Writing Abigail's story

Lew Zealand

Helper
Don't walk home. It gives you time to think of things. This one popped out today and now I have to write it. Because I don't like have anything else to write about. Sheesh... Enjoy!

Approaching the base of the volcano, Abigail considered the events leading up to this crossroads in her life.
_____

Abigail had been practicing with her sword in the basement when Mom came down yet again to ask nobody in particular what all the racket was.

"Really Mom?" Abigail responded with an eyeroll. "You know exactly what I'm doing down here, you don't need to play it up. I'll clean up the dummies when I'm finished."

"Abby, it's such a nice day outside," Caroline pleaded. "I really wish you wouldn't coop up down here and just go out and get some fresh air. Your father wishes he could do the same every day."

"Pfft!" Abigail snorted, "Dad could do that whenever he wanted, he's just too worried someone'll... cut a hole in the back of the house and sneak in when he's not looking. The door opens to the town square, he can be outside and see who comes and goes whenever he wants!"

"Don't change the subject, dear," Caroline admonished. "Just clean up here and go out, you look even paler than usual."

"Yeah OK Mom." Joke's on you giving out compliments like that. The basement was getting hot and stuffy so it was time to go out anyway, but Abigail delayed another 20 minutes so it wouldn't look like she was actually listening or following directions. But once Mom's footsteps upstairs started back down the hall from the kitchen, she grabbed her bag, sword, and some rock candy snacks, making a scene parading out of the basement and then the house.

Considering a walk to the dark woods that the not-so-new-anymore farmer girl had hacked open recently, Abigail decided that visiting the slimes in there was still something left for another time. So she proceeded to the town graveyard for some breezy, shady, and hopefully less-sweaty sword swinging. After practicing for a bit, trying not to nick her weapon on the grave markers, Abby spotted Penny walking the kids back from school and retreated between the trees for some privacy. Jas' hair always bothered Abigail as it was almost the same odd awesome shade of purple as hers but ever since arriving at Pelican Town, Abigail thought that maybe she stood out just a little less than before. Only a tiny bit. Jas is only a kid, probably be gone before long anyway.

And no chance she'll ever win the Egg hunt!

Well, and look who's approaching now, little Miss Popular Brunette Haley-wannabe Farmer. Just because some old guy you barely know leaves you a free farm and you swing into town from the big city all Miss Important and I can play farming and make lots of g while the rest of us live in a room with our parents... Abigail didn't know where she was going with the thought and didn't have much time to finish.

She wandered out from under the overarching trees, not making immediate eye contact.

"Hi Abigail," Bobbi said. "What's up?"

"Hi Bobbi," Abigail replied somewhat unenthusiastically. "Not much, just avoiding the parents and poking bugs with my metal stick." She swung her sword around casually, trying not to seem that she cared.

"Your have a sword? Cool!" Bobbi said, eyeing Abby's blade.

"It's nothing," Abigail said a little guardedly, but still perking up a bit. "It's not like I'm doing anything exciting with it. Like slaying dinosaurs." Abigail paused. "Gunther told me they're all dead but I bet he's just not looking hard enough."

Bobbi smiled, saying, "Well there are a few fun things to swing a sword at in the Mines and sometimes they even drop cool things--" Bobbi's face quickly flashed through raised eyebrows and a defocused look. Abigail knew this was farmer girl's brain slowly churning through a thought, but that sometimes there came something useful out of it in the end. Best to wait a bit. One time she'd received an amethyst after being patient and who knows what she had hidden in that pack? Blackberry Cobbler? Maybe a particular jewelry thi-

"Abigail!" Bobbi blurted out.

"Hi, I'm still here," Abigail made a scene looking for other Abigails in the local vicinity.

"Yes. Sorry," Bobbi recovered, "I have a thing that maybe you might like. I got it in the Mines a while ago and maybe you'd appreciate it."

"Hey, if it's from the Mines, I'll ask Mom to cook it up for dinner," Abigail said, running with her favorite joke. But then remembered complications. "Uh, unless it's a cave carrot. Maybe Leah likes those." Abigail wrinkled her nose, making a gross face before she realized and stopped.

"No, you big silly, it's here." Bobbi fished out something from her pack that Abigail didn't immediately recognize, especially since right next to it she caught just a glimpse of a thing of wondrous beauty. That thing looked like a delicately carved purple sword hilt with maybe even a purple blade attached to it. But her brief view was covered in a flash as Bobbi produced the other thing from her backpack. "It's a bone sword. Wanna try it out?"

