Additions to marriage and children.

Losermac

Sodbuster
I wanted to post a suggestion that I think would be a massive addition to the game to make some parts more fulfilling and interesting. Marriage and children is such a unique and beautiful concept in a game such as Stardew Valley. It makes the game super interesting and exciting, everything marriage wise is pretty great and well set up. And eventually you can even have children which is awesome and continues this immersive experience. And it's very tastefully done as well considering it can be a mature topic to put in a game like this. However it starts to break immersion and falls a little flat when you just get a dark screen asking you: "Do you want to have a child". And then nothing happens for 14 days... All of the sudden it mentions that your spouse gave birth in the night, you name them on a black screen, and a baby appears in your crib in the back room. You then cannot interact with your baby for another 14 days. Then you have some small amount of interaction with them which is exciting and funny, but they stay in the crib for another 14 days. Finally they can start crawling around for 28 days. Unfortunately this is a downgrade from the previous stage because all you can do now with them is click on them once per day and see a heart above their head, you can no longer play with them. And your spouse never mentions anything about him being out of the crib now. Nor do they ever interact with your child at all. If you are not out of the farmhouse by 6 PM, your baby never gets put to bed unless you leave the house and go back in. This will make them teleport into their bed and instantly be asleep. You and your spouse basically can’t do anything with your child, and it feels like a part of the game that was never fully completed. At this point you can start earning friendship points, which at the moment doesn’t do anything either unfortunately. They remain crawling until they reach their final stage: Toddler. The best part about this is getting to finally see your kid walk after such a long time, it can be fairly gratifying, but once again there is no new form of interaction. This is your child's final stage. He will never grow up past this point and you will be forever stuck, never seeing your child grow from this point on. The other villagers don't even know you had/have a child, and your child never appears at any events. There are big problems with this in my opinion, and I think there can be so many small things to solve it. So this is what I want to suggest and I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement but I'll try my best to keep it simple.

1. Allow the character to see their spouse when the baby question is asked, seeing a black screen with a message pop-up makes it feel empty.

2. Make stages where you can see your spouse begin to show, and give them more dialogue telling the player how they are feeling during pregnancy. Or have the player (if they chose to be a girl) start to show and have your spouse ask you how you’re feeling. Maybe they have morning sickness, maybe they have mood swings, etc. This of course would not apply to non-biological children, maybe it can be more simple like a cut-scene where you get to pick your child at the adoption agency.

3. After the 14 days have the moment where the child is coming, and you need to get to the hospital. At 2 AM, your spouse or the player, begins to go into labor and a cut-scene occurs where you get to see your child being born. Of course make it tastefully done just like when you originally got the question, you wouldn't see any of the mature things. Maybe you are holding your spouse's hand, or they yours, and under a blanket Harvey/Maru pulls the baby out and says its gender. That's when you would find out if it's a boy or a girl, your spouse then asks what their name will be, and this is when you type in the name of your choice. The cut-scene ends and you get the usual earning/saving the game screen. The next day the baby is in your crib, and your spouse would have the same dialogue in the game currently, maybe some new dialogue talking about the birth. Maybe let your spouse, when they go to socialize, tell other villagers about the baby. And you would get new dialogue from every villager when you talk to them asking how the baby is doing. And have your child always be near your spouse during every event.

4. Make some more interaction possible during the first 14 days stage, like being able to pick them up, rocking them to sleep, feeding them, etc. (All formula of course) And every time you have one of these interactions you see a heart appear over their head. Or allow your spouse to do the same on a set schedule. Stage 2 can remain the same where you can play with them more since they are a little more grown. Adding in a sound effect where the baby laughs would be super cute though, like how the animals make their own noises when you pet them. In Stage 3, allow the player to pick up the child, or maybe allow more ways to play with them. Sometimes maybe your spouse is holding them or playing with them on a set schedule. And maybe allow the player to put the child to sleep, or if you don’t do it, your spouse will every night at 6 PM. And in Stage 4 allow more ways to play with them since they are more grown up. Maybe let the player chase them around, since they can move so fast now.
A new Stage 5 could be added where the toddler will start learning how to talk, and after a certain amount of time the player can start talking to their child everyday.

5. Allow the player to give gifts to their children. Make their likes and dislikes based on a randomized list. You would have to figure out what they Love or Hate.

