Add Option/Toggle to Manually Pick-up Items

Phoenix81167

Greenhorn
Currently, the game is set to automatically pick-up items that are in a dropped state. This is beneficial for various reasons and conveniences. However, the convenience changes when you are lagging on a multiplayer server. When you are lagging or dealing with high ping delays, you aren't able to pick-up these items fast enough. And in a game where time matters, you are forced to watch and wait at these items until the game decides to let you have them; varies on the severity of the lag or out-of-sync in time.
From my experience, this is especially annoying when you are caving. I would be watching as the mined-out ores lay on the ground while I wait there, hoping they will get in my inventory. When I ask for the Host's time, I would find out the time is not in sync. And in most cases when mining, the time doesn't try to get in sync. Another issue I found out is that when you are in the cave, for some reason the game has a harder time to catch up or sync up the times. When I get out of the mines, the time would gradually catch up.

So my plea/suggestion is this, can there be an option or toggle to manually pick-up items? Similar to how we pick up foraged items, can we have the same functionality for other items on the ground? This will be of a great convenience and accessibility for those who are dealing with lag when playing multiplayer.

I feel this is a reasonable suggestion, but it is very likely to be impossible to implement due to the way the game is coded. It seems to me that there are two states for an item to be in, the first is placed and the second is in a dropped\item state. Making it possible for dropped items to count as placed would very likely increase your lag issues and require recoding entire sections of the game to implement. I could be wrong, but in the form that you have suggested, I don't think this is viable or possible.

Phoenix81167

Greenhorn
I feel this is a reasonable suggestion, but it is very likely to be impossible to implement due to the way the game is coded. It seems to me that there are two states for an item to be in, the first is placed and the second is in a dropped\item state. Making it possible for dropped items to count as placed would very likely increase your lag issues and require recoding entire sections of the game to implement. I could be wrong, but in the form that you have suggested, I don't think this is viable or possible.
That is one of the things I had thought about which is why I am not completely sure this will make any change. But if it is possible, or may lead to some other solution, then I am willing to accept that chance. The main reason why I posted this was because I couldn't find anybody else talking about this or had anything related to it. So, I decided to at least start a conversation regarding this topic. But if it is indeed not possible to manually pick up dropped items, then I guess I will just have to suck it up for now. Thanks for the reply fellow farmer.

That is one of the things I had thought about which is why I am not completely sure this will make any change. But if it is possible, or may lead to some other solution, then I am willing to accept that chance. The main reason why I posted this was because I couldn't find anybody else talking about this or had anything related to it. So, I decided to at least start a conversation regarding this topic. But if it is indeed not possible to manually pick up dropped items, then I guess I will just have to suck it up for now. Thanks for the reply fellow farmer.
No problem! I think that something like this would be a useful addition as well. I was mostly trying to figure out not only how this would work but if it would work. I'm sure there is some way to code something in that would at least decrease how badly the issue affects you, and there may be a mod for it. (I don't know what platform you play on so it is just a suggestion) I hope that there is some way to fix this, but until then I hope you can still have fun playing!