As Bobbi handed over the sword, Abby asked, "So is it for chopping up the feeble bones of your enemies?" Gathering steam, she added, "Before or after you've dispatched them!?"

"Uh, well, I suppose it works both ways but no, it's made of bone. Well, apparently." Bobbi squished her mouth and nose up, making a very skeptical face. It was almost cute. "At least, that's what Marlon said when I showed it to him but I'm not sure that guy ever tells the whole truth about anything. Apparently he's got some sort of CCTV setup in the Mines, even though the stupid elevator barely works and then only after I do repairs on the landings. I swear the place is his personal amusement park."

When Abigail received the sword from Bobbi, her hand shot up an inch or two before recovering, attempting to counteract the sword's weight but instead finding it to be almost unnaturally light. It moved very easily through the air, so well controlled. A few jabs, parries, a number of swings and Abby was in love.

Turning back to Bobbi, she said, "This is wonderful after that old clunker I've been using." Abigail's eyes narrowed. "Which I got from Marlon after badgering him for like 8 years! He probably talked to dad about it and put, like, lead in it to make it heavier! I've got some tricks for that guy next Spirit's Eve..." Abigail smiled in a not entirely welcoming way.

"Hey, don't forget to include me in any tricks you play on him, I'm not missing out on any of that!" Bobbi exclaimed. "Please keep the sword, I'm learning to use something else which is kinda bigger and, well, it'll eventually be better. Probably."

Looking down at the new sword in her hands, Abigail said, "Hey thanks, Bobbi. This is really cool." She put the sword down and gave Bobbi a hug. "Maybe even cooler than the amethyst."

"Mmmmmmm... maybe!" Abigail finished, reconsidering.

"Have fun practicing, Abigail, I'll catch ya later!" Bobbi said.

"I will, and you can call me Abby, OK? Friends, ya know? That's sorta what they do," Abigail asked.

"Friends, eh? Soooounds suspicious... but I think i can do that, Abby," Bobbi replied with a smile, hamming it up just a bit, and turned to go.

Abigail started her rounds again and found with the new balance of the bone sword, that her previous training didn't quite transfer perfectly but she soon got the hang of it. It was no longer a fight just to wield a sword. No longer straining to control the movements. And now just a little different when trying not to injure herself as the heavy momentum was replaced with quick, agile movements. Which got her nicked faster at the beginning but eventually allowed more natural actions, like it was finally listening to what her arm was telling it to do instead of balking with a mind of its own. Trying the blade on some leaves, she also found it quite a bit sharper than her old sword.

Marlon. Probably dulled it down after dad asked so little baby girl won't hurt herself.

Confidence growing with the acquisition of an actually decent weapon, Abigail thought,

"I'll show them."

Don't walk home. It gives you time to think of things. This one popped out today and now I have to write it. Because I don't like have anything else to write about. Sheesh... Enjoy!

Approaching the base of the volcano, Abigail considered the events leading up to this crossroads in her life.
_____

Abigail had been practicing with her sword in the basement when Mom came down yet again to ask nobody in particular what all the racket was.

"Really Mom?" Abigail responded with an eyeroll. "You know exactly what I'm doing down here, you don't need to play it up. I'll clean up the dummies when I'm finished."

"Abby, it's such a nice day outside," Caroline pleaded. "I really wish you wouldn't coop up down here and just go out and get some fresh air. Your father wishes he could do the same every day."

"Pfft!" Abigail snorted, "Dad could do that whenever he wanted, he's just too worried someone'll... cut a hole in the back of the house and sneak in when he's not looking. The door opens to the town square, he can be outside and see who comes and goes whenever he wants!"

"Don't change the subject, dear," Caroline admonished. "Just clean up here and go out, you look even paler than usual."

"Yeah OK Mom." Joke's on you giving out compliments like that. The basement was getting hot and stuffy so it was time to go out anyway, but Abigail delayed another 20 minutes so it wouldn't look like she was actually listening or following directions. But once Mom's footsteps upstairs started back down the hall from the kitchen, she grabbed her bag, sword, and some rock candy snacks, making a scene parading out of the basement and then the house.