6. This would be the hardest part to put in the game but I will try to explain it simply. Your child can grow past the toddler stage where they can become 2 different types of child: Good or Bad. Constantly interacting with your child every day, showing it love, giving gifts to them, and getting your friendship level to full and keeping it there will cause the child to grow into a good person. They would be kindhearted, charitable, and just overall good. If you never interact with your child, never give them gifts, and even show hate towards them they will grow into a bad person. They will hate the player and most things.

No matter what, after your child grows into an adult they will go out into the world and live on their own. There will come a day when your child is ready to leave Stardew Valley and make it on their own somewhere. At this point if you raise them well, they will appear at every Event allowing you to interact with your fully grown child several times a year. They will also send you mail just like every other NPC telling you they are doing well or maybe gift you something. If you didn't raise your child well he will go out into the world and be gone forever. They will never show up to any events, or ever send you any mail. Basically if you put effort into raising your child you will be rewarded just like everything in Stardew Valley.
I know there would be a big problem to get over if all of this was implemented which would be how your child would look when they start to grow past the toddler stage. I assume they look so cute and simple because there’s too many different ways your character can look and so many different spouses you can choose. The only thing I can suggest is no matter what the child will look mostly like the spouse and not the player. That will still take a ton of work, since it would basically be adding 24 new NPC’s. But every suggestion I had, before the “growing past toddler stage”, I think would still make this part of the game feel much more complete.

As for marriage itself, I think the player should be able to choose whether they want to remain with their spouse permanently, allowing 10 Heart access to all bachelors without having to show "romantic interest" with them and being able to complete everything in the game while remaining faithful to your favorite NPC. Once you get married it feels like every villager just forgets you got married the next day. And there are a lot of instances where villagers are either sad/jealous that you have a high heart level with another villager, (Example: Clint and Emily) as well as sometimes villagers being protective of other villagers. (Example: Demetrius and Maru) Even though the player can be married these instances still appear, making it feel like no one knows you're married.
This is just a minor problem of course but I just wanted to mention it. It's definitely not that big of a deal, more of a minor nitpick. Another suggestion is that certain villagers can get into a relationship with one another or even get married themselves. (Example being Clint and Emily, or Alex and Haley) If you don't interfere with certain bachelors and get 10 Heart friendships with them and some other non bachelor villagers, they can start to become "romantically interested" with each other. And they can even maybe have weddings of their own, making you the best man, or bridesmaid. Some of the villagers' stories seem incomplete, such as Clint and Emily, or Lewis and Marnie. And having this possibility would make their stories feel more complete.
Of course you can still have the option to cheat on your spouse and become romantically interested with everyone, that aspect of the game is really interesting and fun as well, I would never want that to be removed. I'm just suggesting another option like the one already mentioned.
That's all for marriage, I think these would be good additions as well!

All in all, I fell in love with this game, I'm so happy to see the success that has come from insanely hard work and dedication from Eric Barone. This game is amazing and I will never stop playing it whether these were additions or not. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Shezeu

Farmhand
Give me the option to strap my baby to my chest with a baby bjorn. :baby:
Oh my gosh that would be adorable; if this became an option it might need a few stipulations as to where they can and can't go, like it wouldn't be very safe to take the baby into the mines. Buuuut maybe it also opens up the option to ask your spouse's parents/family if they could watch the baby for the day? Then they carry the baby around (strapped to their NPC's chest) until you pick them up by talking to them again. If you leave the baby with them until 10PM when you can't enter their house they'll drop the baby off in the morning.

I wanted to post a suggestion that I think would be a massive addition to the game to make some parts more fulfilling and interesting. Marriage and children is such a unique and beautiful concept in a game such as Stardew Valley. It makes the game super interesting and exciting, everything marriage wise is pretty great and well setup. Getting to find someone special in the game that you like the most and then falling in love with them and eventually getting to marry them is so cool. It's exciting at first to see your loved one move in, and getting to talk with them everyday and embrace them, as well as getting some extra work done or getting food from them is super nice. And eventually you can even have children which is awesome and continues this immersive experience. And it's very tastefully done as well considering it can be mature topic to put in a game like this. However it starts to break immersion and fall a little flat when you just get a dark screen asking you: "Do you want to have have a child". And then nothing happens for 14 days... All of the sudden a it mentions that your spouse gave birth in the night, you name them in a black screen, and a baby appears in your crib in the back room. This is the exact case as animals and it kind of feels the same way, the only difference being that you know when the baby is coming. You then cannot interact with your baby at for another 14 days, then you have some small amount of interaction with them but they stay in the crib for ANOTHER 14 days. Finally they can start crawling around for 28 days until they reach their final stage: Toddler. The best part about this is getting to finally see your kid walk after such a long time, it can be fairly gratifying, and access to more interaction and even a friendship status like every other villager. However this is your child's final stage. He will never grow up past this point and you will be forever stuck, never seeing your child grow from this point on. There are big problems with this in my opinion, it can make this part of the game feel really incomplete. So this is what I want to suggest and I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement but I'll try my best to keep it simple.

