvs

Local Legend
However I personally always just keep the casks you're gifted (they're free, why not, and that way I can get some Iridium Quality Wine for stuff like the Luau and the Grange Festival) and otherwise fill my basement with Crystalariums, which cap out at 150G/day (120G/day for the Jade and Rubies I have them pumping out)
...but you can easily fit ~135 crystalariums in a big shed... and you can make multiples of them. Because I put lights in the corners I get 133 crystalariums in each shed, and in my current save I have one shed with jade and one with diamonds. Why not use the cellar for the one thing that can only be done there while also doing crystalariums elsewhere? Additionally, why make it so you have to go into the cellar more often than once every 2 seasons?

...but you can easily fit ~135 crystalariums in a big shed... and you can make multiples of them. Because I put lights in the corners I get 133 crystalariums in each shed, and in my current save I have one shed with jade and one with diamonds. Why not use the cellar for the one thing that can only be done there while also doing crystalariums elsewhere? Additionally, why make it so you have to go into the cellar more often than once every 2 seasons?
All of the spaces for sheds I want to allocate on my farm are filled with Kegs and Preserves Jars, which get 240 G/day, or double that which a Crystalarium would provide. That and a giant aquarium, it's not all about profit :proud: Personally I just don't think that one thing is worth doing is all. As far as making it so you have to go into the cellar more than once every 2 seasons, it's one of the closest possible locations on the farm, compared to say the Bus Tunnel it's far preferable as a frequent spot to visit. That and the OP specifically indicated waiting around for half a year is undesirable so apparently they're looking to swing in there more often. Nothing wrong with choosing to cask it up of course, I was just pointing out that it's not mandatory, there are other options.

Last edited:

hexnessie

Farmer
Because I put lights in the corners I get 133 crystalariums in each shed
Just for the aesthetics, or is there any specific reason to put the corner lights?

(I mostly use torches on walkable parts of the floor, because I like stealing torches from the mines so Marlon has to put them back in)

Hill Myna

Farmer
I like using the Cellar because of the Big Numbers I get when it's done! Plus, it's fun guessing when my cellar is ready because I always forget when I put them in.

I just fill my cellar with whatever Wine I have when I check it, and fill in the rest with Cheese, for a rainy day. But I save the top row (in between the pillars) for Goat's Cheese, because I only ever have one or two Goats and I find that eight casks is enough to keep up. And it helps me remember I even have a Cellar if I have to come in every two weeks!

Just for aesthetics, or is there any specific reason to put corner lights?

(I mostly use torches on walkable parts of the floor, because I like stealing torches from the mines so Marlon has to put them back in)
That's a good idea! As far as lamps go, their light is a bit less harsh than Torches, and it spreads over a bigger area. Personally, my farmers have lived in darkness for so long, that they can adjust their eyes in a flash!

and that way I can get some Iridium Quality Wine for stuff like the Luau
Side note: I just use Gold-star Cauliflower for the Luau. Typically two or three of the nine seeds that Gunther gives me end up Gold-star, and that's enough to fill the Luau until I'm friends with everyone. :)

imnvs

Local Legend
Just for the aesthetics, or is there any specific reason to put the corner lights?

Partly aesthetics. It keeps the light levels pretty even across the entire interior due to a lamp post's spread of light. Oh, yes, and I use lamp posts as interior lights as they are hard to accidently pick up.

Ilune

Planter
Side note: I just use Gold-star Cauliflower for the Luau. Typically two or three of the nine seeds that Gunther gives me end up Gold-star, and that's enough to fill the Luau until I'm friends with everyone. :)
iridium quality milk work well and cows produce it every day!