Considering a walk to the dark woods that the not-so-new-anymore farmer girl had hacked open recently, Abigail decided that visiting the slimes in there was still something left for another time. So she proceeded to the town graveyard for some breezy, shady, and hopefully less-sweaty sword swinging. After practicing for a bit, trying not to nick her weapon on the grave markers, Abby spotted Penny walking the kids back from school and retreated between the trees for some privacy. Jas' hair always bothered Abigail as it was almost the same odd awesome shade of purple as hers but ever since arriving at Pelican Town, Abigail thought that maybe she stood out just a little less than before. Only a tiny bit. Jas is only a kid, probably be gone before long anyway.

And no chance she'll ever win the Egg hunt!

Well, and look who's approaching now, little Miss Popular Brunette Haley-wannabe Farmer. Just because some old guy you barely know leaves you a free farm and you swing into town from the big city all Miss Important and I can play farming and make lots of g while the rest of us live in a room with our parents... Abigail didn't know where she was going with the thought and didn't have much time to finish.

She wandered out from under the overarching trees, not making immediate eye contact.

"Hi Abigail," Bobbi said. "What's up?"

"Hi Bobbi," Abigail replied somewhat unenthusiastically. "Not much, just avoiding the parents and poking bugs with my metal stick." She swung her sword around casually, trying not to seem that she cared.

"Your have a sword? Cool!" Bobbi said, eyeing Abby's blade.

"It's nothing," Abigail said a little guardedly, but still perking up a bit. "It's not like I'm doing anything exciting with it. Like slaying dinosaurs." Abigail paused. "Gunther told me they're all dead but I bet he's just not looking hard enough."

Bobbi smiled, saying, "Well there are a few fun things to swing a sword at in the Mines and sometimes they even drop cool things--" Bobbi's face quickly flashed through raised eyebrows and a defocused look. Abigail knew this was farmer girl's brain slowly churning through a thought, but that sometimes there came something useful out of it in the end. Best to wait a bit. One time she'd received an amethyst after being patient and who knows what she had hidden in that pack? Blackberry Cobbler? Maybe a particular jewelry thi-

"Abigail!" Bobbi blurted out.

"Hi, I'm still here," Abigail made a scene looking for other Abigails in the local vicinity.

"Yes. Sorry," Bobbi recovered, "I have a thing that maybe you might like. I got it in the Mines a while ago and maybe you'd appreciate it."

"Hey, if it's from the Mines, I'll ask Mom to cook it up for dinner," Abigail said, running with her favorite joke. But then remembered complications. "Uh, unless it's a cave carrot. Maybe Leah likes those." Abigail wrinkled her nose, making a gross face before she realized and stopped.

"No, you big silly, it's here." Bobbi fished out something from her pack that Abigail didn't immediately recognize, especially since right next to it she caught just a glimpse of a thing of wondrous beauty. That thing looked like a delicately carved purple sword hilt with maybe even a purple blade attached to it. But her brief view was covered in a flash as Bobbi produced the other thing from her backpack. "It's a bone sword. Wanna try it out?"

As Bobbi handed over the sword, Abby asked, "So is it for chopping up the feeble bones of your enemies?" Gathering steam, she added, "Before or after you've dispatched them!?"

"Uh, well, I suppose it works both ways but no, it's made of bone. Well, apparently." Bobbi squished her mouth and nose up, making a very skeptical face. It was almost cute. "At least, that's what Marlon said when I showed it to him but I'm not sure that guy ever tells the whole truth about anything. Apparently he's got some sort of CCTV setup in the Mines, even though the stupid elevator barely works and then only after I do repairs on the landings. I swear the place is his personal amusement park."

When Abigail received the sword from Bobbi, her hand shot up an inch or two before recovering, attempting to counteract the sword's weight but instead finding it to be almost unnaturally light. It moved very easily through the air, so well controlled. A few jabs, parries, a number of swings and Abby was in love.

Turning back to Bobbi, she said, "This is wonderful after that old clunker I've been using." Abigail's eyes narrowed. "Which I got from Marlon after badgering him for like 8 years! He probably talked to dad about it and put, like, lead in it to make it heavier! I've got some tricks for that guy next Spirit's Eve..." Abigail smiled in a not entirely welcoming way.

"Hey, don't forget to include me in any tricks you play on him, I'm not missing out on any of that!" Bobbi exclaimed. "Please keep the sword, I'm learning to use something else which is kinda bigger and, well, it'll eventually be better. Probably."