1. Allow the character to see their spouse when the baby question is asked, seeing a black screen with a message pop-up makes it feel empty.

2. Make stages where you can see your spouse begin to show, and give them more dialogue telling the player how their feeling during pregnancy. Maybe they have morning sickness, maybe they have mood swings, etc. This of course would not apply to non-biological children, maybe it can be more simple like a cut-scene where you get to pick your child at the adoption agency.

3. After the 14 days have the moment where the child is coming, and you need to get to the hospital. At 2 am, your spouse begins to go into labor and a cut-scene occurs where you get to see your child being born. Of course make it tastefully done just like when you originally get the question, you wouldn't see any of the mature things. Maybe you are holding your spouse's hand, and under a blanket Harvey pulls the baby out and says its gender. That's when you would find out if it's a boy or a girl, your spouse then asks what will their name be, and this is when you type in the name of your choice. The cut-scene ends and you get the usual earning/saving the game screen. The next day the baby is in your crib, and your wife would have the same dialogue, maybe some new dialogue talking about the birth.

4. Make some more interaction possible during the first 14 days stage, like being able to pick them up, rocking them to sleep, feeding them, etc. (All formula of course) And every time you have one of these interactions you see a heart appear over their head like every NPC. Stage 2-4 can remain the same where you can play with them more since they are a little more grown, and eventually getting to see them run around, those parts are pretty much perfect.

5. Allow the player to give gifts to their children. Make their likes and dislikes based on a randomized list. You would have to figure out what they Love or Hate.

6. This would be the hardest part to put in the game but I will try to explain it simply. Your child can grow past the toddler stage where they can become 2 different types of child: Good or Bad. Constantly interacting with your child every day, showing it love, giving gifts to them, and getting your friendship level to full and keeping it there will cause the child to grow into a good person. They would be kindhearted, charitable, and just overall good. If you never interact with your child, never give them gifts, and even show hate towards them they will grow into a bad person. They will hate the player and most things.

No matter what after your child grows into an adult they will go out into the world and live on their own. There will come a day when your child is ready to leave Stardew Valley and make it on their own somewhere. At this point if you raised them well, they will appear at every Event allowing you to interact your fully grown child several times a year. They will also send you mail just like every other NPC telling you he's doing well or maybe gift you something. If you didn't raise your child well he will go out into the world and be gone forever. They will never show up to any events, or every send you any mail. Basically if you put effort into raising your child you will be rewarded just like everything in Stardew Valley.

And that's it for children, right now it just feel like that part of the game is incomplete, and I personally feel this would be a great addition!

As for marriage itself, I think the player should be able to choose whether they want to remain with their spouse permanently, allowing 10 Heart access to all bachelors without having to show "romantic interest" with them and being able to complete everything in the game while remaining faithful to your favorite NPC. Once you get married it feels like every villager just forgets you got married the next day. And there is a lot of instances where villagers are either sad/jealous that you have a high heart level with another villager, (Example: Clint and Emily) as well as sometimes villagers being protective of other villagers. (Example: Demetrius and Maru) Even though the player can be married these instances still appear, making it feel like no one knows you're married.

This is just a minor problem of course but I just wanted to mention it. It's definitely not that big of a deal, more of a minor nitpick. Another suggestion is that certain villagers can get into a relationship with one another or even get married themselves. (Example being Clint and Emily, or Alex and Haley) If you don't interfere with certain bachelors and get 10 Heart friendships with them and some other non bachelor villagers, they can start to become "romantically interested" with each other. And they can even maybe have weddings of their own, making you the best man, or bridesmaid. Some of the villagers stories seem incomplete, such as Clint and Emily, or Lewis and Marnie. And having this possibilty would make their stories feel more complete.

