Issue Advanced Iridium Rod not catching iridium fish

Zenny

Newcomer
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've been having trouble with my advanced iridium rod. I can't think of a specific mod I have that would do this, but not only can I not get fish with iridium stars, I also can't catch certain things anymore. I spent all day fishing in the dessert and couldn't catch a single puffer fish for this quest I'm doing. This is insane. Any idea what could cause this? None of my mods have any updates they need and smapi isn't showing any errors or skipped mods.

Ereo

Helper
Pufferfish are sea fish, not desert fish so unless you have a mod that changes locations it’s no surprise you couldn’t catch any in the desert.

If by advanced iridium rod you mean the vanilla game one Willy sells, that has no influence on the fish quality. Fish quality is determined by distance to shore, your level and a random factor. You can only get iridium by making perfect catches or using a quality bobber.

Did you catch iridium fish with the fibreglass rod? Which mods do you have?

Zenny

Newcomer
Pufferfish are sea fish, not desert fish so unless you have a mod that changes locations it’s no surprise you couldn’t catch any in the desert.

If by advanced iridium rod you mean the vanilla game one Willy sells, that has no influence on the fish quality. Fish quality is determined by distance to shore, your level and a random factor. You can only get iridium by making perfect catches or using a quality bobber.

Did you catch iridium fish with the fibreglass rod? Which mods do you have?
That's... really weird... I swear to god I've caught them in the desert before. Either way, no, I'm not talking about the one Willy sells, I mean the Advanced Iridium Rod that you get from the Cave of Mastery. I tested it out just now, and I was able to catch an iridium woodskip on my farm just fine, but the sandfish and scorpion carps in the desert don't have any stars on them, no matter how perfect the catch is.

I have about 29 mods in total, most of which just change aesthetic stuff in the game or add certain events to it. I've got CBJ cheats installed which you can use to just always get perfect catches, but considering that it seems to only be the desert fish that are effected right now, I'm not entirely sure how it would glitch like that.

Ereo

Helper
Ah ok, so you have a rod where you can attach 2 tackle plus bait, but it still doesn’t influence quality unless you use the quality bobbers.

the desert pond has a lower chance to give quality fish because it is so small. Check out the fishing zone section on the wiki for details. There seem to have been some changes with 1.6, so maybe it is bugged now.

Perfect catches only raise the quality by one level if the fish already has a silver or gold star, so if you’re catching regular quality no bonus is applied.