Looking down at the new sword in her hands, Abigail said, "Hey thanks, Bobbi. This is really cool." She put the sword down and gave Bobbi a hug. "Maybe even cooler than the amethyst."

"Mmmmmmm... maybe!" Abigail finished, reconsidering.

"Have fun practicing, Abigail, I'll catch ya later!" Bobbi said.

"I will, and you can call me Abby, OK? Friends, ya know? That's sorta what they do," Abigail asked.

"Friends, eh? Soooounds suspicious... but I think i can do that, Abby," Bobbi replied with a smile, hamming it up just a bit, and turned to go.

Abigail started her rounds again and found with the new balance of the bone sword, that her previous training didn't quite transfer perfectly but she soon got the hang of it. It was no longer a fight just to wield a sword. No longer straining to control the movements. And now just a little different when trying not to injure herself as the heavy momentum was replaced with quick, agile movements. Which got her nicked faster at the beginning but eventually allowed more natural actions, like it was finally listening to what her arm was telling it to do instead of balking with a mind of its own. Trying the blade on some leaves, she also found it quite a bit sharper than her old sword.

Marlon. Probably dulled it down after dad asked so little baby girl won't hurt herself.

Confidence growing with the acquisition of an actually decent weapon, Abigail thought,

"I'll show them."
Great. Aaaaaaaaaas always! Gotta love Abby. Speaking of which I have some funny footage of her doing... Suspicious things. Like walking through walls. Gonna have to get it off the switch though. That's gonna be a pain.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Warily eyeing the volcano, Abigail edged around its base looking for the opening. Trepidation increasing only a little bit, she found herself almost hoping it would elude her. When she finally discovered it, Abigail took a deep breath and was reminded of other encounters in her past.
_____

Weeks of practice with the bone sword resulted in a much stronger feeling of progress than the old steel (tin? lead??) one ever did. Almost as if the poor balance and considerable weight had been planned to thwart any possible interest in the arts and sciences of combat. Joke's on you amateur parents, I have a real weapon now!

However that feeling of accomplishment and competency resulted in Abigail growing tired of practice. I need something real to fight. Maybe not too real or something that might not fight back much? Abigail discarded her mental image of Haley almost immediately. There was always the Mines, but Farmer Bobbi had mentioned once that she'd found it best to just avoid monsters in there and...

well, it would probably get back to Mom and Dad that she was noodling around in there. She'd been using her searching-for-quartz excuse a lot and there was only so much quartz that one person could eat arrange in spirit rings in the backyard. And Bobbi kept giving her more, which was a problem at first but Abigail soon learned to hide it from the parents in a stash, then take one to the Mines in her pack, practice with the sword in the entrance cavern, and then parade the shiny rock on the way home as another successful adventure completed.

Which of course was entirely true.

However the lower Mine floors were a little darkish and claustrophobic and even with her new lovey sword, Abigail still felt uneasy there. Plus, heading that way too many times would probably get back to Robin and then on Tuesday to Mom. Stupid village chatterboxes, can't they just mind their own business? Seb of course would never tell his mom but you just know that Miss Goody-Two-Shoes Maru would tattle at the first opportunity. Mom probably pays her for info, passing notes through the a secret wall passthru between the clinic and the house. Maru even hangs out on that park bench like all the time just to keep tabs on everyone. I'll bet she's worn a personalized custom-fit butt-groove into the stone of that thing by now. When trying on a new pair of overalls, she probably doesn't even know if they fits until she sits!

Giggling to herself now, Abigail found she was in the familiar territory of Cindersap Forest, rounding the stagnant pond full of lazy fish and breathing a small sign of relief that Leah wasn't behind a sketchbook on the pond pier. What is she always drawing, it'd better not be me! I should see if she picks up a purple crayon, oops, colored pencil the next time I forget to avoid her properly.

However this time Abigail kept walking around the pond, arriving at the spot where the teal-haired lady occasionally hangs out with her pig. About to mentally wander off on some other silly tirade, Abigail realized that she wasn't moving anywhere else. Just standing there almost ignoring--

The woods. The dark woods.

Deep breath, Abby. Nobody else is here. She removed the sword from her pack and set her eyes upon it. Delicately crafted, pale and light, oddly always seeming slightly smaller than she mentally pictured it.

Just like me!