Of course you can still have the option to cheat on your spouse and become romantically interested with everyone, that aspect of the game is really interesting and fun as well, I would never want that to be removed. I'm just suggesting another option like the one already mentioned.

And that's it for marriage, I think these would be good additions as well!

All in all, I fell in love with this game, I'm so happy to see the success that has come from insanely hard work and dedication from Eric Barone. This game is amazing and I will never stop playing it whether these were additions or not. Thank you for reading!
I love your idea. but I have a question: I married Harvey in the game so who will pull the baby? maybe Maru? :maru: :baby:

Last edited:

Losermac

Sodbuster
I love your idea. but I have a question: I married Harvey in the game so who will pull the baby? maybe Maru?
I was using Harvey as an example since he's the only doctor. But I didn't think of that possibility to be honest, so having Maru do it in place of Harvey if you married him is a great idea! I edited that in as a possibility, thanks for that catch!

Last edited:

CptPICHU

Greenhorn
Awesome suggestions. I'd love pretty much all of that in the game.
I personally would also add to improve multiplayer marriage.
Just some more cool things you can do with a married player.
Like going on dates in the Saloon for example. Or maybe idk... KISS? ._.

I really think there also should be more to multiplayer marriage. At least it should be possible to do the things
you also can do with NPCs.

Im actually really upset with the fact, that beeing married in multiplayer is basically useless.
But i also dont want to cheat my girlfriend with an NPC :'D

U got me? Difficult situation!
I really hope Ape or someone who can influence some things reads all of this.

Sleepybird

Greenhorn
Awesome suggestions. I'd love pretty much all of that in the game.
I personally would also add to improve multiplayer marriage.
Just some more cool things you can do with a married player.
Like going on dates in the Saloon for example. Or maybe idk... KISS? ._.

I really think there also should be more to multiplayer marriage. At least it should be possible to do the things
you also can do with NPCs.

Im actually really upset with the fact, that beeing married in multiplayer is basically useless.
But i also dont want to cheat my girlfriend with an NPC :'D

U got me? Difficult situation!
I really hope Ape or someone who can influence some things reads all of this.
You could actually kiss your spouse after talking to them. A heart pops up after the kiss

Ennoshima

Planter
These are all really amazing suggestions, and I would absolutely love seeing it incorporated into the game!
I do use some mods to make the children more interactive -- but I'd also love to see this stuff in vanilla!

Stewyntig

Farmhand
It would be nice to have anniversaries with your partner eg like silver, gold ruby.
It annoys me a little that in order to get 10 hearts with the single people you have to effectively cheat on your partner. I have chosen not to experience that, but it does make me sad seeing I will only be 8 hearts...

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
a lot of these suggestions i like, though a few of these suggestions i feel are too much work (even if i can agree with the core opinion of it would make the game more complete). I'll answer with the same number you brought up in the op!

1.) 100% agree here. That would be really sweet, and if it was a special portrait that'd be touching too, but I totally wouldn't mind the normal blushing portrait

2.) I don't think this would work, ESPECIALLY for the farmer. The clothes system is so involved and complex that I don't think there's a way to reasonably make the belly show-- while I think it's a sweet idea, I think the work it'd take to put into it does not match up to its importance in the game

3.) I love the idea of a cutscene for the birth! Maybe the second child is a slightly different cutscene too. I also would really like villagers to react to your marriage/family more too, though it can be hard to have "generic" dialogue that matches up with it. There are tons of different spouses and you may or may not have divorced some but keep the kids, so that's a LOT of specific dialogue to add. I think this would only work if they had some generic baby dialogue, and then some dialogue based on if they know the spouse or not. Like, for example, Maru would specifically comment on Sebastian or Penny if one of them is your spouse, but she'll have some baby dialogue that moreso just matches her own personality

4.) I would love more ways to interact with the baby and I'd adore getting to see your spouse interact with the baby too! That's a ton of new sprites, but I do think it would be a lot more immersive.

5.) I love this! I think it'd be cool if likes/dislikes were randomly generated, OR they're dependent on the spouse and maybe whatever items you've used more in the game or something (which could make some hilarious results)

6.) I have no opinion on past the toddler stage-- I'd love it, but I definitely don't want them to grow into adults, especially considering no one else in the valley ages. Vincent/Jas age sounds like the best, but even then, that's a lot of dialogue, portraits, sprites, and more stuff to add. I don't even know how to feel about our kids having dialogue to begin with. Overall I'm neutral. I can at least agree that the "good/bad" route makes the dialogue a bit more manageable

Losermac

Sodbuster
a lot of these suggestions i like, though a few of these suggestions i feel are too much work (even if i can agree with the core opinion of it would make the game more complete). I'll answer with the same number you brought up in the op!

1.) 100% agree here. That would be really sweet, and if it was a special portrait that'd be touching too, but I totally wouldn't mind the normal blushing portrait

2.) I don't think this would work, ESPECIALLY for the farmer. The clothes system is so involved and complex that I don't think there's a way to reasonably make the belly show-- while I think it's a sweet idea, I think the work it'd take to put into it does not match up to its importance in the game

3.) I love the idea of a cutscene for the birth! Maybe the second child is a slightly different cutscene too. I also would really like villagers to react to your marriage/family more too, though it can be hard to have "generic" dialogue that matches up with it. There are tons of different spouses and you may or may not have divorced some but keep the kids, so that's a LOT of specific dialogue to add. I think this would only work if they had some generic baby dialogue, and then some dialogue based on if they know the spouse or not. Like, for example, Maru would specifically comment on Sebastian or Penny if one of them is your spouse, but she'll have some baby dialogue that moreso just matches her own personality

4.) I would love more ways to interact with the baby and I'd adore getting to see your spouse interact with the baby too! That's a ton of new sprites, but I do think it would be a lot more immersive.

5.) I love this! I think it'd be cool if likes/dislikes were randomly generated, OR they're dependent on the spouse and maybe whatever items you've used more in the game or something (which could make some hilarious results)

6.) I have no opinion on past the toddler stage-- I'd love it, but I definitely don't want them to grow into adults, especially considering no one else in the valley ages. Vincent/Jas age sounds like the best, but even then, that's a lot of dialogue, portraits, sprites, and more stuff to add. I don't even know how to feel about our kids having dialogue to begin with. Overall I'm neutral. I can at least agree that the "good/bad" route makes the dialogue a bit more manageable
Thank you for explaining a lot of these details, lots of stuff I didn't think about, about how hard this would be to put in. I never really thought the past toddler stage could ever work no matter how hard I thought about it. Really at this point, my only hopes, are that this whole part of the game just gets a little more refinement. But I may have gone a little overboard with some suggestions, considering this part of the game can be mostly unimportant to some people. I just really love everything about the family aspect, and I really hope to see more of it.

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for explaining a lot of these details, lots of stuff I didn't think about, about how hard this would be to put in. I never really thought the past toddler stage could ever work no matter how hard I thought about it. Really at this point, my only hopes, are that this whole part of the game just gets a little more refinement. But I may have gone a little overboard with some suggestions, considering this part of the game can be mostly unimportant to some people. I just really love everything about the family aspect, and I really hope to see more of it.

No problem! And I don't think there's anything wrong with making suggestions that would be quite an undertaking in the game, since maybe they end up being not that bad after all, or your ideas inspire a different addition to the game. Making toddlers grow up is a really popular suggestion and there are bound to be some things that will be a LOT to add, but that doesn't mean they won't add it. I mean, it doesn't mean they'll add it the way people request it, either, since they have a better idea of the limitations than we do. I think it's healthy to have a back and forth dialogue!

Either way, I really liked your suggestions and I hope the devs check it out, since I definitely agree marriage/kids can be a lot more.

CountBubbleRat

Greenhorn

I've got to say, I'm one of those people who aren't very interested in the children/family aspects of this game. I have kids because it makes the game more complete, but they are forever getting in my way and standing in front of things.
I was really excited the first time I played, but when I realised the kids never stop being toddlers, and they are less lovable than the cat/dog... I was pretty disappointed.

I think some of the original suggestions are pretty good, and I agree with most of Magically Clueless's remarks.