A big smile spread across Abigail's face as she stashed her pack in a crook just outside the makeshift entrance. She took another deep breath and squeezed between the slightly-too-crowded trees, sword in the lead, into the Dark Forest.
_____

It was dark, not 'likely to be eaten by a grue' dark, Abigail thought, but dark enough for things to be hiding. They-- they should be hiding, from me! I have a thing-poker here and they don't wanna be poked. She waved the sword in front of her in a not-very-poking manner as her eyes adjusted to the conditions. There were small shafts of sunlight spotlighting various areas, which just made the considerable number of gloomy bits even more difficult to discern. Dust, pollen, and perhaps the spirits of animals and people long deceased were suspended in the sunbeams, masking anything behind from her gaze.

Slowly she crept farther from the entrance, keeping to the central area away from the densest brush, noting the perfusion of gnarled, mangled stumps from long-felled trees interspersed among newer growth. Fiddlehead ferns dotted the ground here and there and she had just noticed a flashy red spotted mushroom when she caught some movement from the corner of her eye.

A-- goo-thing? was bobbing along the edge of the thicker trees to her left, seemingly minding its own business. Minding? Can something see-thru have a mind? Or business, for that matter? Crouched low enough that she could smell her shoes (OK, maybe I need a new pair), she edged around the thing with sword in front at the ready, but it apparently decided that was an illegal move and started towards Abigail.

"Stay back, you!" she yelled instinctively, which rang out with astonishing clarity amongst the restiveness of the Dark Woods, initially startling her with its vehemence but later on, she recalled, accompanied by maybe only the very tiniest bit of shrillness. Gotta keep the baddies on their back foot! Goo-pad-thing. Whatever.

Apparently Mr. Green Goo didn't have ears as he kept approaching Abigail and she remembered what to do, mostly from instinct, some from laser focus on the green thing. Jab, pull back, jab again, slash and it collapsed into an unmoving pile of goo. Not sure she was done or it was done for, Abigail remained at the ready for a few seconds more until her overtensed muscles requested a small respite. Relaxing just a bit, hearing a knuckle crack from the release, she realized she hadn't looked anywhere else for at least 5 minutes or so? Or was it 10 seconds? She had no idea how long that took as the intense focus of the task at hand had closed off the rest of the world, universe, and time from her experience.

Quickly looking around to the point of risking whiplash, Abigail spotted additional movement here and there from beneath the trees and resolved not to challenge these. Who knew how many of these slimy things were hiding under there, ready to pounce and... do whatever they do.

Hey!

The gooey thing didn't touch me! I totally took care of it with a few swipes from the sword and it went great! At that point Abigail was wearing likely the world's toothiest smile, one that her dentist could only dream of during a checkup. She felt like dancing on the spot and if she'd had the flute with her, would probably have broken it out but been unable to play as giant smiles and embouchure are rare bedfellows.

Trying to calm herself down and take the rest of this adventure seriously, Abigail kept moving along the somewhat linear central clearing, noting an even more fetid pond than the Cindersap one to her left. There was a goo slime just bouncing there out in the open on the far side. 'Far' in this case wasn't really far enough in Abigail's opinion, but the slime was apparently entertaining itself with the bobbing stalk on it's head and was uninterested in tasty purple morsels.

To her right was an old, dilapidated structure, barely more than a broken cobbled clearing encircled by a few fluted columns in various states of disrepair, and featuring a squat stone carving of a man on the far side. Attempting to keep an eye on the now very close-seeming overgrowth and also the fat statue, Abigail drew close enough to read:

Old Master Cannoli

Still searching for the sweetest taste...

OK sure dude, looks like you never found it and got frozen here under mounds of bird poo and bat guano and--

But Abigail had taken her attention away from the woody undergrowth for too long as 2 goo-guys emerged from close by on either side, and from a considerably shorter range than the first one. She was ready for the one on her right and got a good swipe into its guts but the one on the left pounced for the head and connected.

Dazed, covered in gross slime, Abigail reeled back and fell into the bushes in disarray. The first slime then pounced but missed as Abby was even closer to the ground than usual, thank you for falling just this once. The second slime disengaged after Abigail whipped her head around to clear it off, and she scrambled, half-crawling away in the general direction of the entrance. She had the chance to run and save her skin and started to back away but--

But.

Why am I here?

To confront my fears. To validate my training. To level up. To master something.

To win.

Taking another deep breath, attempting not to inhale whatever muck was dripping down her face, Abigail steadied the sword in front of her as one of the slimy things bobbed hurriedly towards her and poised to strike. But poised too close. One savage Abigail swipe and it was a puddle of former slime insides. The second one was apparently unconcerned with this turn of events as it moved closer, but Abigail took the initiative and advanced, jab, slash, jab and it was all over.

All over Abigail, that is. These things did not seem to die in a dignified manner particularly often and ended up covering much of Abigail's front with more goo.

OK. OK. OK I'm done here. Point proven. Hah, point! Abigail thought looking at the sword. She retreated out of the Dark Woods covered in rather more gelatin than ever before and once back out in Cindersap, wondered what to do. How to explain being covered in green stuff?

???

And then she remembered.

Luckily Farmer Bobbi had left the more remote part of her farm completely untouched, probably because Abigail mentioned to her how much she'd loved exploring The Wilds before Bobbi arrived. Bobbi was so sweet to listen and leave some of it untamed. Grabbing her pack, Abigail made her way through The Jungle as she had so many times in her life, sneaking up above the bus stop and past Seb's place towards the train crossing.

But more importantly the Spa.

Abigail freshened up as much as possible before changing out to her workout clothes and then dunked the slimy stuff first in the little pool outside to get most of the muck off, and then into the spa itself to get the rest out. Mostly. Also her hair almost maybe seemed to have only the slightest green tinge. It's still SUPER purple, though!

Green

Nice. I will NOT let Mom see that.

Squeezing them out as much as possible, she got back into her normal clothes as there was no way anyone was gonna see her in the workout clothes, especially Seb! Well, not unplanned anyway. Wet will have to do, I'll just tell Mom I fell in the mountain lake looking for frogs.

On her way back home, Abigail replayed the day's events in her head again and again.

A real adventure. Swashbuckling. Evil Serpents! Mysterious curses!

Swordplay!

Abigail had to consciously control herself from hopping and jumping around for joy and was mostly successful. It was probably good that she bumped into nobody on the way home as explaining the disconcertingly shining eyes, huge smile, bouncy skip and soggy clothes would have been impossible without blurting out what actually happened.

Those silly sausages probably wouldn't have believed it anyway.

Boo1972

Farmer
I was worried I wouldn’t like this story because, even though I love Abigail, I think she’s a wannabe. I really don’t think swinging a sword around the graveyard is going to prepare anyone for battle. But defeating green slimes with a bone sword I can get behind.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I was worried I wouldn’t like this story because, even though I love Abigail, I think she’s a wannabe. I really don’t think swinging a sword around the graveyard is going to prepare anyone for battle. But defeating green slimes with a bone sword I can get behind.
I had the same reaction to Abigail's in-game sword aspirations and I don't specifically recall why I went a new sword route or the Bone Sword in particular. LOL and I wrote it less than 2 days ago!

I guess it just didn't seem consistent that some random sword which was likely not much better than the cruddy Rusty Sword the Farmer gets from Marlon could be a real weapon. I happen to like the Bone Sword a whole lot (after the Insect Head of course!) and figured that if the Farmer had already seen Abby's 6 :heart: event and obtained the Galaxy Sword, that she would think Abby would appreciate a better sword, one that's easy for a smaller person (Abby's sprite is quite short) to handle. And the Bone Sword just fit.

OK I guess I did remember, right there.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Creeping inside the entrance, Abigail noted the humidity and warmth were even worse in here and was surprised to see signs of civilization inside. A pool of water to one side and stone columns at the far end lit from beneath by... lava? Seriously? I mean, it's a volcano and all but fresh lava meandering by? Pausing at this conundrum, Abigail remembered the planning which brought her to this moment.
_____

Abigail hemmed and hawed about descending deeper into the Mines with its low-ceilinged claustrophobia and even tried the rickety mine elevator down to double digit levels a couple of times, but found herself agitated by the feeling of open ground beneath her feet and maybe thin earthen floors above her head waiting to collapse. She continued to make occasional trips to the now slightly less Scary Woods-- Dark Woods! Not scary at all... to dispatch some of the slimy things but the rewards from this were better technique, and not really anything more compelling. Ferns, mushrooms, and ehhh, slime were nice and all but she wanted something more interesting, something new.

Days later, Farmer Bobbi, who had made herself so scarce that some people thought she'd moved out (or been eaten by a Mine monster), showed up at the Saloon one Friday night and announced just such a more interesting and new something to everyone in attendance. Apparently Willy had magically fixed up some dinghy he probably inherited from that Winter Show Mermaid after she wanted her water closets cleaned out. And for the low low price of 1,000g (!!!) he'd take us over the seas to a remote, newly renovated resort for the day.

When nobody was paying attention, Elliott leaned over to Leah and Abigail and mentioned, "I've seen the boat and I hope the fee goes directly to making it more seaworthy." He paused for a second, "well, actually seaworthy. You see, Miss Bobbi helped Willy with the repairs but mentioned that she'd never done that type of thing before. Still, it continues to float a few days later now and I've even seen Willy steaming out a number of times with Farmer Bobbi propped on the bow like some ancient sculpture, breaking the winds." Abigail giggled to herself when Elliott finished his description and received a slightly quizzical glance from him.

"Ah..." Abigail recovered, "more like a dog sticking its head out the car door?" She snorted, "with her tongue flapping in the wind?"

Leah cracked a small smile but all Elliott managed was, "Yes, perhaps more like that." Stick in the mud, Abby thought, no wonder you live at the edge of low tide.

Leah was the first to address the problem, "That price is pretty steep, maybe we could go as a group? How many does the boat hold?"

"--before rolling over and sending us straight to the Mermaid's living room?" finished Abby. "All according to plan, of course."

"Stop it," Leah protested nervously, "I'm never gonna go at this rate!"

"Willy said he can take 7 passengers at once," Elliot reassured them. "He used 7 large fish barrels which should be heavier than any of us, and did a number of trips to test."

"Ugh, can you imagine the smell on deck with 500 pounds of rotten fish spread everywhere," Abigail said, making a disgusted face.

Elliott paused for a second in thought and a small smile curled involuntarily from the side of his face. "I'd wager that's why Miss Bobbi positioned herself as the ship's carved figurehead. That's where the fresh air is."
_____

High prices or not, there was a lot of jockeying for this new experience and predictably the oldies won out for the first trip. The joke was on them however as the parents got to work out all the kinks on the island and the following generation had time to buy new swimsuits. "Heh, mom barely fits in her old suit any more," Abigail said snidely to Emily at the Saloon, "meanwhile I just got a new one that's even darker purple than my old one. I dunno why I had such a bright one, probably couldn't find anything better."

"I just finished dyeing and setting my suit, I just buy a white one and then it's jewel tone time!" Emily said with her almost disconcertingly bright smile.

"Um, so is that setting bit anything like dyeing eggs?" Abigail asked. "'Cause as I walked in here and took a breath, I was instantly back at the Egg Hunt and had to check the date in case I missed it!"

"Yup, vinegar." Emily said brightly. "I have it in the back so I can monitor everything because someone didn't want the house 'all stunk up'," she finished with air quotes.

Abigail took a deep breath. "You know, if your suit smells like that on the trip, maybe I'll stand next to you--" Abigail caught herself, blushing very slightly, "uh, to avoid that sea smell," she finished, wrinkling her nose. Good recovery! "Could I get a glass of ice water?" Always so warm in the Summer...

"Looking forward to it," Emily said as she got Abigail her hastily needed refreshment.
_____

Eavesdropping on the Tuesday workout conversation was easy as the village elders were too busy gushing about everything on the island to get much exercise in. Most interesting was a discussion about a volcano there which apparently was still smoking and maybe a cave system underneath it where some old lava tubes had receded after creating the south part of the island. Apparently the farmer girl said it was dangerous and everyone should stay away but Abigail knew this information was meant for her to find out. Now this is more interesting than the old Mine, and Abigail started to plan how to explore it. The group trip would work out well as she could probably sneak off when nobody was looking.

Abigail borrowed dad's display backpack the next day when he wasn't in the store and wondered where the bone sword would fit. Unfortunately after trying a number of compartments, she remembered that Bobbi's sword usually stuck out of her pack a bit, so it'd have to go somewhere else. Of course now it looks bigger than usual once I need to hide it, grrrr. Typical! But the pack covered her back pretty well and with a bunch of towels, the biggest parasol she could find, and some changes stuffed in there (gotta cover yourself from the sun to protect the skin!), she decided that a strap to hide it on her back under her dress would work reasonably well. It might look a bit funny, but with the big pack on nobody should notice.