Personally, having the female partner of an opposite-sex couple show pregnancy, would make me feel very dysphoric. I like my characters being as androgynous as possible, and I'm already thrown for a loop every single time a villager needlessly points out my character's gender. Like, really, do you NEED to use gendered addresses in every second bloody interaction?
I really wish they had included a third dialogue option for those characters which insist on gendering you. I get that they are mostly old fashioned characters, but I'm not playing this game to encounter misgendering which I can get in real life.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway... my point is that, although I am personally glad that the pregnancy is invisible, it would be sweet to see the blushing portrait of your spouse when asking about having kids.

I would definitely support a cutscene where you and your spouse go to the hospital/clinic (realistically it would be more likely for the birth to occur at home in this small town, but that would make cutscene creation harder). And an adoption scene (I'd also find it interesting to choose the adopted child's gender, but the game randomises the first, and the second is always the opposite of the first, so if you have two kids it will always be one boy and one girl, if I'm remembering correctly).

You could make a fairly universal cutscene where the player character and spouse walk into a hospital, maybe some comedic sound effects/sentences occur, perhaps there is a shout of pain or "hooray", which scares the birds out of a nearby tree, and then the screen goes black with a little sentence at the bottom just like at the end of an event (such as the luau or egg festival), before returning you home for the finances/save screen.
(*EDIT: In this cutscene I'm imagining you looking at the outside of the hospital, which is why comedic sounds and sentences are so important in this theorised cutscene - because you need to feel attached to the events happening, without actually seeing them. Think of the cutscene where Linus invites you into his tent - VERY funny and well executed.*)

As for generic dialogue from the villagers, relating to your marriage and child...
I imagine it would be quite easy to come up with some that feels relevant, but is non-descript enough to work for everyone. The parents around town could start giving generic advice about children, or sharing their own child-rearing experiences. The older people could reminisce, or give "advice" which is a little outdated. The other marriage candidates could muse about their own futures, etc.
Eg: "When Sam was that age he was such a fussy eater. I had to blend vegetables into the pizza sauce! Don't tell him though!",
"Oh, they're always a handful at that age aren't they?",
"Teach them about farming when they're young, that's what I always say. Kids need to grow up with VALUES!",
"I've always thought about having kids myself... but I wonder if I'll ever be ready.",
"It must be so nice hearing the pitter patter of tiny feet in that old farm house. Your grandfather would have loved to meet your little family."

I suppose the most difficult part about this, is that you can get divorced, and can get rid of your kids. So there would be extra behind-the-scenes work to make sure NPCs stopped these dialogues if you get divorced/get rid of the kids.
(It would be really sweet to talk to the sibling of your spouse and have them exclaim how excited they are to be an aunt/uncle - in the cases of Emily/Hayley, Maru/Sebastian, Sam/Vincent.)

I really love the idea of your kids growing into child age (like Jas and Vincent), and never getting older. I agree that the looks of the child would be difficult, but I'm sure it wouldn't be beyond the abilities of the game devs if they wanted to do it. I'd even be happy with one child who ages up to child age, and the other stays as a toddler. It would be easier(I think) as they would only need to create half the number of new NPCs, and as an adorable bonus, you would get to see the older sibling looking after the younger one, or the younger one imitating the older one. It immediately conjures up a wealth of dialogue options for the kids to have.

Randomised personality traits and likes/dislikes would be awesome.
You could end up with a kid who likes to read, or one who likes to hang out in the barn with the animals. They don't have to be useful, just cute.
Perhaps there could be a certain number of personality sets and each came with a minor visual change to the farm (which would be easier with only one child-aged kid and one toddler, as the first born would get a little 4X4 addition somewhere on the farm, and the second born child would just interact with that area to mimic their older sibling).
For instance:
- Likes to read: gets a little bookshelf and beanbag in the kid's room, where they will spend hours at a time (much as the NPC spouse spends time in their little section outside on the farm). The younger sibling (if any) would sometimes follow them there, and just lie there listening to the older kid read.
- Likes plants/flowers: gets a little garden that they dig in and play in/around for hours at a time. The younger sibling would sometimes stand nearby, watching, and when interacted with you can hear the older kid explaining things to the younger kid ("See? This is a ladybug! They're good for plants!", "No! Don't pull that one! Only the weeds!").
- Likes to explore: in addition to randomly going into the forest, the older kid gets a little puddle of mud, where they play and make mud pies. Again, the younger sibling can join them there with amusing dialogue when the player interacts "Yuck! You're only supposed to PRETEND to eat the mud pie!".