Just have to stand up straight. Bleah, that's going to be the worst of it, slouching is comfortable which is why everyone does it! Abigail attached a makeshift scabbard inside the back of her fourth-favorite blue and purple sleeveless dress (just in case something went wrong) and practiced not cutting her shoulder while removing the sword. There was no putting it back, that risked lethality, so it was: Sword puts on dress, then Abby puts on dress. Whatever, it all worked mostly well enough.
_____

On the day of the trip, the twentysomething women met at the dock and held their noses, hoping the breeze on the island blew the other direction, otherwise nasal clothespins would be in order. And there's a reason that Elliott is single. Abigail kept her pack on by necessity with the parasol sticking conspicuously out for effect, and just leaned against the tiny cabin as an excuse to stay standing, explaining that the boat's rocking was minimized that way. Which got Haley and Leah closer than she preferred, but they did provide additional cover for her contraband-mandated stance. Approaching the island from the north, Abigail could clearly see her volcanic objective and as Willy considerately took his time rounding the island, Abigail made mental notes of which way to head. It was only by the time they were arriving at the island that Abigail noticed that the smell on deck wasn't so bad. Mom or Jodi probably ripped Willy a new one about cleanliness, poor guy probably didn't know what was coming, heh!

Unloading her pack in the far corner of the beach resort house, she went through all the typical motions of everyone else after getting into their suits, ooohing and ahhing about the cute crabs and snails, the fish below their feet in the water, the sun. Blech, the sun. This parasol is the best thing ever, maybe I should have hidden the sword in here!

After Abigail retreated to the cooler shade of an umbrella, Emily approached, sat down next to her, and said, "This is great! I even got the evening off from Gus so I could stay until dark!" She leaned in with her shoulder a little too close and said, "take a sniff?"

It took a split second but Abigail regained her composure from the not entirely unwanted but surprising invasion of personal space and caught the faint note of dyed eggs. Ok, and dyed swimsuits. "Ah, that takes me back to those days of youth," Abigail said wistfully with eyes closed for effect, "last season when I yet again won the Egg Hunt over that upstart in overalls." She bumped Emily's shoulder with hers.

"That's why I never compete, I have no chance. I'd rather dye them anyway!" Emily said as she got up and walked over to the water to take a swim. Abigail's gaze lingered for a few seconds before returning to the task at hand. Mostly. Stupid distractions, focus!

Her conspicuous parasol also provided cover of another sort. After "sunning" herself for what felt like a long enough time, under an umbrella of course, Abigail excused herself saying that the bright island sun was too much exposure for her pale skin. At which point Haley noted maybe a bit louder than necessary that you can't get a proper tan if you don't spend more time outside.

Oh go play with the stingrays over there, won't you? And stop crossing your arms that way, I see right through you. You look like you're holding up a fruit platter.

Retreating back to the beachhouse, Abigail changed back into her pre-sworded dress, stuffed some crunchy snacks into a waist bag positioned to the back, and waited a bit for something to happen outside. Luckily Maru provided an opportunity as she'd been tossing rocks towards some crab holes in the sand at water's edge and finally trapped one outside its den with a lucky bounce. As everyone crowded around with oohs, and Maru's protestations not to crowd around as she just wanted to have a closer look, Abigail quickly snuck out and made north towards the volcano without looking back.

The way was gratifyingly clear, passing an overly large bird apparently making a nest in a fruit stand and further on, a tent from which issued almost predictably cloying island tunes. Probably a tourist trap, keep moving! Abigail found herself staring at all the lush vegetation and occasional rope bridges, noting that maybe this was just an old movie set or something? It could even make a cool video game! But all too soon, she spotted the foot of the volcano and paused.

Reconsidering. "Too soon?" I want to be here. Back and forth she argued with herself about why she was here. Everyone else enjoying a restful seaside relaxation and she's off on her own sneaking up on a volcano?

A smirky smile cracked over her face. Exactly that. That other stuff's OK I guess, especially Emily. And she'll still be there after this adventure.

This is great!

Credit: hiding a sword in a dress, Jill Bearup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ5Z6awBSb8

Last edited:

Boo1972

Farmer
Oh my goodness, I’m planning some exploring and fighting for Abigail too! Although, things arent going to go well for her in mine. I guess great minds think alike. I’m enjoying this so far!