Perhaps one or two days a week the older kid joins Penny's class, or perhaps the older kid doesn't go to "school", because they have to stay home and help your spouse look after the younger sibling (if no younger sibling, then looking after the farm would do as an excuse). I imagine it would be harder to alter Penny's dialogue about her class, unless they changed it to generic "the kids" where it currently says "Jas and Vincent".

I have always felt that it was odd that your spouse hardly ever talks about your kids, and never interacts with them.
I think it would go a long way to have your kids attend events standing near your spouse. You could make it easier graphically by simply putting a pram/stroller by your spouse, big enough for a toddler - that way the toddler doesn't need to be drawn in if there are visual differences between kids.

But it must be really hard to have the spouse interact with the kids, or they would have done it. I'm sure there are lots of potential glitches when two NPCs interact with each other in a way which doesn't follow a strict script (eg Marnie and Lewis stand facing each other at the pub, clearly wrapped up in each other's presence. But Robin and Demetrius do a lot of activities together, and sometimes there is a mismatch - eg Demetrius will be dancing alone because Robin isn't in her usual spot for some reason, but the text reads the same, indicating that he and Robin are dancing together and too busy to talk).
So they would have to do something less complex, like have the spouse go and stand by the baby crib for such-and-such time, instead of a usual scripted activity, but only when there is a baby in the house. It still sounds very complicated to me, and I don't think it would make enough difference to the game.

However I think aging one kid up, and then having the other kid follow the older sibling around on certain days (while still doing the regular toddler thing of running randomly around the house for no reason at other times), would satisfy that desire to see more family interactions.

Last edited:

tomaO2

Planter
You're overthinking the situation. All you need is a singular maternity dress outfit. All female characters will use it, including the player character. At the advanced pregnancy level, a text prompt shows up and tells you that you no longer fit your normal clothing and must wear the maternity dress until giving birth. After having the baby, the maternity dress is put away, and cannot be accessed again, until you have another kid. The maternity dress could trigger additional dialogue from the NPCs. Honestly, I've found the flower festival dance to be disconcerting since you are wearing your normal clothing. There should be an option to dress like everyone else. Like, just before the dance, you get a text prompt saying "do you wish to wear your flower festival outfit?"

The clothing honestly needs some major revisions, given how clunky the system is. I'm thinking making a post about it soon.

A larger question I suddenly have is what happens if you change to male after getting pregnant? Can you do that? Anyone know the answer?

Also, on the topic of pregnancy, why the heck don't cows, goats, etc. get visibly pregnant? There are even 2 birthing chambers in the barn for them to rest in but they are never used. That's really weird. It was a standard feature in Harvest Moon, along with the pregnancy pills that Stardew also doesn't have. Makes me feel that not showing pregnancy is a game feature that Ape wanted, for whatever reason, so I don't think it's likely to be added, regardless. I would still like to see it though.

If you really went with the whole visible pregnancy route, then other things might be added. For instance, maybe you would not be allowed in the mines, because you don't want to risk hurting the baby. You might also want to have a -1 speed debuff while walking at some point, or you stop using energy if you get to 10, so you are less likely to overexert yourself while pregnant. You would still be able to stay past 2am though. You could give some additional scolding if that happens. Some events may not be done while pregnant, such as the flower dance.

Given that this is likely to annoy some players. Additional options may need to be given so that even heterosexuals couples have the opportunity to adopt as well, thus preventing the PC from being restricted for a few days.

Anyways, all interesting ideas. I'm on the fence for adulthood, personally, and everything I've heard suggests that it's unlikely to to that far, but I certainly feel that aging the kids up to child level should be done. I think it should be a priority addition for 1.6. I think this is the best thing that could be focused on for the next update.

I think a good feature for the kids would be having them help out around the farm. I would use a variant on the junimo hut. You get a special chest when your child gets older. You can place this chest anywhere in your farm. Anything within X number of spaces will be tended to by the child, and all crops are gathered in the chest. You could further have a feature that if a barn/coop door is within the range of the chest, the child will also tend to all animals that live inside that barn. The more hearts. the larger the area that can be done by the kids.

Now the child is actually useful. On top of that, they would get a daily routine. Would be nice to see them with Penny's group, and such.

Also, if you are bringing them up to child age, then marking the birthday would be important. Not sure if this is done already, since I haven't had kids yet, but if it hasn't been, then this is a good time to add it.

Last edited: